WAG Skipping levels 4 AND 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Leila

Proud Parent
My daughter’s coach said that he wants let my daughter finish competing level 3, and move her to optionals at level 6 (insert horrified emoji here lol). Our state competes compulsory levels in the fall, and optionals in the spring. My question is... will she have to score out of level 4 AND level 5? They have a level 3 state meet in December, and then 2 more meets after. How is it even possible? My daughter is thrilled, and I am very proud of her. She has scored consistent 38s AA this season, her scores for each event reached as high as 9.85. She does private lessons, but rarely, and the coach says that she has progressed so much, and is very strong. During practice and private lessons, he works on upskills. She is currently working on/almost getting giants on the bar. I in no way asked to move her up, the coach is just saying that level 4 will be way too easy for her. But my main question is... will she has to score out of both levels to go from level 3 to 6? Thank you for your input!

My daughter’s coach said that he wants let my daughter finish competing level 3, and move her to optionals at level 6 (insert horrified emoji here lol). Our state competes compulsory levels in the fall, and optionals in the spring. My question is... will she have to score out of level 4 AND level 5? They have a level 3 state meet in December, and then 2 more meets after. How is it even possible? My daughter is thrilled, and I am very proud of her. She has scored consistent 38s AA this season, her scores for each event reached as high as 9.85. She does private lessons, but rarely, and the coach says that she has progressed so much, and is very strong. During practice and private lessons, he works on upskills. She is currently working on/almost getting giants on the bar. I in no way asked to move her up, the coach is just saying that level 4 will be way too easy for her. But my main question is... will she has to score out of both levels to go from level 3 to 6? Thank you for your input!

Additional info... daughter’s gym doesn’t do/compete level 5.

My DD attended a gym once that didn’t like compulsories, so they just didn’t do them. They trained all girls on team for L7 right from the start. When they were ready (and old enough) they scored them out of L4 and L5 in-house and the girls went right to L7. That was the plan anyway- it was a new gym and we weren’t there that long. I would ask *when* he plans for your DD to compete again after L3. I would think it wouldn’t be this optional season, but that after her current season she’ll uptrain until next year.

I agree... I think that my daughter would train for a year before competing again. And she wouldn’t mind haha, she hates competitions lol!

My daughter did that a few years ago. She went from lv 3 to lv 6. She scored out of lv 4 and 5 at one in house score out meet. It was a tough jump but it can be done.

One of my daughter's teammates did that last year. She competed Level 3 in the fall. The next fall she scored out of Level 4 and 5, and then competed Level 6 starting in January.

Yes she will have to score out of both That can be done in two separate meets or all in one if it’s able to be worked out.

How old is she? My daughter came from another organization, igc, and scored out 4 and 5 at one meet. It was stressful for me but she was fine and happy to do it. Mine was yenat the time. I think if you are ok with it she is ok with it and you feel she is old and mature enough why not.

Reactions: sce
Like others have already said, she will have to score out of both. That aspect will also be more challenging than it would have been a few years ago, since she will need to score at least a 34 AA for mobility out of L4.

Another thing that will be more challenging than it used to be is vault. She will need to learn a front handspring vault for the L4 and L5 score outs, and either a yurchenko, tusk or front handspring front timer onto a mat stack for L6.

I’m sure this year will be a whirlwind. Enjoy the excitement of new skills and accomplishments.
Good luck to your daughter!

Like others have already said, she will have to score out of both. That aspect will also be more challenging than it would have been a few years ago, since she will need to score at least a 34 AA for mobility out of L4.

Another thing that will be more challenging than it used to be is vault. She will need to learn a front handspring vault for the L4 and L5 score outs, and either a yurchenko, tusk or front handspring front timer onto a mat stack for L6.

I’m sure this year will be a whirlwind. Enjoy the excitement of new skills and accomplishments.
Good luck to your daughter!
Tsuk timers are super easy . I have never had a child not be able to do at least a timer. Now tusk timers may be a bit harder. ;). I know I know , I am probably the worst speller here but I couldn’t resist. ;)

I don't believe any one is rushing to get to 6 because it's easier but instead because they want to be optional gymnasts. They may also believe they are helping their gumnast reach for their dreams.
They were, believe me. I have been around 15+ years, I go to 25 - 30 meets a year, I listen to a lot of conversations from coaches, parents, and gymnasts. There was a lot of talk this year about how now that 6 is harder, hopefully coaches will stop rushing kids through levels 4 and 5. And the chairperson of Xcel cannot say it enough that Xcel is not the road to optionals, nor is it to replace compulsories--both of which is being done more and more. Xcel is supposed to be for girls who don't have the time, money, or skills for regular JO levels, or who need a less intense year of competing due to injury, sickness, fear, etc. But, because so many gyms now do Xcel, then 1 meet 4 and 1 meet 5, and then put the gymnasts in level 6, they have increased the minimum move-up score and made 6 a little harder than 5 in the hopes that coaches will stop promising parents and gymnasts a quick trip to optionals. There is a reason they have the skills on each compulsory level that build on the previous skills, and are based on 1 level per year, give or take.

Tsuk timers are super easy . I have never had a child not be able to do at least a timer. Now tusk timers may be a bit harder. ;). I know I know , I am probably the worst speller here but I couldn’t resist. ;)
It’s not just the vault. Beam requirements have changed too. And if you have a weak fhs vault, what’s the benefit of rushing from that to a tsuk/tusk timer? And yes, a yurchenko timer over the table takes some getting used to!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back