WAG Skipping levels 4 AND 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It’s not just the vault. Beam requirements have changed too. And if you have a weak fhs vault, what’s the benefit of rushing from that to a tsuk/tusk timer? And yes, a yurchenko timer over the table takes some getting used to!
There are some girls that have weak FHS but do much better with a "roundoff" vault. The tsuk timer is just a roundoff to the stacked mats. My YG didn't do well with the FHS, so she switched to 1/2 on-repulsion off (roundoff) for Xcel Gold. Now, she competes 1/2 On-1/2 Off and it is beautiful. She can also do a pretty good tsuk timer ;)

There are some girls that have weak FHS but do much better with a "roundoff" vault. The tsuk timer is just a roundoff to the stacked mats. My YG didn't do well with the FHS, so she switched to 1/2 on-repulsion off (roundoff) for Xcel Gold. Now, she competes 1/2 On-1/2 Off and it is beautiful. She can also do a pretty good tsuk timet ;)
So true! FHS vault never did agree with my daughter but she slays Yurchenkos! Never dreamed back in Levels 5 and 7 that vault would ever be her strongest event but it has been since she started flipping vaults.

There are some girls that have weak FHS but do much better with a "roundoff" vault. The tsuk timer is just a roundoff to the stacked mats. My YG didn't do well with the FHS, so she switched to 1/2 on-repulsion off (roundoff) for Xcel Gold. Now, she competes 1/2 On-1/2 Off and it is beautiful. She can also do a pretty good tsuk timer ;)
Yes, apparently my daughter confirms that the tsuk timer is very easy. Initially she was doing the yurchenko timer, but I think they are going to wait for level 7 to do that. I do think though that they were trying to up the difficulty of 6 with these changes.

Last year my daughter did that (double season) she did only one meet of 3,4, and 5 then went to level 6 in Jan. So it’s possible

The tsukahara timer may be easy to “do”, but I am assuming a lot of girls with weaker vaulting will like down a lot and lose their body shape, there will be plenty of deductions.

How old is she? My daughter came from another organization, igc, and scored out 4 and 5 at one meet. It was stressful for me but she was fine and happy to do it. Mine was yenat the time. I think if you are ok with it she is ok with it and you feel she is old and mature enough why not.
Mine is almost 10 :) and yes, I feel like she is mature enough. She is also eager and excited to learn new skills

Reactions: sce
It can be done. I'd just ask when she would start competing 6 so you know if she'd have a full year or just a week after doing 4/5 score outs!!
I would expect a full year for sure. This competitive season competitions have been non stop, and while we live for competitions, and love them, I cannot imagine having a week off and jumping into the competitions-hotels-schedules bandwagon again lol :)

My daughter’s coach said that he wants let my daughter finish competing level 3, and move her to optionals at level 6 (insert horrified emoji here lol). Our state competes compulsory levels in the fall, and optionals in the spring. My question is... will she have to score out of level 4 AND level 5? They have a level 3 state meet in December, and then 2 more meets after. How is it even possible? My daughter is thrilled, and I am very proud of her. She has scored consistent 38s AA this season, her scores for each event reached as high as 9.85. She does private lessons, but rarely, and the coach says that she has progressed so much, and is very strong. During practice and private lessons, he works on upskills. She is currently working on/almost getting giants on the bar. I in no way asked to move her up, the coach is just saying that level 4 will be way too easy for her. But my main question is... will she has to score out of both levels to go from level 3 to 6? Thank you for your input!
Thank you so much for your replies! I finally understand how it works. I really need to speak to the coach, but I hate bothering him, so many parents catch him after practice with many questions... Personally, I think it would be ideal for my DD to train/compete level 4 next year, and then skip to level 7... BUT one of the problems I see, and I think the coach thinks the same way, my DD and another girl in her level are getting skills for higher levels already, and both excel at meets (although excelling at level 3 has nothing to do at doing good at optionals, or so I hear). Well, besides my DD and another girl, the rest of level 3 are average, and much slower to get skills. I love them all, and these are just facts. But I can definitely see that these girls will slow down my DD and her friend. The coach can uptrain and give individualized attention only so much. Most of the higher skills my DD learns during private lessons. So I’m thinking that this is one of his reasons, to have a level of girls of similar abilities and skills. So we will see what happens! My daughter is excited and eager to learn new skills, but the decision is not final yet, so we will see :)

Thank you so much for your replies! I finally understand how it works. I really need to speak to the coach, but I hate bothering him, so many parents catch him after practice with many questions... Personally, I think it would be ideal for my DD to train/compete level 4 next year, and then skip to level 7... BUT one of the problems I see, and I think the coach thinks the same way, my DD and another girl in her level are getting skills for higher levels already, and both excel at meets (although excelling at level 3 has nothing to do at doing good at optionals, or so I hear). Well, besides my DD and another girl, the rest of level 3 are average, and much slower to get skills. I love them all, and these are just facts. But I can definitely see that these girls will slow down my DD and her friend. The coach can uptrain and give individualized attention only so much. Most of the higher skills my DD learns during private lessons. So I’m thinking that this is one of his reasons, to have a level of girls of similar abilities and skills. So we will see what happens! My daughter is excited and eager to learn new skills, but the decision is not final yet, so we will see :)

Scoring out of L4 and L5 can definitely be done in one meet. DD has a couple of teammates who did so. Just be prepared to repeat a level if some skills get lost or regress. The development of gymnastics skills is not necessarily linear, and it's important to reassure your kid that that's OK! I'm thinking here of a couple of DD's teammates who have developed fears of going backwards on beam or bars, and that's required them to repeat levels. These were kids who were fast-tracked in the early stages, so they viewed repeating as a failure and their self-confidence has suffered as a result. Just make sure to do what you can to make your child be gracious and patient with herself if this happens to her.

I don't believe any one is rushing to get to 6 because it's easier but instead because they want to be optional gymnasts. They may also believe they are helping their gumnast reach for their dreams.
I have to agree, I am surprised to say the least. We do have a very strong gym in the area, and awesome coaches. Right now my DD is preparing for the state meet... I will talk to coaches after to see what their plans are exactly. I think that she should do at least a level 4, and then possibly go to 7. Seeing other girls skip a level, I see that the first competing level they usually struggle, and catch up in the next year. So we should see.

She is only 5.. but her gym is notorious for holding back girls.
Yeah I know 5 is young, and is 2 years before tops testing, but it was heartbreaking to read! She wanted to quit. She is 5 and has a lot of higher skills and level 2 isn't competed for scores in many states! I guess I "got the feelz*" on it, and then there are girls barely reaching 33 and headed to the next level. I'm not that familiar with AZ gyms, but if a girl is training tops and competing and getting plenty of AA podiums, holding back just doesn't seem like a good ROI for the little bitty gymnast.

Yeah I know 5 is young, and is 2 years before tops testing, but it was heartbreaking to read! She wanted to quit. She is 5 and has a lot of higher skills and level 2 isn't competed for scores in many states! I guess I "got the feelz*" on it, and then there are girls barely reaching 33 and headed to the next level. I'm not that familiar with AZ gyms, but if a girl is training tops and competing and getting plenty of AA podiums, holding back just doesn't seem like a good ROI for the little bitty gymnast.

She had to be 6 to compete L3.

We love her.. she is the cutest thing ever! Her scores weren't "that" high for level 2... but either way that gym will be holding back girls that scored 36's and 37's..even in level 7!

Reactions: sce
Her post made it sound like the rest of the team was moving up.
Most of her team scored 38+ at the State Meet. She had her lowest (according to MMS) score of the season at just under 34 ... but she had scored as high as 36.1 earlier in the season. State meet was Nov 10 and it was posted that she is repeating L2 next year on Nov. 16 - WTH??? Have they NOT heard of training for the next level and see where she is at at the beginning of summer?!?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back