Skipping Levels to barely qualify for States--Is it Worth it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am sure every situation is different. However, it is important to note that the aggressive coaching approach used by some of these gyms is likely a screening process. That is, throwing big skills early and being fast tracked, etc. Yes, for those who undergo this process, there will be some (very) successful achievers but there will be many times more who will not make it to be a good all around gymnast.

I am not qualified to say nor have I been around large and high profile gym to know for sure, but from where I'm standing as a parent I have seen the latter scenario way too many times. Looking back, I am just glad that my now 13-yo took the "slow" road (and so is she because she is as happy as she can be).

Thanks JudyS--your post gives a lot of insight. I am curious...did your dd do the Mason Dixon League as well as USAG at the same time? You mentioned that she didn't really compete at the USAG Level (only to test out) and she got most of her meet experience from Mason Dixon. How many hours a week was she training when she competing Mason Dixon?

You are right in that we never know the path not taken. But being a Level 8 at age 10 is quite an achievement!! Congrats to your dd!!

She did do both. The first year, she did level A as she trained USAG. She was probably training 12 hours. Then the next 2 years, she competed Level D (due to Mason-Dixon rules) as she competed Level 7 and then Level 8. She was training 20+ hours at the time.

P.S. I always enjoy your Mason-Dixon videos because sometimes I catch a glimpse of our old gym or someone I know. :)

She did do both. The first year, she did level A as she trained USAG. She was probably training 12 hours. Then the next 2 years, she competed Level D (due to Mason-Dixon rules) as she competed Level 7 and then Level 8. She was training 20+ hours at the time.

P.S. I always enjoy your Mason-Dixon videos because sometimes I catch a glimpse of our old gym or someone I know. :)

Wow!! 20 hours a week is a lot! I bet she blew away the competition in the Mason Dixon League! Our optionals (Level A-D) only train 7-10 hrs a week. That is a big difference in training hours. I must say they do get a lot accomplished in that time frame and I am often amazed at how they hold their own against the kids that train twice as much. I do love the flexibility that the MDL allows with time committment and training--dd now has time to do other things and will make the transition to jr high and high school easier when wanting to do the school activities.

Thanks for the kind words on the videos! Our next meet is March 27th--just around the corner!!

With skipping levels i think it needs to be done at a rate at which is not stressful for the kid. Fast tracking is great in the sense that you can get to optionals fast but you need to make sure you are not pushing the child too hard because then they will hate it, want to quit and now you have no gymmie on your hands let alone a talented one.

I think it needs balance.
Push them hard while not over doing it
but ensure they are working at a pace they want to!

I think it depends on the gymnast. I know some gyms will fast track if the girl or boy is older so they aren't the only 15 yo at L4. If they have the skill and are getting lower scores because they have only done the routine a few times. I think if they, the parents and the coach don't have an issue with it and the girl (or boy) is getting the mobility score then go for it. Not everyone wants to be a Nastia.

States are not always the end-all, be-all for some gymnasts, particularly those hoping to go elite and especially when it comes to compulsories. Some coaches "skip" through compulsories quickly in order to have more time with the gymnast at the optional level. Those coaches often don't spend time perfecting the compulsory routines. They teach the girls enough of the routine to "score out" but they don't spend time getting every pose or arm position or dance move just right.

There could also be a lot going on "behind the scores." You never know if the gymnast could be competing just for the competition experience, or to participate with her team, or just coming back from injury, or any of a dozen other reasons. Often the scores don't tell the whole story.

I agree..... IF the girls have all of that basics... proper form, great skills, etc. then GO FOR IT!!! Unfortunately, if they have the whippy looking back handsprings, low casts, etc. at the compulsory levels, what good is rushing through those levels, when they haven't perfected the basics? It is so much more difficult to UNLEARN bad habits than to develop them properly in the first place.....

There are too many variables to form a generalized opinion.

You'd have to talk to the coach, parents and the 'fast track' kid to determine if it's worth it.

I really have to question the timing of your post MdGymMom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....No.

I would have PM'd her in the first place if I thought it was more appropriate.

Hmmm....No.

I would have PM'd her in the first place if I thought it was more appropriate.

I'm sorry I have no idea what you are talking about. :confused: I think the best discussions come on forums where something which seems obvious on the surface is discussed from all points of view and you hear a variety of new ideas about a subject. Broadening your knowledge and understanding. I thought that was one of those discussions. :)

I am soooo confused now. I thought this was a great discussion with great input from many parents and coaches. I am not sure what the implied issue is, but I know I have enjoyed this thread.

I think lots of point of view were presented and discussed, and compared to other threads, that have gone crazy lately, this one has been placid beyond belief!!!

I was fast-tracked, but if the scores are just qualifying for States, maybe she could go at the level she is at now, or the one above her maybe?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back