skipping levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymmom3

Hello! My DD is beginning level 6 after an incredible level 5 season, where she took first numerous times, including at States. She can do pretty much everything the new level 7s can do, and wants to skip level 6. What would be some good reasons why she would not be recommended to do this? I am sure her coaches know what they are doing, but I am curious and would appreciate some other parents' views/experiences.

Thanks!:)

Thank you for directing me to that discussion; it was very helpful!:)

Sometimes staying at one level is good for their confidence... You know, they get first every time. But since she did that in level five, does she need it again? It depends on what kind of person she is. If she's a kid who needs lots and lots of encouragements and "You're so great!"s, you might want to keep her there and let her really really perfect her skills and move to level seven with great skills. But if she likes to be challenged, she might bet bored. Also, I don't see a point in hurrying unless she's really great and she wants to see the elite level someday. However, level seven is so much fun, with your own routines... I would present all this to her and let her make a decision.

My gymmie was good as a L5 and even though her placements at times in L6 weren't as good, I thought she became a better competitor and gymnast with that additional year of compulsory(we don't compete L4). L6 is tougher than L5---no doubt about that. The judges want those skills bigger, stronger and with confidence. I remember at the 1st L6 meet one of the other moms leaned over and said, "where did all those 9s from Level 5 go?" I think bars is the biggest challenge and doing that year of really working on good clear hips, "baby giants", casting to handstand(not required) and really getting the feeling of "swinging" bars helped her be very successful as a L7. Beam can be a little bit of a challenge also with the bwo, full turn and more advanced jump combo.

JMO, but I think L6 really sets them up nicely for moving onto optionals and as it is said around here alot----its not a sprint, its a marathon.

My dd competed level 6 last season and I am really glad she did. The girls who are level 7 with her now that are skipping 6 are definitely not as confident in some areas. These girls too scored very high, a few state champs, etc. One girl actually has said several times she doesn't want to do 7 - but her mom is making her - but that's another story.

I thought you couldn't skip level 6 to 7. Don't you have to get a 32 to move on to the next level?

USAG only requires a 31AA to move from L6 to L7 which is not really a competitive AA score. When people say "skipping" I think they mean skip a seaon---they still have to do at least one meet at each level to get that mobility score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back