Slip Disc as a result of Back-flips! HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was passionate about back handsprings and backflips and started taking training from an unprofessional.
Without much practices of back walkover and other flexibility, I started doing back handsprings( Though I did practice the bridges) and I am able to do back handspring fairly well.
As a result of 3-4 months practice, I got back pains and finally, after mri test Its a slip disc!
Has any other gymnast faced such a problem before?
Any tips on how to overcome it(I am going to doctor but i.e not helping very much)
And will I be able to do backflips and stuff again in life?

I have 2 bulging discs, and a hair line fracture in my L4 and L5 lumbar. Im not sure what caused it, as it was hurting from October 2011 and I was training through it... But then in March 2012 one day at gym I was vaulting then it just started hurt terribly bad and I could barely move to get out of the pit. My mom came and got me and we went to the doctor, they did an MRI. I have been off of gym for 3 months now, and it doesn't feel much better... I am finally getting back into the gym and the only that seems to help it is stretching. Pikes, straddles, hip and pretzel stretches work the best for me. If you can see a physical therapist, it will help a lot because they can do traction on your back, which stretches it out. I was told BLTS: B for no bending, L for no lifting, T for no twisting, and S for no slouching when sitting. Also avoid lifting anything more than 10 lbs. Make sure to rest a lot, and do a lot of ice on your back! Don't do heat though, because it makes the discs flame up more.

You will be able to go back, but it takes time. :)

Please do not give, or take, advice on back problems here. To the op, go see a doctor, back problems are common in gymnastics, you need advice from a professional.

Ijaide I know you are trying to be helpful, but please do not give advice on medical issues, it could make things worse.

I'm wondering why you say your doctor is not helping very much.

Follow Dr's advice - back issues usually take TIME to heal and if you don't take the time the DR wants you to take things could get worse. There is no "quick way" to fix a back.

Why don't you think your DR is helping? I'm sure your parents wouldn't keep you at a DR that wasn't helping.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back