Parents slow and steady... or never gonna happen?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What I meant when I posted about preferring to know that my dd may never be asked to team wasn't so much about steering her out of the sport entirely, but maybe finding a better fit. A different gym or different program within the gym. There are so many gyms out there, and they all have their own standards so it just seems to me that barring living in a small town or remote area there are almost always options for finding something that will work for a child (even if not a perfect fit).

My ODD was very similar to the OPs DD. Not naturally talented and older, but very persistent, and loved gymnastics. Fortunately, our old gym was very inclusive ( which we love about her old gym) and she started old 4 ( new level 3) at 9 years old. She did great! She had fun, won some medals, and moved through the levels up to new Level 6.

Eventually, she ended up retiring due to injuries (3 in 1 year - she rehabbed 2, but after the 3 rd , she said she thought maybe her body was telling her something - she was 13) . I was sad to see the end of 5 years gymnastics (pre team and team) for her ( she repeated a level) but I couldn't blame her - and she had learned so much and had so much fun and learned to fly!

UPDATE!

Coaches recommendations for next session are in, and my daughter's coach recommended that she stay in her current level but register for two classes per week. I talked to her about it and she said that she has seen DD get stronger and faster, and she'd like to see a bit more before moving her up. Also she said that it would be better for her to get used to going 2x per week while staying in her current level.. one less adjustment to make when she moves to the higher class.

This is very good news- she has a path, the coach believes in her, she's not being pushed out and this isn't a dead end. My daughter is very happy and excited about going twice per week, and says she wants to get stronger and see how far she can go. She's got such a good attitude.

I have heard from others that this gym is supportive and wants to help all the gymnasts reach their potential, and that includes the ones who may lag a bit. Now I'm really seeing evidence of that. So onward we go..

I did have to convince DH to let me sign DD up for 2 classes per week. He's not crazy about kids specializing in sports at such a young age, but he did understand that gymnastics is the best preparation for just about any physical activity in life. And he agreed with me that as long as she is happy and likes what she's doing we'll let her continue to do it.

So I'm super happy, and I never even had to ask anything :)

I am so glad. It is always good to believe in the coaches. I truly feel in 99% of the cases that they do indeed know best. I can't even walk a straight line (and I don't drink, lol), much less get on a skinny little old beam, so I believe in our coach no matter how odd things can be sometimes. It's called faith.

Sounds like a good plan. Your daughter would have progressed faster and could have been in team this year had they made this suggestion a year ago when you spoke to them. But better late than never. I would not worry at all about your daughter's abilities. One class a week is unlikely to show much improvement. The slow progress of your daughter may have been largely due the minimal gym time and not necessarily lack of ability or talent. Just a heads up, if and when your daughter joins the team, her practice hours can go from 1-2 hours to 6-9 hours. Then you'll start paying meet fees, team leos and team warm up suits.Slowly break this information to your husband. It can be a shock to new parents. But it is a wonderful sport tp be in,

Sounds like a good plan. Your daughter would have progressed faster and could have been in team this year had they made this suggestion a year ago when you spoke to them. But better late than never. I would not worry at all about your daughter's abilities. One class a week is unlikely to show much improvement. The slow progress of your daughter may have been largely due the minimal gym time and not necessarily lack of ability or talent. Just a heads up, if and when your daughter joins the team, her practice hours can go from 1-2 hours to 6-9 hours. Then you'll start paying meet fees, team leos and team warm up suits.Slowly break this information to your husband. It can be a shock to new parents. But it is a wonderful sport tp be in,

Thanks... I realize how expensive gymnastics can be, thanks to this board. My husband does not know :). I am going to break the news to him slowly over time. We are both equals in household financial decisions, and it helps that I out-earn him pretty significantly and my salary is on the rise. I value my marriage enough not to pull that into any kind of debate, but it is a fact and it gives me some credibility when there is something (highly valuable!) that I think we should spend our money on.

2 incomes here. My direct deposit gets split to our joint account and mine. I pay gymnastics from mine. My husband says he likes gymnastics much better when he doesn't see how much it costs. :D:eek:

Just finished our 10th team season and my DH has not one single clue! It works better that way!

To the OP - glad your DD has a clear path and the coaches are helping her to move along.

Lol! DH knows how much it costs here, h rants and raves at the beginning of every term when we get the bill.

Little DS recently started T&T and he (DH) was pleasantly surprised at how little the bill was. I didn't bother telling him it was only for 1 hour a week, lol. No need to rock that boat.

Just finished our 10th team season and my DH has not one single clue! It works better that way!

To the OP - glad your DD has a clear path and the coaches are helping her to move along.
Puma is also in the dark...which is the way he wants it! Lol Competitive dance is worse actually. Though I'm very sad (older) dance DD is quitting after this season, it will save us quite a bit of coin.

I did have to convince DH to let me sign DD up for 2 classes per week. He's not crazy about kids specializing in sports at such a young age, but he did understand that gymnastics is the best preparation for just about any physical activity in life.

Comparison: two nights a week of gym isn't much different than the kid who plays soccer or softball and practices a few times a week. (of course, in the beginning, soccer & softball are cheaper - LOL!)

Basically I was paying about $400 less a month for one less kid's tuition and have no idea where the extra money went!
Ahhhhh...yes...money is such a trick, isn't it?! When we built this house, I figured I needed to work about 17 hours a week to be comfortable. Well, I do 26/ week and have no clue where the "extra" money is!!!! Arrrrrrrr....

Update: it looks like the verdict might be slow and unsteady... DD has been moved up to the next class level for fall. This is good news. There might be other 6 year olds in the class and she'll be going twice per week. I know she still has a long way to go, but it's an indication that there's been progress. And I'm in no rush.. just wanted to make sure she was in the right place and had reasonable expectations.

Now my 4 year old can take the class ODD was in, and not have to be in the same class with her. They actually did that this summer and it was ok, though ODD kept trying to get YDD to stop "acting silly." I don't think YDD was doing anything too bad, she just can't help herself... she's a funny kid and she likes to show off. [FWIW I'm the same way, I had a week of meetings with clients in front of my big bosses and I just can't stop myself from joking around with them, and when I stop to look around I realize I'm the only one doing this. Though clearly the clients are happy that not only are they getting good information but they are having fun too, and no one has told me to can it so I think I'm ok. I realize my 4 year old is the same way- just keep pushing that envelope and keep things interesting for everyone, but don't actually break any rules..]

TWO in gym! You better hope your career continues to soar. :) I seriously don't know how parents make that happen!

Can't wait to hear how the second class helps her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back