Parents Small buckle fracture pinky

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tmacs

Proud Parent
My L4 daughter got a small buckle fracture on her pinky a few days ago. I had my orthopedic surgeon friend look at the X-ray and at first he couldn’t find anything without zooming in super closely but suggested cast and 4 weeks out. My ER doctor brother who played high school and college sports with splinted broken fingers looked at X-rays and thought she should be fine in 2-3 weeks to return to normal since its stable and so small.
She has her next meet 3.5 weeks after injury and state 2 weeks after that.
Do I follow up with an ortho or just splint it for a few weeks and let her be the judge of pain etc? I originally assumed it was just a jam and wasn’t going to get it x-rayed.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

If it were my kid. I'd splint it. Have her limit her activity, including what she is doing in gym. I'd skip the last meet. And see how it feels for states.

She is L4 there is no regionals at that level, it a Covid year. It is what it is.

My kid jammed a finger sledding a week before L5 states. We splinted. Accepted that it wasn't going to be a stellar meet. Needless to bars s*cked. She took first place on vault that year though.

Currently L8, and that L5 meet isn't even in her rearview mirror at this point.

I agree that seeing an impartial doctor would be a good idea, but anecdotally/for what it’s worth, this happened to my daughter last year. The ortho had her wear a brace and tape it for three weeks and said there was no need to return unless she still had pain. We did not follow up with him and she has had no problems with it since.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back