Parents Small gripe about over enthusiastic parents at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really enjoyed our last meet, however, I noticed that some parents were not very courteous or restrained when their gymnasts were on floor. Lots of very loud screaming, banging on chairs etc. that I found very distracting. I have never seen this at a meet before. At the most there is polite applause after each girl is finished. My daughter said it was somewhat distracting when she was on beam. I would hate to see a girl get injured because of this. I wonder if there could be an announcement regarding waiting for the results before cutting loose with the noise. To me this is as distracting to the gymnasts as flash photography.
I know college meets can be kind of raucous but this was compulsory and lower level optionals.

We had the same thing happen this weekend as well. It just happened to be my dd's old team. They would be really loud and obnoxious cheering for the girls and then at the end as the 5 girls were being walked to their parents by the coach the parents started chanting the gym name. It was really classless and obnoxious. They did it during the awards as well. I'm so glad we aren't there anymore. It was a really stressful weekend just being around them. Things did not end well there. One of my dd's teammates went up to the old coach to say hello. The old coach turned around, knelt down, saw who it was and turned around without saying one word. Sad they have to treat little kids like that. It wasn't her fault we left.

Okay I got a little off topic, but I agree about making an announcement or something.

And one more thing about the old team.... one of the brothers from that team broke a sprinkler at the hotel and water was spouting everywhere. It couldn't have happened to a nicer set of parents :).

It seems like every meet we go to, there is at least 1 gym that does this sort of thing. I have video from one meet where there are parents screaming at the top of their lungs "GO GRACY POO!" the entire time. I seriously doubt that child wants to be known as Gracy Poo in front of all her friends and it was so obnoxious I can't stand to rewatch the video. Some gyms the parents go crazy over every little thing it is ridiculous. I guess I am just a reserved person, but I think parents don't realize that when they are so "for" 1 child or gym that they are being very rude to other children and gyms.

I try to clap for lots of kids, there is so much more to watch than just my child. When I see another routine end - on any event - I will clap, if a child does something awesome I will clap. At the awards I try to clap for everyone. I have to admit though at our last meet, my hands were really tired by the end of the awards, but I think it is important to support all kids in this sport, not just my own.

I would be all for at a meet when the announce no Flash photos to also announce no excessively loud cheering as it too is a distraction for the gymnasts. Clapping and an At a girl should be enough.

It seems like every meet we go to, there is at least 1 gym that does this sort of thing. I have video from one meet where there are parents screaming at the top of their lungs "GO GRACY POO!" the entire time. I seriously doubt that child wants to be known as Gracy Poo in front of all her friends and it was so obnoxious I can't stand to rewatch the video. Some gyms the parents go crazy over every little thing it is ridiculous. I guess I am just a reserved person, but I think parents don't realize that when they are so "for" 1 child or gym that they are being very rude to other children and gyms.

I try to clap for lots of kids, there is so much more to watch than just my child. When I see another routine end - on any event - I will clap, if a child does something awesome I will clap. At the awards I try to clap for everyone. I have to admit though at our last meet, my hands were really tired by the end of the awards, but I think it is important to support all kids in this sport, not just my own.

I totally agree with you. I find it RUDE when this happens. I too experience at least one gym at every meet that goes crazy like this but it isn't just for their one child its for every child on the team for every event. You think they had just won the Olympics instead of not falling from a piece of equipment.

My DD has given me strict orders that I can clap and after she is done cheer something like "nice Job" but not at the top of my lungs (which is what I have always done) Also I can't sit in the front rows LOL. she says if she sees me or Dad in the front row its too distracting for her if she sees us. So its up to the back rows where I can stand up and use the telephoto lens to get those close ups.

Last meet was good as we could be in front row and move around without being a distraction.

I think it is distracting and over the top. If an annoucement is not made at the meets it should be addressed by the coaches. I know my daughters gym parents are instructed not to distract the gymnasts during a competition because they have to mentally focus. I am all for cheering and applauding during tteam introductions and awards.

I think that the girls get used to having loud noises going on around them at the gym and are able to stay focused. I asked my DD if she gets distracted but she told me that she is so focused on what she is doing that she doesn't hear whats going on around her. I admit that at our last meet the coaches and the parents cheered for each our girls after their routines!! I don't think we were over the top but we were not super quiet either! I hope I don't offend anyone at meets but I have seen some parents that go a little too far!!

Too bad the judges can't give parents a penalty for "excessive celebration". I agree with Monkeygirlsmom that it can get rude. I just think it is not necessary to bang on chairs and scream after every routine. Save it for awards.

I have to agree with you, it makes me nervous for the girls on bars and beam when they hear this. I am so afraid they will get distracted and fall they are already nervous enough. A little off topic, what does a parent do when the coaches at their gym give more attention to a girl and help her with skills even after practice is over? Parents and girls noticing favoritism in the gym. Just curious because I am new to all this. Any advice would help

bornagaingymmom...(love your username btw!!) Welcome to the Chalkbucket !! Unfortunately in gymnastics you will always find overzealous parents and percieved favoritism! Sit back and enjoy the ride ( it can be a long one!!). Not sure how old your DD is but as long as she is happy just let it be!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back