Parents Snapshot of the parent's journey through gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JoyAvenueMom

Proud Parent
Okay, CB friends. Please help me finish this list. I could only go so far because we are still early in this journey. I want to create something fun for new team parents (and slyly introduce them to CB along the way)

Our experience went something like this:

• I think Suzy should try gymnastics.
• That first cartwheel deserves a new leotard.
• I am flattered you think Suzy has some talent for this sport. Sure, she can start coming twice a week.
• Suzy says she’s bored in her current class. Oh, what’s a pullover? Why does Suzy need one to move up a level?
• What’s preteam? Does she REALLY need to be here 3 days per week?
• Dear Santa, Suzy would like a set of bars, a mat, and a balance beam for Christmas, but the coach says to leave gymnastics in the gym. Let’s compromise with that cute folding floor beam.
• Suzy, you look beautiful in your team leo. I’m sorry I forgot the glitter. Yes, I think you will get 4 blue ribbons next time. Do you want to go for ice cream?
• You got your back handspring? How exciting! Your coach says you can compete Level 4 this year and get real scores. What’s a mill circle?
• Stupid mill circle.
• Sure I think you can be in the Olympics. You just can’t go higher than level seven. They have to do a back handspring on the beam at that level. NO WAY are you ever doing that.
• What do you mean, MORE hours in the summer? What about vacation? I am going to need a second job.
• No honey, Daddy and Grandma don’ know what a “kip” is…so they don’t understand why we all need to go for ice cream at 9pm on a school night.
• What do you mean…you “lost” your cartwheel on the beam? Where did it go?
• I’m sorry Sally isn’t moving up with you. Of course, you can still be her friend. (I wish Sally’s mom would stop pressuring her…she is a sweet girl, but she doesn’t look happy to be here anymore.)
• Yes, I saw that girl on crutches. You mean she still HAS to come to gym, even though all she can do is conditioning and bars? Those optional parents are crazy.
• If I have to listen to that music again next year I will lose my mind.
• What do you mean you can’t wait to be an optional because they practice 20 hours per week? Don’t they want to have a life outside of gym? Those optional parents are crazy.
• Honey, repeating a level doesn’t mean you failed…or that you aren’t progressing. Everyone progresses at her own pace. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. I learned that on Chalkbucket.
• Sigh, I guess I have to listen to that stupid music again this year. I AM going to go crazy.
• Okay, I will try to get there early enough to see your back walkover on beam. Should be easy since I cancelled my nail appointment when I found out how much your leo and warm ups will be this year.
• Yes, I want you to make optionals next year, too. But I just saw the meet schedule. It’s official: I must be crazy.

You forgot somewhere in there...

Fomulate a detailed plan for when and what to feed your gymnast so they have energy for practice, homework etc, when did this get so complicated?
Formulate and execute hydration plan and enforcement of said plan so Suzy doesn't get a headache and have a meltdown during practice
Cutting back on family expenses to pay for all of this
Oh and somewhere near the beginning of the list, my personal favorite, watching her march out through the door and into the gym insisting loudly her leo IS NOT on backwards while sporting an epic wedgie (and shortly after that buying those gym shorts in the shop that seemed so overpriced and now seem like a good idea).

Also: Boss, can we please adjust my work schedule so I can get my five-year-old to the gym twice a week in the middle of the afternoon? No, she is not training for the Olympics.

And: Suzy, look, a chin-up bar in the park! Let's do pull-ups. Wow, you can do more than I can even though you are only six years old. Let's not do this any more.

Getting ready to watch first meet ever- damn, there's a lot going on at one time...who's score was that?...why is Suzie doing her beam routine out of order while the coach is talking to her?...Suzie is listed 2nd on the rotation schedule, so why is she going last?...can I cheer?...awards are going to take all day with this many age groups...
And this is the beginning of...I've got to find a way to learn about this sport!!

I've got some for you for the next part of your journey (in no particular order):

- what do you mean you want to spend two weeks of gym's 3 week summer shut down at gym camp?
- we just booked all of our vacations at gym travel meets
- what do you mean you grew and your track suit pants from your warm up are too short? No, I can't get new ones before tomorrow's meet....
- I've left work early to get DD to the gym, I'm half way there..... Where's DD? Oops, I forgot to get her at school :confused:
- 25 hours a week? Pulling you early from school 4 days? Glad we aren't in private school!?!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread!

We have meets in TX, PA, and CO because there's not enough competition here? Because all the other optional teams in our city travel, too? Can't we just get together and compete here? And speaking of costs: floor music, choreography? And I know that you say that falling in your face in the pit doesn't hurt but forgive me if I have no desire to watch you train bar releases.

[Done already, but I can't resist . . . ] "And the seventeenth place winner on vault in the 6 year old age group is Johnny!"

"You got new skill X? Great job, sweetie! [Three weeks later . . . ] Don't worry, X will come back! Yes it will! [Three months later . . . ] I know you're frustrated out of your mind about Y, but remember that time a long time ago when you had X and lost X and X came back?"

"I can't believe it! The entire team made it through pommel horse/beam and not a single child fell! ALERT THE MEDIA!"

Getting ready to watch first meet ever- damn, there's a lot going on at one time...who's score was that?...why is Suzie doing her beam routine out of order while the coach is talking to her?...Suzie is listed 2nd on the rotation schedule, so why is she going last?...can I cheer?...awards are going to take all day with this many age groups...
And this is the beginning of...I've got to find a way to learn about this sport!!
Ha ha!! The beam routine out of order thing while coach is talking to her, I just about panicked over this at dd's first meet. I thought she was doing horribly! I love this thread. Keep them coming!

I'll add
- As a "rec mom" you overhear some team parents talking about how much monthly fees plus booster fees cost per year and you think to yourself, "That is INSANE! I'm glad my kids are doing this just for fun. No way they are ever joining team at those costs!!!

- Some time later you rationalize, "Well, if you break it down to per hour it really isn't that bad..."

What do you mean we have to be at the gym the next three Saturdays? For floor choreography? How much is that going to cost?

Did coach like music A or B? No? She told you to pick from X or Y? (Cringes at the thought of spending the next two seasons listening to said music).

A new leotard? I thought you were going to wear the one we bought last year for two seasons?

They want you to flip what out of your vault? Do you need a helmet?

This is hilarious. Thank you. I needed a good giggle.

We've also got to the stage now where Suzy is always asking me to stretch out her (insert from the variables) back/shoulders/legs etc and also to give her legs and back a rub. Last night her toes and ankles were all crackly and she wanted a foot massage! That was not on my cv.

Ok - for the beginning parent - I will sign Suzie up for gymnastics because there is no expensive equipment involved so it must be the cheapest sport.

Fast forward 10 years - you are going to do a round off, back handspring, and then flip? Great I see you do that all the time on the floor. Oh, wait you mean you are doing that over the vault table? You have to got to be crazy!

Our children have been invaded and we are all being turned into alien gym zombie zombies to support (laundry, money, food, transportation support services) their takover of the planet... But I caann'ttt heeelllp myysself..... (marching into spaceship) .

Fast forward 10 years - you are going to do a round off, back handspring, and then flip? Great I see you do that all the time on the floor. Oh, wait you mean you are doing that over the vault table? You have to got to be crazy!
:eek:

Or she's doing it on the beam

I'll add
- As a "rec mom" you overhear some team parents talking about how much monthly fees plus booster fees cost per year and you think to yourself, "That is INSANE! I'm glad my kids are doing this just for fun. No way they are ever joining team at those costs!!!

- Some time later you rationalize, "Well, if you break it down to per hour it really isn't that bad..."

Another rec thought: "Look at those crazy preteam moms. The kids have been in splits for like 15 minutes. That can't be fun for them. I'll never do that to my kids." Until you realize that is exactly what your kid wants to be doing...

Oh gee, it's only $50 a month for a rec class! We can afford that, right? Its just one night a week! We can do it!

Oh, it's only $50 more for preteam? We can make that work! It's just one more night!

Oh, level 3 is $130 a month? And just one MORE night? That's not so bad!

Level 4 is just $50 more, and one more night, oh, and that pretty competition warmup and Leo are only $400? Well it's just one time. And there are no out of state meets, right? That's not so bad!

Oh, you want my younger daughter on preteam? Well that's just an extra $50, and she deserves to have the chance....sure, I can get off at 1:30 in the afternoon to get her to TOPS!

Ok, level 5 is just another $50, oh, and it's 5 days a week? Well, she'll still have one school night off..

Oh, another competition Leo and warmup for little sister who is now in level 4? Uh, ok...

Optionals are only $50 more, and just 5 more hours...thats not so bad...How much for choreography??? And an optional Leo? Wait....how many out state meets?

You want my youngest on preteam? Well, she needs to have the chance...

What? Youngest is competing too? Oh, and new Leo's and warmups for all 3?

To be continued...
:)

Love this!!

Suzy, please dont do cartwheels in walmarts parking lot Yes, i know you are just practicing but it isnt a good place to be doing it. No, you cant do leaps either. Can i do them inside?

Watch this routine i made up, mom. Moms thinking i have watched a 100 routines today.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back