So about the women's team finals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really felt for Alicia and the team too. Some of our scores should have been higher I think. On a positive note though, I told my daughter that as she competes in the future, should she have an OOPS! remember that it happens. Everyone is human and mistakes happen...even in the Olympics. She has been watching it avidly and I think it will help in her future competitions and goals.

Having now gone back to see the interviews on NBC.com, what really strikes me is what a class act Alicia and the other girls are. I imagine that they've been working on their cliches, but they really seemed to mean it about supporting each other. And looking at the body language when Shawn was complimenting Alicia about being the strongest person she knows, you could see that the team as a whole was on board. What great examples of good sportsmanship!

I know that I, at waaaayyy older than anyone on this team, could not face a very public professional disappointment, followed by someone sticking a mic in my face to ask what I was thinking when it happened, with anything resembling the class and self-control these young ladies showed. If gymnastics teaches my daughter nothing beyond this, it will have been worth every penny.

Having now gone back to see the interviews on NBC.com, what really strikes me is what a class act Alicia and the other girls are. I imagine that they've been working on their cliches, but they really seemed to mean it about supporting each other. And looking at the body language when Shawn was complimenting Alicia about being the strongest person she knows, you could see that the team as a whole was on board. What great examples of good sportsmanship!

I know that I, at waaaayyy older than anyone on this team, could not face a very public professional disappointment, followed by someone sticking a mic in my face to ask what I was thinking when it happened, with anything resembling the class and self-control these young ladies showed. If gymnastics teaches my daughter nothing beyond this, it will have been worth every penny.

if you don't mind could you post the links to the interviews??

if you don't mind could you post the links to the interviews??

I'm flattered that you have me confused with Bogwoppit, but I know nothing useful like links!

If you look on the right hand side of the main page, you'll see Bogwoppit posted something about the on-line olympic viewing schedule. I've just been clicking there, then selecting "gymnastics" and "video." I think they're titled something like "women's team final interview" and "Alicia Sacramone team final interview." You might also check out the interview with the men's team and the "don't throw Alicia under the bus" video.

yes sir ree. She pikes it down so much and she still always scores higher than Nastia and Shawn. So far Shawn's and Nastia's routines were the best of the Olympics, but they arn't getting the scores to show for it. I don't know if they ever will.

She is in that position at the end of the layout because she tumbles out of it.

Give me a break...that layout is perfectly fine.

YouTube - Li Shanshan Balance Beam 2008 Olympics Team Finals BB

Yes, I thought is was kind of petty of them to say things like that. If they would have won, none of those concerns would have been addressed.

Our world is full of people ready to make excuses. I personally am not one of them, but it's amzing what people will say in frustration.

It would appear to me that the teenage gymnasts are more mature than the adults.

That's also something I got out of it. Considering the gymnasts are the ones who have trained their whole lives for this, they are handling it so very well. I also think they understand what the Chinese athletes feel/felt becayse they were feeling the same things. Every gymnast who got out onto that floor that night deserved to get everything they worked for.

It would appear to me that the teenage gymnasts are more mature than the adults.

I know, right! I think the quotes from the gymnasts make them sound like mature, world class athletes with the right attitude. Definitely well above the coaches, marta in particular!

~Katy

Silver Is Good.

Nothing wrong with the silver, China was on its home turf, they had home field advantage and the judges were pressured to give them the gold. Same thing as in the 96 olympics in the USA. Not saying those teams didn''t deserve to win, they did but home field advanatge is such a huge thing in sports.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back