Parents so, about USGA training hours recommendations...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
...Our gym called a parent meeting a few weeks ago and informed everyone that there are now USGA recommendations for the number of hours that a gymnast should be training. The impetus, supposedly, was safety and insurance. It was explained that if someone gets hurt at a meet and USGA finds out they were not training the recommended number of hours, the insurance that comes with the USGA membership fees may not cover them.

We had to either agree to the recommend number of hours- or sign a release that we were aware we were accepting a lower number of numbers that could be a safety risk.

Those hours were stated as being:
6 hours -Bronze
8 hours -Silver, 4,5
10 hours- Levels 6, 7, 8

So, anyone else get this same information? Know where the source may be found? Or, think its b.s.? :rolleyes:

I've never heard of this, but those hours are way off anyway. Really Bronze you can do CW CW, needs nowhere close to 6 hours. then 10 hours for level 8 with flipping vaults to get full SV? Haha.

yeah. thats what it says though. :confused: our gym is very small and only has like 6 girls in levels 6,7,8 & they've never taken anyone farther (further?) than that, unfortunately.

we are contemplating a gym switch and tried out one last wednesday and visiting another this wednesday, soooo...

I think it would be very difficult to take anyone higher in optionals with those minimal hours.
I have no clue about actual recommendations from USAG, I haven't heard that but all our JO teams work out more than that regardless (but less than some I have seen mentioned here at CB). Our optionals workout twice the hours "recommended"...

so it is interesting that you all point out the excel hours seem high but then JO seem low. that would lead me to believe these are not formal USAG recommendations. it wouldn't be logical would it? grrr….

Also, they don't mention Xcel Gold, Platinum, or Diamond OR L9 or L10.

Maybe they only mentioned the levels your gym competes??? But I call BS! If USAG had decided something like that, it would be on the website... most likely in member updates.

yeah, those are the only levels we have anyone competing so it was all they put on this new document they created (with new prices and these hours recommendations).

Our gym told us at the beginning of this season, at least for Xcel, that USAG had maximum training hours suggested, but not minimum. I think this sounds fishy.

more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png
popcorn.gif

Sounds to me as if your gym is wanting to increase training hours to be more competitve but doesn't want to deal with the parents complaining so they're blaming it on the USAG boogeyman.

Personally, those hours seem low even for Xcel. My recommendation? If you're offered more hours, TAKE IT! Stronger gymnasts = safer gymnasts. Our JO training program practically doubled its training hours and in only 1 year it is INCREDIBLE the difference it has made in our girls.

We had to either agree to the recommend number of hours- or sign a release that we were aware we were accepting a lower number of numbers that could be a safety risk.Or, think its b.s.? :rolleyes:

I'm more gobsmacked that your gym gives you the option to train less hours. Most gyms I know of tell you when practice will be for each level and that's that.

I'm more gobsmacked that your gym gives you the option to train less hours. Most gyms I know of tell you when practice will be for each level and that's that.

I know right?! That's what I'm realizing, too, now that I've been comparing other gyms and reading here on CB. Our gym is not one that produces very many good gymnasts and most just do bronze and silver excel and then either quit gymnastics or move to a better gym.

I chose this gym simply based on a google search of its location and entered into it knowing nothing about gymnastics- especially competitive gymnastics. I think that's what they count on... catching families who are new and naive, competing them for a few years and having a steady flow of unknowing newbies as the ones who have figured out their shortcomings exit…

All that being said, I love the family on a personal level and have been having an emotional battle with myself over this decision to consider switching gyms. It stinks that my daughter and I have become so comfortable there before realizing they really can't take her much further in the sport. :(

Here's the actual document.
(FYI: Technique is a ballet class which is something I really like that they do.)

10440899_10152491029626337_7094606168084666189_n_zpsf43a6cbf.jpg

Looks like they have lower times but higher $$. We pay $300 for 16 hrs L5 & up. L4 practice 12hrs for $220. Excel is same times but a lot less $$. Our L6/7, L8 have option of practicing 20 hrs for $350.

10 hours for a L8 gymnast is laughable, not to mention dangerous. Most L4's do that many hours. Is it possibly attendance and commitment issues that are driving this minimum hours message? Are they having issues getting kids to show up to practice?

Personally, I would not let my daughter continue at a gym that offered so few hours at those levels. It boils down to a basic safety issue for me. It's just not possible (for most athletes) to be proficient at L6/7/8 skills at 10 hours/wk. As a L8, my DD probably does 10 hours of conditioning a week! So, do not feel guilty for seeking other opportunities. It sounds like it is not unexpected once a gymnast reaches a certain point.

Any gym that puts "USGA" on an official document doesn't know what the heck they are doing. USGA is a GOLF organization. Gymnastics is USAG. A common mistake for those new to the sport. NOT something I want to see from a professional gym training gymnasts.

I totally agree that those hours are pretty laughable. (Price seems high to me too, but I'm not sure what area of the country you are in). Our L3s train 10.5 hours a week.

^^^^^I was just getting ready to post the same thing!!! That would concern me as well. I know it seems picky, but a gym should know their organizations.

I kept trying to figure out if USGA was a different organization that I should know about too! Lol. I don't love the amount of hours my L4 does but will say, I know they take safety very seriously there. That being said, 12 hours for L4, 9 for L3, 6 for L2, L5 I believe is 16 and any more is minimum 20, I believe. There isn't a lower number hours option, it's these hours or your no longer on team. Also, that's in our contract that absences be at a minimum and tardiness as well and everything has to go through HC. The prices you have listed are high compared to ours but not sure how comparable that is to other gyms in your area.

It's just not possible (for most athletes) to be proficient at L6/7/8 skills at 10 hours/wk.
We have L6 and L7 gymnasts that are very proficient at their skills at 7.5 hrs a week.

It sounds like OP comes from a small gym. It isn't necessarily the amount of time in the gym... it's the amount of the time spent working.

In our gym, L6+, being the smallest group, gets the most reps on each event. While they wait, they do conditioning / side stations. They have very little down time (water breaks between rotations and a 10 min munchie break some days).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back