Parents So - another crazy gym parent(s) thread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As funny as these are, they make me cringe because DS (5) was invited to practice with the "mites" at the ice rink. I was hoping his interest in hockey would be shortlived once he was old enough to play other sports (everyone in my house is anti-soccer so that is not an option). Luckily, the rink is Dad's territory and he can deal with the crazy hockey parents. I have my hand's full with the crazy gym moms!!!!

Sadly there are way worse tales out there, I am just not sure that sharing them all here would be productive, plus it might give people ideas!

I have heard and seen a ton of stuff that is way off base too......the gym world as other sports is crazy. People all seem to forget this is kids sports. I fear it seems like parents are getting a bit worse or maybe I'm getting old...LOL

I am thankful DD gym is low key and not like this much...the ones that have been leave as our club does not produce the results they want!!

Hang tough and dont play into thier games. You will be fine by staying away or on the edge in the end they will probably respect you for it in the end.

Oh my word, Bog! I so want to think you are joking and laugh hysterically at the thought of a parent beheading their child's toys, but the truth is, I'm horrified. I can't imagine how a parent could do that to their child. :(

I only stayed for about half of the practice, and initiated some non-gym-related convo. But they still tried to suck me in. I left when the convo turned to gymnastics. These moms are brutal. Apparently, some of the kids were invited to TOPS training awhile back- new to me as DD's former gym incorporated it into the program for everyone- but only "select kids" were invited to do TOPS. I'd be willing to bet is the catalyst to all of the private lessons and competitiveness there. DD's campus does not have TOPS available...). Sigh.

Yikes...to all of it! Unfortunately I am familiar with this behaviour too. I find frequent questions about age is what I get.."how old is you dd? when is her birthday? oh so she will be in such and such age group" at my DD old gym the statement "she usually does that much better" was a frequently said. I personally like that they asked you if you were aware how far away the gym you were standing in was:)

Great advice, although I only read the first thread...

My advice: drop & run. Watching is what often turns parents CRAZY!!!! It's easier to support your child in her sport when you have some distance. This distance is not obtained by watching them practice on a daily basis. It is nearly, if not impossible to have distance when you watch. Just can't be done in my opinion.

Great advice, although I only read the first thread...

My advice: drop & run. Watching is what often turns parents CRAZY!!!! It's easier to support your child in her sport when you have some distance. This distance is not obtained by watching them practice on a daily basis. It is nearly, if not impossible to have distance when you watch. Just can't be done in my opinion.

mtbmom, I stayed because I live an hour away from this particular gym campus and practice was just two hours long. I stayed the first practice also because my DD was terrified after her experience in her previous gym. I stayed some the second practice because my son wanted to watch his sister some in the "new gym". At our old gym I did not make a habit of watching but a few minutes at drop off and pick up, and that was to appease my DD. She'd prefer that I watch. Unfortunately, the drive time even to DD's campus is too long to justify the time and gas to drive home. :( So, I will primarily read during them or run errands when I have them to run.

I did not mean to imply that you stay all the time. Just pointing out what it does to parents that stay all the time and watch.

Even with a long commute and reasons to stay, it is a fine line. We used to drive a long distance to a gym where the coaches were more mean to my DD when I was not there, so I stayed. It made it very difficult to have the needed distance to not comment on what went on during practice that day. At our current gym, where staying is strongly discouraged and if you do want to stay, you will have a difficult tim seeing there is very little obvious parent craziness. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent.

Hope all works out at this gym.
mtbmom, I stayed because I live an hour away from this particular gym campus and practice was just two hours long. I stayed the first practice also because my DD was terrified after her experience in her previous gym. I stayed some the second practice because my son wanted to watch his sister some in the "new gym". At our old gym I did not make a habit of watching but a few minutes at drop off and pick up, and that was to appease my DD. She'd prefer that I watch. Unfortunately, the drive time even to DD's campus is too long to justify the time and gas to drive home. :( So, I will primarily read during them or run errands when I have them to run.

OMG mamaof2, this is my nightmare scenario! I'm picturing a reality show ("GymMoms") starring these boorish, nosy women! I totally empathize and sympathize. These questions were just way too busybody-ish, esp the ones about Christmas presents! I mean, really? You are so very nice to have put up with this interrogation, and really, it was an interrogation, no matter if this line of questioning is how they "welcome" people at this gym. Treasure your home gym -- sounds like a much more enjoyable and nurturing environment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back