Parents So close yet so far

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
I have to vent. DD (level 7) had her last meet of the season this weekend (we aren't doing state since its virtual and no awards etc letting the girls uptrain which I am ok with). They start on Floor. Season high score 9.45. Then to Vault... 9.05 (one of the highest for her team). Then Bars 9.5 second highest score for the season for her. Then her nemesis beam. She either falls on her series or falls on her full turn. Only stuck one this season and got a 9 on it cause of a big step on the dismount. I am a nervous wreck watching on zoom. She NAILS it best routine I have seen her do all year. Thinking this is it this is where she hits all events and gets 9s on all events (a big goal for her she has only done once in level 3). Score posted. 8.1?!?!?!?! I text the coach who had already put in an inquiry. They didn't give her credit for the series because she "didn't hold the handstand for 2 seconds" (she does HS BHS) I've watched the video 10 times I think its BS but I guess there is nothing to be done :mad:

On the bright side she did the cutest little happy dance after she stuck her dismount and was thrilled with her performance. Shes like well next year I wont be doing HS BHS so it wont matter. Very proud of her great attitude this year. She used to be such an anxious kid and she is doing much better letting the lows roll off her back instead of dwelling in a negative head space. She said her coach told her to keep her blond butt on the beam and thats what she did. Coach said her beam was the highlight of her day.

It's great that she recognized and celebrated her success, and didn't stress about the score. Love her positive attitude! But, yeah...judging is hit or miss sometimes. I guess as parents, it's our job to stress about it (and hopefully let it go), LOL.

I have to vent. DD (level 7) had her last meet of the season this weekend (we aren't doing state since its virtual and no awards etc letting the girls uptrain which I am ok with). They start on Floor. Season high score 9.45. Then to Vault... 9.05 (one of the highest for her team). Then Bars 9.5 second highest score for the season for her. Then her nemesis beam. She either falls on her series or falls on her full turn. Only stuck one this season and got a 9 on it cause of a big step on the dismount. I am a nervous wreck watching on zoom. She NAILS it best routine I have seen her do all year. Thinking this is it this is where she hits all events and gets 9s on all events (a big goal for her she has only done once in level 3). Score posted. 8.1?!?!?!?! I text the coach who had already put in an inquiry. They didn't give her credit for the series because she "didn't hold the handstand for 2 seconds" (she does HS BHS) I've watched the video 10 times I think its BS but I guess there is nothing to be done :mad:

On the bright side she did the cutest little happy dance after she stuck her dismount and was thrilled with her performance. Shes like well next year I wont be doing HS BHS so it wont matter. Very proud of her great attitude this year. She used to be such an anxious kid and she is doing much better letting the lows roll off her back instead of dwelling in a negative head space. She said her coach told her to keep her blond butt on the beam and thats what she did. Coach said her beam was the highlight of her day.
Nooo! That is the worst. When my daughter was a level 8, she did not have one fall in her routine at the state meet. The series had been giving her grief all season. You could tell how surprised and excited she was after sticking the series. And then the score...geeeeezzz! We realized later that her leaps were really terrible because she was intent on not falling after she landed the series. I'm not sure she even got credit for the leaps, that's how far below 180 they were. But it was such a victory to stay on, that we just blew off the crummy score. Congrats to your daughter!

Congrats to your daughter for nailing her routine. It always is disheartening when they nail things but don’t get credit for other silly little things.
My DD is in the same boat. She has yet to nail both the BHS series and the full turn in her routine- it’s typically one or the other. The BHS has been her nemesis this year after a growth spurt and missing months out of the gym.
Otherwise, sounds like a pretty solid end of the season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back