Parents So disappointing...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Black people in on this forum are not surprised at all. This type of stuff happens all the time in every sport. Thank you for now trying to understand and to see how we are treated, but it happens a lot. **** I was called a big Ape in this group a couple months ago and nobody but one person said anything. Just some people are more open about their racism then others, a lot hide it

I'm sorry I don't remember that post , I'm appalled hearing it now. Name calling, especially racist name calling, has no place on CB, or in any civilized society . I'm sorry you had to be subject to that .

And sadly from what I'm seeing and hearing about these teams , I agree with Sk8ermaiden, these athletes and coaches know they are being awful calling their teammates the N word and they don't care....Kytra Hunter , one of the best gymnasts in NCAA history , had to threaten to transfer to get Rhonda Faehn to even address it, albeit poorly and in her senior year...athletes should be allowed to transfer without penalty and the school the athlete transferred from should face sanctions for allowing racism by teammates/coaches/administration....there's no repercussions and that's part of why awful people continue their awful behaviors.

Reactions: cmg
It was dealt with in that thread. Ty's dad spoke up and pointed it out and the poster apologized. But I cringed when I read the comment initially and didn't speak up about it, which bothers me.
I felt the same way. Ashamed that even in an anonymous forum I failed to speak up. Ty's Dad, I am so sorry.

I am appalled that these young ladies were subjected to this. Glad this is coming to light.

The Triple Twist Gym twitter is running the tweets from multiple Auburn gymnasts detailing their horrible treatment via racial slurs/comments/profiling by just about everyone associated with that program ....coaches, teammates, trainers, even parents ! I just cannot fathom how widespread this is and how these athletes were threatened and when they didn't "comply" , were suspended & tossed from the team! And Graba is complicit because he's the HC ....

I know folks are concerned about their children being recruited with all the restrictions and missed meets , but there are so many teams I couldn't in good conscience, ever consider for my kid...scholarship or not. NCAA coaches are their own breed of nasty to begin with but now add on blatant racism by gymnasts they recruit AND the coaches , the whole system needs an overhaul...I've often seen the phrase something to the effect that NCAA is where elites go to be happy again but I'm going to have to disagree if this is/has been the gym climate in NCAA...

And LSU says that "To be clear, we at LSU condemn hate and bigotry in any form, including racially incendiary remarks. As a state university, however, we are subject to constitutional limitation on our ability to take action in response to free speech" .....so they're basically saying while we think racial slurs shouldn't be said, we're not going to stop it or react to it happening .....I am speechless...I cannot imagine sending my kid to any of these schools in the SEC , especially as an athlete, where the epithet hurling/tolerating coach will hold all the power.....ugh

Black people in on this forum are not surprised at all. This type of stuff happens all the time in every sport. Thank you for now trying to understand and to see how we are treated, but it happens a lot. **** I was called a big Ape in this group a couple months ago and nobody but one person said anything. Just some people are more open about their racism then others, a lot hide it

We have to do better, I have to do better. It is way too easy to hide in our comfort zone, at the expense of others.

The fact that this is a constant for black people is appalling, the fact that I am surprised is likely why it happens.

I am sorry we have not done better, the Chalkbucket definitely does not support racism of any kind, but we may not be as sensitive as we should be to dealing with it. Please use the report button if you are attacked here again.

And LSU says that "To be clear, we at LSU condemn hate and bigotry in any form, including racially incendiary remarks. As a state university, however, we are subject to constitutional limitation on our ability to take action in response to free speech" .....so they're basically saying while we think racial slurs shouldn't be said, we're not going to stop it or react to it happening .....I am speechless...I cannot imagine sending my kid to any of these schools in the SEC , especially as an athlete, where the epithet hurling/tolerating coach will hold all the power.....ugh

As in, we will do nothing to protect our gymnasts. There is free speech, and there is hate speech.

As in, we will do nothing to protect our gymnasts. There is free speech, and there is hate speech.

That's how I interpreted the statement ....and it came from the University as a whole , not any team in particular, which if I'm a HC of a team at LSU , says to me "stay in your lane and make no comment in support of your black athletes because our State run school considers epithets free speech"...

How would anyone know what race someone was in this group?

I am White with an Asian kid. I knew/know they are a Black family. He wasn't hiding who he is.

And because I am Mom to an Asian kid who has lots of friends of color. I too am not surprised any of it. Sad and mad, but not surprised.

This kind of response from an educational institution is infuriating. Being a coach or the member of a varsity athletic team is a PRIVILAGE not a right. No one is talking about putting people in jail. "Free speech" does not apply.

I once witnessed a JO coach scratch a group of optionals from the rest of a meet because he overheard them joking around, one using the N word. That is the kind of leadership that is missing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back