Anon So frustrated with giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am training for Level 7 and have been swinging a full giant with a spot for over a year. I tried them on my own for the first time last week. But every time I just arch off the back side. My coach says I'm not tapping hard enough and not pulling my toes over the bar. I can cast all the way to handstand and have a good baby giant with a back hip circle connected, and I scored 9s on bars in Level 5 and 6. My giants are fine on strap bar. I've been doing the drill on trampoline where you bounce on your back and then up to handstand holding the floor bar (I hope that makes sense) but I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I just miss the giant every time. Does anyone have any ideas of drills I can do or something else I should think about? I'm 5'6 and probably won't grow much more, if that matters, but I haven't had much trouble with hitting the low bar yet. It's the only skill left I need for Level 7, I have a couple months still, but any advice is appreciated!

It sounds like when you try them yourself you change what you’re doing from when you have a spot. That’s totally normal and usually comes from fear (even subconsciously). Id say that the best thing for you to do would be to keep trying. The more times you try, the more comfortable you’ll get, and the more comfortable you are, the more you’ll be able to actually feel what you’re doing and make the corrections that you need to make. You’ve got this!

Ok, this is what my daughter said- if you’re 5’6 and not hitting the low bar your bar settings must be pretty far apart so she thinks you must be tapping below or at the bar but you need to tap much later. She suggested putting a pit block on the ground where you want to tap- spot the pit block as you come down from the handstand. Once you’re right at the pit block that’s where you tap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back