So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
I was eligible to get the vax last weekend because I work in the school system. I did not for a few reasons. 1. My husband and I just recovered from Covid a few weeks ago (my gymnast also had it in early December). We are currently fine and I don't expect to have any issues long term but that's also unknown. For this reason, I don't really see why I would also get the vax that appears to be safe but we don't know this long term at this point. 2. I know people that need the shot (serious health issues and really not been "living" since March 2020) and I feel incredibly guilty and selfish stepping in line in front of them. We don't live near family and don't frequently visit with high risk people so I feel that we can sit back and wait at this time and reevaluate things in the future.

I think the guidelines are pretty clear about waiting after having had COVID to get the vaccine, gymnastmom05, so that's the right call.

If I am ever eligible, I am hoping I'll be one of those with little to no reaction. My doc warned me to clear my schedule after my second Shingrix, but all that happened was a slightly sore arm two days after. Even in terms of that, the soreness took longer to go away after my last tentanus booster. I have thus far been very lucky in never having much of a reaction to vaccines. I attribute it to doing a light upper body workout right afterward, lol. My husband, on the other hand . . .

Oh man! I’m so sorry! Glad you’re feeling better. I’m definitely a little nervous because I have to work next weekend and my second dose is that Friday. I normally would have worked the following weekend, but the 13th is Puma Jr’s bday (14! How did that happen??!!) and the 14th is the in house meet. So my partner was nice enough to switch with me, but now I fear not feeling great after the second dose and having to work... fingers crossed!
Two things: 1). I hope it’s goes well for you, and 2) the 13th is also my daughter’s birthday!

I am so inspired from the stories of everyone getting their shots here! I know my husband and I are far away from it, but hopefully my parents are soon.

I'm just going to live vicariously through you guys until my turn, months from now.

I'm so hopeful that I can see my family this summer.

I know you were not asking me, but I can tell you that pretty shortly after the second dose, my arm hurt like crazy and that night I awoke around 2 am with a 103 deg F fever. I didn't take anything for it and it was gone by morning. The next day I still had to be at work and it was rough, for sure. Felt like I had the flu but meanwhile no fever at all. Just super sluggish and achy. My entire team (8 of us) all got our 2nd doses together and all of us were able to come to work the next day. Only one other person got a fever overnight. Everyone said they felt like crap but a functional sort of crap.
“A functional sort of crap” This sums it up. Myself and several of my health care coworkers felt quite flu-like, and some were febrile, after the second injection, but this is in the range of normal (As I’m sure you know) and not an adverse side effect. I hope good health education can prepare the general public for this possibility so there isn’t a lot of backlash. No regrets here with getting it.

Got my first Pfizer yesterday. I felt fine all morning (got it at 9) but as the day wore on my arm was more painful and I was wiped out and had a headache. I ended up going to bed and sleeping the rest of the day and DH took over running the kids to sports. Slept straight through until this am and woke up feeling great. :) totally worth it for me!

So curious to put it to people this way. If you lived in a place with basically no COVID would you get the vaccine.

We have had a total of 2 cases of community spread in the last 137 days, it was immediately and easily contained and no more cases since. Life is basically normal (except hotel quarantine for peop,e come in from overseas) and leaving your details when you go places for contact tracing. No one had died in our state from COVID in 10 months. And the rest of the country has fairly similar statistics. Would you still get it, in those circumstances?

So curious to put it to people this way. If you lived in a place with basically no COVID would you get the vaccine.

We have had a total of 2 cases of community spread in the last 137 days, it was immediately and easily contained and no more cases since. Life is basically normal (except hotel quarantine for peop,e come in from overseas) and leaving your details when you go places for contact tracing. No one had died in our state from COVID in 10 months. And the rest of the country has fairly similar statistics. Would you still get it, in those circumstances?

I would probably have to consider what it will look like should I need to travel somewhere, and when travel is opened back up more in your country. But, just my initial thoughts, probably not. At least not yet.

Our governor just announced that people 65+ and PK-12 staff will be eligible starting February 8th. However, not everyone in the phase before us has gotten their first shot. I am thinking it will open for us to get on a waiting list of sorts, like get in line, and then we wait for our number to be called. We are traveling to Indy at the end of Feb for Elite Team Cup and I am both hoping and worried that I will be called before then.

Virus gonna do what the virus gonna do. Unless you are maintaining strict limits on mobility forever, virus is here to stay. Not the human condition to be lockdowned. So it’s herd immunity, only 2 ways that happens. Every one gets the virus or vax.

I will be vaxed. Even if I lived by you. I like traveling. Going out. Hugging.

Virus gonna do what the virus gonna do. Unless you are maintaining strict limits on mobility forever, virus is here to stay. Not the human condition to be lockdowned. So it’s herd immunity, only 2 ways that happens. Every one gets the virus or vax.

I will be vaxed. Even if I lived by you. I like traveling. Going out. Hugging.

We are still travelling, going out and hugging. The only limitation at this stage is no going overseas. They are not planning on changing that even when people do get vaccinated (it has not started yet). It’s highly unlikely international travel will resume at all for us in 2021. But aside from that we doing pretty much everything else we did pre virus.

I would because I love to travel, my family live in the UK and I live in Canada. Even if Canada had no cases, hahaha, to travel to the UK would mean I would need to be protected. I am going to stick my neck out and say by Q1 of 2022 international travel will be opening up.

If I lived in Australia, last month I would have said no. Since I started my new job, international travel is a strong possibility in the future so I would get it. It’s also in my contract.

[QUOTE="Aussie_coach, post: 605432, ll It’s highly unlikely international travel will resume at all for us in 2021.
[/QUOTE]

That’s a problem and why I’ll vax

I would, but I know my experience is colored by the fact I have already had two doses of the vaccine and "survived" it. The mutations would be the clencher for me-- at some point borders will reopen, and some of the variants are so transmissible it appears they can rip through a non-immune population in a matter of weeks. I would be afraid of what happens when borders reopen, even if it's next year.

I think the guidelines are pretty clear about waiting after having had COVID to get the vaccine, gymnastmom05, so that's the right call.
But that's the problem. The guidelines are not at all clear. Dr Fauci once (in an interview on January 6) said that if you had covid to wait 90 days. But no one else has said this. Current CDC Guidelines say if you had monoclonal antibody treatments you have to wait 90 days but if you had covid you may have immunity so you can wait. Many other experts have said get the vax as soon as you are eligible, just wait 10 days post infection. When you apply for an appointment they ask if you had monoclonal antibodies within the past 90 days and a covid infection within the past 10 or 14 days. There are no clear guidelines at this point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back