So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
Opinions on one versus the other? We will only have the Pfizer Vax.
I know at least in my state there are very few facilities with the freezers capable of storing the Pfizer vax and those are mostly full of research material. I assume most of us will be waiting for the Astra Zeneca for logistical reasons.

Our whole family definitely will once it's available. But we have no underlying conditions so likely won't be getting it for quite awhile. In the meantime, I'm more concerned about my parents being able to get it. My dad has gotten his first, but my mom and stepfather have been unable to get access yet. They are on 3 different lists, but where they are in Florida, essentially EVERYONE is over 65 and therefore the supply is nowhere close to the demand.

I am skeptical about the mRNA technology, but I am even more worried about the likelihood of long COVID. Our family will be vaccinated whenever the vaccine is available to us, which the way things are going here will be never. According to the state guidelines my husband and I both fall into the high-risk category, but so does about half the population. Right now only health care workers and teachers are officially eligible for vaccination in our health district, but of course people with connections are jumping the line.

I won't be comfortable sending my daughter back to school or gym until all three of us are vaccinated. I don't have high hopes that the vaccine will be approved for teenagers in time for her to be vaccinated before school starts in the fall, and even if that happens I have no confidence that we'll be able to obtain the vaccine. Our school district is doing virtually nothing to protect students in schools, and once all the teachers are vaccinated they'll have even less incentive to take any precautions. My only real hope for school in the fall is that OSHA might beef up workplace safety regulations, which would benefit students indirectly.

Opinions on one versus the other? We will only have the Pfizer Vax.
I have spoken to many healthcare workers including many MDs. They all really had no strong opinion either way. Every facility that I have been at, they all had both. Folks say they got what was being given that day and were fine with it. I’ve been doing my personal preventative care visits so I’ve been chatting with my own MDs as well. Even at the practices with multiple docs. They haven’t gotten the same vax. Entirely dependent on their appt and they couldn’t request one vs the other.

No significant reactions from my first hand chats beyond some soreness at the injection site. Mild flu like response. Which is actually the vax challenge working. My 88 yr old FIL tolerated it well also. Husband forgot to ask which he got.

So it’s seems to be going well from my view Of the folks getting it.

I was in Tampa Florida last week. A bunch of folks hoping to get a free tix to the Super Bowl. Giving tix to healthcare workers there. Done by lottery but only if based.

I know at least in my state there are very few facilities with the freezers capable of storing the Pfizer vax and those are mostly full of research material. I assume most of us will be waiting for the Astra Zeneca for logistical reasons.
Moderna has less stringent storage requirements

I will say I was one of the skeptical people in the last survey saying it would depend for me on side effects and efficacy. I am much more comfortable now that we know more about those two factors. I would get it, so would my husband the kids I want to wait and see more data before I decide. I dont feel like I have enough info to make a decision for them at this time. I do remain cautiously optimistic though :)

I most likely will, and my husband will as well. I teach students with medical concerns, and have some risk factors myself. I will talk to my doctor to make that decision.

My kiddos are both adults, so I have no idea what they will do. 1 will most likely get it as soon as she can.

Got my first. Second next week. Rest of the fam not eligible yet but all will get when they can.

Moderna has less stringent storage requirements
Yes you are correct. J&J and AZ will be even easier. Moderna still comes in frozen and has to be kept in a special freezer, but it’s like -13 to 5F, so lower than a normal freezer but not nearly as cold as Pfizer. But then it (Moderna) is good for 30 days in a regular fridge. But the 10 dose vial does have to be used up within 6 hours once opened, which gets a little tricky with scheduling. I believe J&J and AZ will be normal fridge only like a flu shot. Again, I’m just hoping we have more access to product soon. I just got word from my boss that we aren’t getting any this week...:(o_O

I had my second dose 3 weeks ago! My husband gets his second dose in 2 weeks. I got Pfizer and he got Moderna. I'll report back after his and let you all know if we noticed any differences in side effects.

My husband is a high school teacher and will get it as soon as it is available to him. Unfortunately I think it will still be awhile. I am going to wait. I had Covid in mid November and have no high risk factors. Waiting on our kids- I think maybe our 17 year olds can get one of them? 2 of our kids also had Covid. My gymnast daughter has an autoimmune condition but her doctor is suggesting we wait. We think she probably already had a minor case.

I think maybe our 17 year olds can get one of them
You are correct, Pfizer is indicated for 16+ (Moderna is 18+) but who knows when older teens will be eligible. My oldest will be 16 in June, so we’ll see.

Our hospital is already vaccinating older teen patients. I just got my confirmation email for my second shot. I got the Moderna, most of the others got Pfizer.

We are not high risk. My DH works from home. I homeschool my son. We will not be getting the vaccine.

My sister-in-law, who is a doctor, recently got her 2nd COVID vaccine and she was very sick, staying in bed.

We will get it when we can. My husband and I aren't high on the list, but I've told all the people I know in the Healthcare world who've mentioned that they sometimes have extra shots at the end of the day to keep me in mind. ;)

My 93 year old grandfather got his first shot, a second coming Feb 10th. We helped my Father in law get his 1st scheduled for Feb 9th in AZ

My dad and mom have both signed up to get the shot and hopefully that means they will get contacted for some sort of list when it becomes available.

And I signed up DD to be on the teen (12 to 16) vaccine trial for moderna. Hoping she gets a call that its a go soon!

We will get it when we can. My husband and I aren't high on the list, but I've told all the people I know in the Healthcare world who've mentioned that they sometimes have extra shots at the end of the day to keep me in mind. ;)

My 93 year old grandfather got his first shot, a second coming Feb 10th. We helped my Father in law get his 1st scheduled for Feb 9th in AZ

My dad and mom have both signed up to get the shot and hopefully that means they will get contacted for some sort of list when it becomes available.

And I signed up DD to be on the teen (12 to 16) vaccine trial for moderna. Hoping she gets a call that its a go soon!
Puma Jr also wants to do the trial. The Syracuse one isn’t up yet, so she wants me to drive her to Worcester, MA. Lol I told her I’d at least call to find out the details... there is a Pfizer one here but it filled up while I was researching and making sure I felt comfortable with it. Keep us posted!

My sister-in-law, who is a doctor, recently got her 2nd COVID vaccine and she was very sick, staying in bed.
Can you expand? What is very sick? How long? How long in bed?

Yes you are correct. J&J and AZ will be even easier. Moderna still comes in frozen and has to be kept in a special freezer, but it’s like -13 to 5F, so lower than a normal freezer but not nearly as cold as Pfizer. But then it (Moderna) is good for 30 days in a regular fridge. But the 10 dose vial does have to be used up within 6 hours once opened, which gets a little tricky with scheduling. I believe J&J and AZ will be normal fridge only like a flu shot. Again, I’m just hoping we have more access to product soon. I just got word from my boss that we aren’t getting any this week...:(o_O
Pfizer isn't so bad.

Can't speak to all states but here in NY every hospital has at least one -70 freezer. Happened after 9/11, in case of biological attacks. I have spent 10 yrs taking daily temps of -70 freezers at various institutions that we keep nothing in.

But their shipping containers will keep the vax for 30 days (with dry ice refills). And once thawed it will keep for 5 days at 2-8

And any institution with a blood bank has freezers down to -20 ish

Pfizer isn't so bad.

Can't speak to all states but here in NY every hospital has at least one -70 freezer. Happened after 9/11, in case of biological attacks. I have spent 10 yrs taking daily temps of -70 freezers at various institutions that we keep nothing in.

But their shipping containers will keep the vax for 30 days (with dry ice refills). And once thawed it will keep for 5 days at 2-8

Pfizer isn't so bad.

Good! I wasn’t sure how many hospitals had them, but I assumed most. Good to know they are doing well with the storage requirements. We definitely don’t have that kind of freezer in grocery store pharmacies lol. We had to order even the Moderna safe one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back