So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
I respect anyone who chooses not to vax. It would be nice if they recognized that they feel safe to do that is because of those that do.

Not necessarily. I live in a part of the country where there are a lot of folks who will not get the vaccine and it has nothing to do with the fact that they feel safe because others will protect them. It is how the very the medical community in general and how they feel the pandemic has been blown out of proportion (rightly/wrongly) in terms of how contagious it is, whether people can be reinfected etc. Especially the younger population has either been infected or known someone who has and hasn't viewed it as that bad. They would rather take their chances. It doesn't have to do with whether you have gotten a shot. They would feel the same if the vaccinations were note available.

. Especially the younger population has either been infected or known someone who has and hasn't viewed it as that bad. They would rather take their chances. It doesn't have to do with whether you have gotten a shot. They would feel the same if the vaccinations were note available.
Actually it exactly that reason that young people don’t view it as that bad. They have not had diseases that used to be devastating. its because so many have been vaxed.

Folks forget how devastating complications from viruses can be....

Not necessarily. I live in a part of the country where there are a lot of folks who will not get the vaccine and it has nothing to do with the fact that they feel safe because others will protect them. It is how the very the medical community in general and how they feel the pandemic has been blown out of proportion (rightly/wrongly) in terms of how contagious it is, whether people can be reinfected etc. Especially the younger population has either been infected or known someone who has and hasn't viewed it as that bad. They would rather take their chances. It doesn't have to do with whether you have gotten a shot. They would feel the same if the vaccinations were note available.
sorry for so many typos. This is what happens when I try to do two things at once... by the time I went back and reviewed, it was too late to edit.

Actually it exactly that reason that young people don’t view it as that bad. They have not had diseases that used to be devastating. its because so many have been vaxed.

Folks forget how devastating complications from viruses can be....
not really - this specific virus does not affect the young like it affects the old. That has been made clear through studies and the news media. They are not concerned because in general they shouldn't be. Most of the people I come across are not anti-vaxers. They have been fully vaccinated with the traditional ones. They may/may not get the flu shot each year as well. It is this virus and this vaccine specifically.

Done. Both doses for me, first for husband, and all three teenagers have asked to be allowed when their age group opens.

I cried with relief on my way home from dose two. This year was proof that group projects never go well - some do all the work while others sit back, do whatever they want, and expect to get the same grade.

I work with a population -- undergraduate students -- that's been hit pretty hard. I am of course not running studies on my students, but what I can tell you is that some young people with "mild" COVID are out of commission almost entirely for a couple of weeks. I've had students hospitalized. And I have a few students who got it last spring or fall, recovered, and then got it again. It's not guesswork because in these cases, they were tested both times. Some students do get it, are down for a few days, and then pop back up, never even needing to miss one virtual class for it. But there doesn't seem on the surface to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets hit hard.

I don't think I am living my life in unreasonable fear, but I don't want me or my family to get this any more than I want us to get measles or influenza. I've seen this up close and personal, and even though nobody in my immediate family has any risk factors other than age, I'd rather not roll the dice on somebody getting unlucky.

not anti-vax... just interested int he data not being reported and why these important aspects are not being studied.
I'm certain the concerns you noted ARE being studied, but it does take some time for scientific research to be conducted and published. Even though much of the COVID - related research is being "fast tracked", it will take time (and more numbers of vaccinated people) to adequately measure things like reinfection rates in the general population.

I'm certain the concerns you noted ARE being studied, but it does take some time for scientific research to be conducted and published. Even though much of the COVID - related research is being "fast tracked", it will take time (and more numbers of vaccinated people) to adequately measure things like reinfection rates in the general population.
The virus has been in this country for almost 15 months. Reinfection rate should have been studied from the very beginning. More than enough time to provide preliminary results.

I just ran a very quick Google scholar search on "COVID reinfection" and got over 7,000 results. I'm guessing there's some well done preliminary work published by now in reputable places. If someone with access wanted to look into this more deeply, searching on PubMed would get you what you want to read.

The virus has been in this country for almost 15 months. Reinfection rate should have been studied from the very beginning. More than enough time to provide preliminary results.
Yes, the reinfection rate is very low based on various studies. And that was prevax.

And if the NIH hasn’t been participating and gathering data. They haven’t been doing there job.

I got my first Moderna Monday. Since then I have been cycling through all my Covid symptoms. When I get the second dose, I'm booking a whole week off work.

I was assuming she was asking about reinfection after vaccination - hence my statement about more time being needed - but I could have misunderstood!

Proud Gymnast: You stated "and the fact that the vaccine doesn't even prevent you from getting the virus, it only reduces symptoms"

I would like to add some new knowledge/facts to this widely held belief:

Early results are showing good evidence that fully vaccinated people ARE EXTREMELY UNLIKELY TO BECOME NEWLY INFECTED WITH, AND TRANSMIT, THE VIRUS. Over time, as more vaccines are administered and the real-world infection rates among vaccinated people are counted, the statistics/scientific evidence will tell us for sure. Thus far, things are looking very optimistic

Here are two peer-reviewed medical journal articles (i.e. unbiased numbers) that speak to this:

New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), published March 23, 2021: the percentages of fully vaccinated persons who became infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus was 4 out of 8,121 which is a rate of .05 percent
Source: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2101927

And a second study, also published in the NEJM on March 23, found a new SARS-CoV-2 positivity rate of .05% in a total of 14,990 vaccine recipients.
Source: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2101927

If the above rates continue, it does indeed seem that vaccination will reduce infection with, and transmission of, the virus.

I am sure we all know people who are not able to get the vaccine who would love to be able to do so (i.e., immune-compromised, those undergoing chemotherapy, etc.). For their sake, even if you are not worried about yourself or your family getting COVID, it would be a gesture of love and support to your community to get the vaccine and help reduce the amount of circulating virus. And we all care about our community, right?
Whoops! I just realized the two links I put up are the same article. There were two studies, one in Southern California and one in Texas. The link to the TX study is below:

Do the reports mention how many of the vaccinated medical personnel in these studies previously had Covid? I read the first and did see it but it may be buried in the tables. It may account for the significantly improved response compared to the clinical group. I have not seen any studies that determine the re-infection rate in general. If it were high, I am sure we would be hearing about it in the news and it has been almost 18 months since it arrived on our shores. I feel that this data may not be disclosed until most of the population has been vaccinated.

not anti-vax... just interested int he data not being reported and why these important aspects are not being studied.
I took a second look at each study, and I do not see a mention of any #'s regarding vaccinated personnel having had COVID previously. Hopefully, as time goes on, all these considerations will be studied and we will have more solid data.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back