So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
I work with a population -- undergraduate students -- that's been hit pretty hard. I am of course not running studies on my students, but what I can tell you is that some young people with "mild" COVID are out of commission almost entirely for a couple of weeks. I've had students hospitalized. And I have a few students who got it last spring or fall, recovered, and then got it again. It's not guesswork because in these cases, they were tested both times. Some students do get it, are down for a few days, and then pop back up, never even needing to miss one virtual class for it. But there doesn't seem on the surface to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets hit hard.

I don't think I am living my life in unreasonable fear, but I don't want me or my family to get this any more than I want us to get measles or influenza. I've seen this up close and personal, and even though nobody in my immediate family has any risk factors other than age, I'd rather not roll the dice on somebody getting unlucky.
I also work with college students and can confirm that they are reporting anecdotally getting it twice, but their accounts don't jive with the low reported rates of reinfection. It's a curious thing.

Yeah, it is weird. I wonder what is happening? It makes me wonder if maybe they never really fully recovered in the first place and it was actually a relapse.

Yeah, it is weird. I wonder what is happening? It makes me wonder if maybe they never really fully recovered in the first place and it was actually a relapse.
I also work with undergrads and I've noticed this pattern as well. Many of my students have gotten covid and at least a couple of them have gotten it twice with confirmed positive tests. I know the stats say it's unlikely so maybe they were never truly negative and symptoms just went away for a while?

The class I teach involves a lot of recorded speeches (since we're online) and I've had to watch two separate videos of students attempting to give their speeches while infected. Coughing, wheezing, and in one case having to sit down halfway through and catch her breath... all in college students without any other health conditions. I also have a colleague in her mid thirties who has long Covid and she has been suffering for nearly six months. I work in the humanities so I have no particular expertise in the world of vaccine science, but I can say with certainty that my DD and I are getting the vaccine as soon as we're allowed to. Hopefully sometime in April for me. Can't come soon enough.

It breaks my heart to see these young people struggling. We have many first gen students and when they get sick, they can't work, and it stresses them out beyond belief, which makes recovery harder. All I can do is to keep them from worrying about my class, but uggggh.

Not a medical expert here so this may not make any sense at all but I wonder if this virus can go dormant in some people., like many other viruses and bacterial infections. Some people are much more susceptible to resurgence of those dormant infections.

It breaks my heart to see these young people struggling. We have many first gen students and when they get sick, they can't work, and it stresses them out beyond belief, which makes recovery harder. All I can do is to keep them from worrying about my class, but uggggh.
Right there with you. I've gone through waves of anger, sadness, frustration, you name it. Mostly I'm just trying to make it clear to my students that it's okay to prioritize their health (mental and physical) over my class. They put so much pressure on themselves, especially the students like you said who are trying to hold down a job and stay in school full time through all this. I have a student athlete in my class who's been suffering from a nasty concussion all semester. Finally I got an email that she was feeling better, she starts getting caught up on work, and then bam. Covid. Terrified that she's going to fail all her classes and lose her scholarship, but too sick to even attend virtual class. As you say, it really is heartbreaking.

That would be my thought. Or a mad test

@mls529 The covid vaccine is absolutely a novel tech available to the public. The trials you mentioned are just now providing phase I and interim reports. mRNA has also been used for therapeutics, but most of those studies have stalled or have been abandoned, most likely because of the novelty and lack of long term data. Basically, the preliminary results are very promising but investors and/or execs aren’t /weren’t ready to move in that direction. IMO, mRNA tech could greatly reduce the manufacturing expenses of vaccines and other therapies which would lead to a drop in new therapies and thus reduce profit margins for pharma & that’s why most research hasn’t been completed. Covid has given these researchers the opportunity to establish and explore mRNA advantages. For this reason, I get how some extremists could exaggerate its rollout as a giant experiment. As more data begins to emerge, I’m cautiously approaching the vax and I think more and more would come around to it if they knew that this tech could lead to better therapies for things like diabetes and heart disease. From the beginning, I always wondered why this is the approach that pharma took for the covid vax, but in the beginning that information was very limited or was just consumed by the multitude of media reports on any vaccine updates. Still would really, really prefer a more traditional vaccine, especially for my kiddos, just for peace of mind. My husband got his first dose last week. He had a really weird, but not significant incident. He experienced no systemic symptoms, but got sharp pains followed by extreme soreness in his arm for all of 10 minutes, about 8 hours after his dose.

My state is opening up to everyone 16+ next week. Soon, everyone in this house will have their first ones. We are looking forward to visiting my MIL on Mother's Day and having a much more traditional sit-down brunch with SIL and her family! (We did Thanksgiving two weeks early outside.)

My state is opening up to everyone 16+ next week. Soon, everyone in this house will have their first ones. We are looking forward to visiting my MIL on Mother's Day and having a much more traditional sit-down brunch with SIL and her family! (We did Thanksgiving two weeks early outside.)
After our second vaxes we will be heading up to see my aunt to celebrate her 91 st birthday in June.

Everyone in my family will be fully vaccinated by April 23rd, which is great. My daughters will be flying in the coming months and it’s a relief they’ll be protected. I’m finding it hard to go back to anything resembling normal though, with the variants and the unknowns about how much the vaccines prevent them. My husband asked if I wanted to go to a movie- that was a hard no. My daughter asked me to take her to a thrift store to look for something- that was a maybe. Indoor dining- nope.. outdoor dining, maybe. I’m still kind of all over the place, if I’m being honest.

Yeah, I think getting used to a post-covid world will be a gradual process.

As it should be, imo. It's worth taking time to look at these things and figure out what's worthwhile and what's not. I'd be perfectly happy if masks remained mandatory on public transportation, at least during flu seasons; I'd also be happy if we kept people working from home wherever possible.

Not everything needs to go back to the way it was before.

Mr. QC got his first jab today, I get mine tomorrow. We're eyeing our second dose + two week date eagerly--we've been really locked down this year. There are some things I hope to keep--I love working from home and am hoping to secure it for 80-90% of my time going forward--but we are desperately looking forward to seeing friends and family again. There's also just going to be a readjustment people as we get used to spending time with people again. The idea of eating at a table with someone outside our household seems very intimate now, but I still can't wait to have gaming and dinner nights with friends again.

Glad to hear that the vaccination process is going strong in the USA, if many of you are soon getting or have even got their vaccination already.

In my country 20 % of the population has got their first shot, but that means just elderly people and people working in the health care.

I'm 27 so I'll be in the last group to get it. Now they are giving shots to 70+ year old people.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back