So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
The whole point of the covid vaccines was to reduce severe illness resulting in hospitalizations and deaths. If the current vaccines have a wide enough range to keep down serious illness (hospitalizations) with future variants, there will be no need for boosters. Or possibly only boosters needed for a subsection of the population who are known to develop less immune response to the initial doses (elderly, immune suppressed).

I want to be protected against any COVID infection, not just hospitalization, because of the long-term risk. 30% of people who get COVID have long-term complications, and 85% of people with long COVID had "mild" or "moderate" cases. Sign me up for whatever boosters are necessary to minimize the chance of infection.

As we are only a year out we really don’t know what the actual long term complications are.

We already do know that these complications can last several months or more. That's scary enough for me to want to avoid any infection.

I take long COVID very seriously because I've been through several rounds of months-long illness before. It really destroys your quality of life. I never want to go through that again, and long COVID sounds even worse.

We already do know that these complications can last several months or more. That's scary enough for me to want to avoid any infection.

I take long COVID very seriously because I've been through several rounds of months-long illness before. It really destroys your quality of life. I never want to go through that again, and long COVID sounds even worse.
When this all started, that was my first thought - what nasty long term issues like shingles and those some experience from measles/mumps will pop up in years to come.

I am amazed at the high number of people in the US who have been vaccinated already!

Have you seen a change in your statistics, numbers getting COVID, being hospitalised, deaths etc?

The vaccination process is very, very slow here.

I am amazed at the high number of people in the US who have been vaccinated already!

Have you seen a change in your statistics, numbers getting COVID, being hospitalised, deaths etc?

Yes hospitalizations and deaths are down. The news doesn’t like to report that, but they are

Reactions: SMH

In general, the majority of the people contracting it here now are in the younger population now, which inherently have fewer severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. Most of our 60+ population (the most at risk) have been at least partially vaccinated. So, while the positive cases are still way above where our officials want it, the hospitalizations and deaths are way down.

In general, the majority of the people contracting it here now are in the younger population now, which inherently have fewer severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. Most of our 60+ population (the most at risk) have been at least partially vaccinated. So, while the positive cases are still way above where our officials want it, the hospitalizations and deaths are way down.
That’s a good thing. Its clear this isnt going away. it’s now living with it with herd immunity. At some point it will be very much like the flu.

That’s a good thing. Its clear this isnt going away. it’s now living with it with herd immunity. At some point it will be very much like the flu.

And this is the problem we will have here in Australia. We have no COVID in the community and have managed to stop it from spreading. But no one has been exposed to it, I don't know of and have never heard of anyone coming in contact with any person with COVID at any point in this experience.

But our borders have been closed the rest of the world for over a year.

We can't keep the borders closed until COVID disappears off the face of the Earth.

Our positive rate in Houston is about 4.5% and fairly steady. Transmission rate is at or just below one, so for every one person that gets it, they will give it to one. It’s definitely still around but things are becoming more normal. Most indoor shop require masks but they are open. Many people including me and my bosses are eating at restaurants outside but its usually warm enough to do that here.

Our state is seeing an increase in infections even though many people are vaccinated. It is believed to be the result of people's prematurely abandoning precautions such as masking and limiting indoor gatherings. The state has not recently loosened any official restrictions, but people's behavior has changed dramatically.

Our state is seeing an increase in infections even though many people are vaccinated. It is believed to be the result of people's prematurely abandoning precautions such as masking and limiting indoor gatherings. The state has not recently loosened any official restrictions, but people's behavior has changed dramatically.
And how are the hospitalizations and deaths?

And how are the hospitalizations and deaths?
Tracking infections, actually. There were increases in hospitalizations and deaths as cases rose from the spring low.

But the point I keep trying to make is that hospitalizations and deaths are NOT the only relevant indicators for public health. All infections carry a large risk of long-term consequences. See, e.g.,

"In the study, published Thursday in the journal Nature, researchers looked at medical records of more than 73,000 people across the United States whose coronavirus infections did not require hospitalization. Between one and six months after becoming infected, those patients had a significantly greater risk of death — 60 percent higher — than people who had not been infected with the virus. ... The Covid survivors experienced a vast array of long-term medical problems that they had never had before — not just lung issues from the respiratory effects of the virus, but symptoms that could affect virtually any organ system or part of the body, from neurological to cardiovascular to gastrointestinal."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back