So now that the vax is a reality who will be getting.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So who will be getting the vax.

• We will, whole family as we are approved

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • None of us will

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Some will (feel free to elaborate via post)

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
sufficient supplies (such as pediatric-sized needles) to support adolescent Pfizer administration.
We use the same needles for kids as we do for adults for flu shots, so I’m sure this will be the same. The recommendation used to be a 5/8 inch needle for under 130lbs rather than a 1 inch, but in recent years we’ve used 1 inch for all. The 25g 1 inch we use for flu is the same we’ve been using for covid, so we are ready! And I can’t speak for the entire country obviously, but in upstate NY, supply is plentiful.

For those of you involved in administering the vaccines, how soon after the Pfizer vaccine is authorized for ages 12-15 do you think it will be possible for kids in this age group to receive the vaccine? I've found a pharmacy that claims to offer Pfizer on a walk-in basis, but I can't imagine that they will have their computer system ready to administer the vaccine to kids in this age group the moment the news breaks. My kid basically wants me to monitor the news continuously and throw her in the car the second it's announced.
Intial rush is done. NY has many places that are now walk in. They are now focused on getting the vaccine hesitant vaxed. I don’t anticipate a long wait once it’s OKed.

We already have clinics here that save pfizer for 16 and 17 year olds. I am hoping that when it's approved for 12+ that most clinics that have more than one option will set aside pfizer for under 18 only and give moderna or J&J to adults that show up. It is also possible we'll see some school based clinics.
Our district just sent out a survey (requested by the government) to see if there is interest in having a clinic at schools

At this point there have been 6 cases from 7 million doses in the USA(about 0.0001%). At my age/health, if I catch Covid-19, my chances of being hospitalized are around 5% and the case fatality rate is around 0.2-0.5%.

I am not a doctor, but I am pretty good at math, and I like those odds.
Over here less than 2 million people have been vaccinated. And mostly with Pfizer, can’t find the statistics of how many have had AstraZenica and 11 blood clots reported so far.

At this point in my area you are more likely to be diagnosed with a bloodclot than you are with COVID, as we don’t have community transmission of COVID.

I am not being anti Vax, just choice of which vax. These clots have been linked to AstraZenica, not Pfizer which is the only other vaccine available here.

The clots here have been found in adult women. I got the Moderna in January and February. I would be hesitant to get the J&J.

We use the same needles for kids as we do for adults for flu shots, so I’m sure this will be the same. The recommendation used to be a 5/8 inch needle for under 130lbs rather than a 1 inch, but in recent years we’ve used 1 inch for all. The 25g 1 inch we use for flu is the same we’ve been using for covid, so we are ready! And I can’t speak for the entire country obviously, but in upstate NY, supply is plentiful.
I used to be a public health nurse, but that was several years ago and you just reminded me how much I've forgotten about needle size, LOL. I miss seeing patients, but giving shots to kiddos was always challenging. I didn't immunize many tweens/teens back then, though - most of my clinic's patients were babies and toddlers.

Vaccination talk has been frequent in our house lately. DD19 just finished her freshman year of college and somehow avoided getting covid (as far as we know). Next January she is scheduled to study abroad in Ireland for a semester, so she will likely get the vaccine this summer. DS16 has been quarantined twice so far this year and is likely going to choose vaccination soon so he won't have to miss marching band practices this summer. DS13 is still too young so we will cross that decision bridge when we come to it.

And . . . DD17 was diagnosed with covid early last week. She was asymptomatic when tested but did end up having a couple of days of congestion, and that's it. She tested positive at track practice with a rapid test, which we followed immediately with a PCR. She is very thankful that she hadn't been at the gym for nearly a week due to various circumstances, so none of her teammates were affected. All that to say, she will not be eligible for the vaccine for 90 days, if I recall correctly. She will start college at the end of August, so she is trying to figure out what is best for her, vaccine-wise. Any thought from those who have BTDT?

I used to be a public health nurse, but that was several years ago and you just reminded me how much I've forgotten about needle size, LOL. I miss seeing patients, but giving shots to kiddos was always challenging. I didn't immunize many tweens/teens back then, though - most of my clinic's patients were babies and toddlers.
That’s an interesting point. I am an adult and am under 130 pounds and I assume many women who are smaller would also be, yet I’ve never heard of a smaller needle being used.

Vaccination talk has been frequent in our house lately. DD19 just finished her freshman year of college and somehow avoided getting covid (as far as we know). Next January she is scheduled to study abroad in Ireland for a semester, so she will likely get the vaccine this summer. DS16 has been quarantined twice so far this year and is likely going to choose vaccination soon so he won't have to miss marching band practices this summer. DS13 is still too young so we will cross that decision bridge when we come to it.

And . . . DD17 was diagnosed with covid early last week. She was asymptomatic when tested but did end up having a couple of days of congestion, and that's it. She tested positive at track practice with a rapid test, which we followed immediately with a PCR. She is very thankful that she hadn't been at the gym for nearly a week due to various circumstances, so none of her teammates were affected. All that to say, she will not be eligible for the vaccine for 90 days, if I recall correctly. She will start college at the end of August, so she is trying to figure out what is best for her, vaccine-wise. Any thought from those who have BTDT?
I believe they originally thought that people should wait 90 days after Covid infection before getting the vaccine, but now the recommendation is to only wait 90 days if you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma. If not, as soon as you are feeling better and out of quarantine you can get the vaccine, so at least 2 weeks after symptoms are gone. You should have some level of protection, but they don't think it’s as good as the vaccine and they aren’t sure if it lasts 90 days. I’d ask her doctor? I don’t think you need to rush right out, but I wouldn’t wait the full 90 days either. And I have not heard of having Covid affecting which vaccine to get. As far as I know, it would be the same as choosing a vaccine if you haven’t had Covid.

ETA: I’ve seen this info in several places, but Cleveland Clinic is the most recent one I’ve read.

We already have clinics here that save pfizer for 16 and 17 year olds. I am hoping that when it's approved for 12+ that most clinics that have more than one option will set aside pfizer for under 18 only and give moderna or J&J to adults that show up. It is also possible we'll see some school based clinics.
In Ohio, there have been several school based clinics (in larger districts) for those older students who wanted to get vaccinated. I think they started happening within a week of 16+ being approved.

Yes, for us they have limited the AstraZenica vaccine to those over the age of 50.

For those with more knowledge, why is it safer for over 50’s?

Yes, for us they have limited the AstraZenica vaccine to those over the age of 50.

Most (if not all) of the cases of vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia (or VITT) following J&J administration have been identified in patients under 50 in the U.S.. There was also a case in a young male (late teens-early twenties, I believe) during the vaccine's clinical trial.

Sorry, tried to edit my previous post but ran out of time...

Most (if not all) of the cases of vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia (or VITT) following J&J administration have been identified in patients under 50 in the U.S.. There was also a case in a young male (late teens-early twenties, I believe) during the vaccine's clinical trial. Age seemed to be the common factor among those affected. Interesting how countries are approaching this differently, though, with the age restrictions already mentioned in some countries vs. the U.S. approach (vaccine still available but individuals can decide whether to receive it or not). From a clinical perspective, VITT has to be treated differently than other blood clotting disorders, so there was a push to share that information with health care providers if they see patients with signs of VITT and a history of receiving J&J vaccine.

Basically the idea if that those at risk of more severe complications of covid are over 50, so for them the risks of clotting with AZ or J&J are not as high as the covid risks of clotting and death.

The younger folk tend to have far fewer complications, so the risks that come with the viral vector vaccines are really not worth it.

Most (if not all) of the cases of vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia (or VITT) following J&J administration have been identified in patients under 50 in the U.S.. There was also a case in a young male (late teens-early twenties, I believe) during the vaccine's clinical trial. Age seemed to be the common factor among those affected. Interesting how countries are approaching this differently, though, with the age restrictions already mentioned in some countries vs. the U.S. approach (vaccine still available but individuals can decide whether to receive it or not). From a clinical perspective, VITT has to be treated differently than other blood clotting disorders, so there was a push to share that information with health care providers if they see patients with signs of VITT and a history of receiving J&J vaccine.
All vaccines in US are EUA. Emergency Use Authorized. Which means no one going to be responsible for any issue. It’s all vax at your own risk.

It’s a platelet issue not a ”clotting“ disorder. End result is clot. Mechanism is different

All vaccines in US are EUA. Emergency Use Authorized. Which means no one going to be responsible for any issue. It’s all vax at your own risk.
True, but we know there are many who don't see it that way. Lots of people are already skeptical of the vaccines, feeling they were rushed into use. Some people would and have used the instance of side effects and potential for blood clots as an "I told you so!" moment. Very easy to blame the government/big pharma for anything that goes wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back