Parents So Sad for Little Bit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We should always remember too, that we may have 300 regular posters, but we have thousands of lurkers. Any one of them could be someone from the same gym or even a coach. We know for sure that people here have been tossed out of gyms posting about gym moves here.

We always assume that we are hearing the big picture, but I know when I vent I tell my story my way. Frankly if I had quit the gym I wouldn't be taking my kid back during her old training times, just to distracting for everyone, and too hard for my kid.

We should always remember too, that we may have 300 regular posters, but we have thousands of lurkers. Any one of them could be someone from the same gym or even a coach.

FOR SURE!!! I know I have been able to identify TONS of people because of all the info. they put out on the internet. Nothing is truly private anymore!!!!

Excellent reminder not to let keyboard bravado carry you away. I always try to post with the reminder in my head not to type anything that I wouldn't say to the face of the person I'm referencing.

You bring up a great point. On a forum such as this (or any other) we only get one side of story. In my mind there is always 3 sides to the story - (1) from person A, (1) from person B, and (1) that is somewhere in the middle, which is probably closest in actuality. Always a good thing to keep in mind when posting/responding to posts on here. Unless there is someone else posting who gives the other side of the story - don't assume that a poster has 100% of the facts correct. Not to say that anyone on here would purposely post inaccurate facts, just that we are all skewed by our own experiences and they slant our own views - NOT referring to the OP in this statement at all (so don't start throwing rocks at me yet, lol), just a generalization that we all have our own version of events and should be mindful of that.

Well said. On any forum, you never really know what the whole story is, it is just one side. With this situation, it could be very damaging to the gym since her info has been put out there and one could easily figure out what gym she is talking about. The gym can't defend itself here and it is just one side of the story (like any story shared on these forums). Not trying to take sides at all, just stating the facts.

I take most things I read online with a grain of salt, because you never really know. I remember once thinking that the CB was so small and safe, but it really isn't. It is very popular and most gymnastics related questions on Google, etc, will point back to here. Many, many lurk and you do not have to join to just read and lurk and it is scary how easily it is to figure out a gymnast's information with just the little bit that is posted. The internet really is a scary place.

....and that is precisely why I keep so much to myself! If I really want to share I always keep "balance" in mind, too much info shared here can be very problematic.

So what information should NOT be posted? Or conversely, what is the information that is so telling? I feel like my daughter is pretty anonymous right now. I don't think anyone knows her last name or her gym. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I also don't want to "out" my daughter.

Bella's mom I think you're safe. YouTube videos are deadly, especially where they show scores or gym names or even the town. Specific gym programmes, like JOGA can clue people in. Clearly using your dd's name or your gym's name anywhere can clue people in.

Though we can safely assume that your dd's name is Bella!

So to stay anonymous, do not post video, scores, names of meets or where you live, name of gym of name of child.

Clearly over time people do find out things, most of you know I am British and live in Quebec, that I have three kids. But as to my real identity I try to keep that private.

Yes it is "off topic" but Internet safety is no joke. Unless your child is looking for college scholarships their is no real need to put them way out there for the world to see.

Bella's mom I think you're safe. YouTube videos are deadly, especially where they show scores or gym names or even the town. Specific gym programmes, like JOGA can clue people in. Clearly using your dd's name or your gym's name anywhere can clue people in.

Though we can safely assume that your dd's name is Bella!

So to stay anonymous, do not post video, scores, names of meets or where you live, name of gym of name of child.

Clearly over time people do find out things, most of you know I am British and live in Quebec, that I have three kids. But as to my real identity I try to keep that private.

Yes it is "off topic" but Internet safety is no joke. Unless your child is looking for college scholarships their is no real need to put them way out there for the world to see.

Thank you for the information. Yeah, my DD's name is Bella..... of course, it has been in the top 5 list of popular American names for about the past 6 years so you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Bella! But seriously, thank you for the specific details to avoid posting.

Thanks for the all the advice! I went back and edited the videos I have posted to make sure I have taken out anything with DD's name. Good thing to remember!

Just another thing about videos & pictures...competition leos are often recognizable to other locals who have seen them at meets. And the signs & advertisements seen hanging in the gyms in some videos(especially those with phone numbers on them) can be gym/location give aways too! You really can never be too careful when it comes the internet. That's why I've never posted any pictures or videos here.

Also with public websites like mymeetscores.com that post most of any USAG (and some other league) meet scores, locations, and full names of kids, it doesn't take much to put two and two together if a first name, a few meet scores or placements and a meet name are mentioned in meet reports. It's kinda scary how you can find out the identity of people with very little information. The internet IS a very scary place!

So true! I enjoy watching the videos posted here. I never cease to be amazed at all the hard work that goes into each and every routine. Sappy, I know. :)

That being said, I was watching one last week and it took me to the poster's YouTube Channel and a state meet. Talk about recognizing competition leos...first I recognized one from our gym...then realized it was my own dd in the background on the beam! Good thing our state (at least at this meet) doesn't flash names with scores. I showed my dd and she told all her friends at school that she is famous on the internet :).

I know you need to be careful, but I thought if you want a scholarship, a lot of coaches are checking out youtube. Is that true? I realized once I posted a video and a picture that some locals on here would know who I was. But, when I talk about our gym I try to be discreet and general when it comes to telling things about it.

I think most of the posts urging caution on the internet are directed more towards the young ones. There are a lot of creepy people out there, specifically pedophiles, who troll youtube looking for girls to watch. I know that I had a "public" youtube channel and several users wanted to "friend" my channel. When I would investigate these potential friends, many had had their channels removed due to violations of youtube policies..... just sayin'.

If I am correct can you set up a youtube channel to only share the videos with people that you want so it's not open to the public? Like lets say you wanted to share with family and friends can you set it up that way?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back