So what is gymnastics "all about"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
We've touched on this in other topics, but I wanted to start a specific topic where we could discuss the most important and driving philosophies behind our coaching and training; why do you coach? Why do you train? What are your goals for yourself and/or your kids?

Some coaches seem to be very competition-oriented. Their goal is to score well and place well at competitions, and their style of coaching is driven by that.

Some coaches are elite-oriented. Their goal is to train their kids to the highest levels of the sport.

I guess I'm a combination of fun-oriented and skill-oriented. I have only two goals for my kids; I want them to work hard, and I want them to have fun. As long as they are doing their best to push themselves, and as long as they're having fun doing it, I don't care if they get first at every meet or dead last. I don't care if their talented or not; if a kid's best effort still isn't enough to place well at meets, that's fine with me, as long as they're still having fun. Now, if, through their hard work, they happen to do well at meets, I certainly don't mind, but I see that as merely a small added bonus, not as the central goal. To me the central goal is the day-to-day drive to become a better gymnast.

I was the same when I was competing: I never even kept track of my scores at meets, and never cared how I placed; it was the skills themselves that I always took pride in.

I did gymnastics because I loved the sport. I loved the challenges, the idea of setting/achieving goals, the doing cool tricks, doing a "different" sport...etc. At times I cared how I did, but most of the time it was all about having fun and doing what I loved.

I coach gymnastics because I want my girls to have the same love for their sport. I want them to love what they're doing and do what they love. It also gives them a way to relieve stress, learn how to deal with fears, overcome challenges, make friends, etc.

I did gymnastics because I loved the sport. I loved the challenges, the idea of setting/achieving goals, the doing cool tricks, doing a "different" sport...etc. At times I cared how I did, but most of the time it was all about having fun and doing what I loved.

I coach gymnastics because I want my girls to have the same love for their sport. I want them to love what they're doing and do what they love. It also gives them a way to relieve stress, learn how to deal with fears, overcome challenges, make friends, etc.

You said exactly what I was trying to say, but much more succinctly.

Solid Foundation

Gymnastics is a solid foundation. Any given day a gymnast can leave gymnastics and do something else. They will be better at whatever they do because they first did gymnastics. That's what it's all about to me.;)

Begin here....go anywhere!

We've touched on this in other topics, but I wanted to start a specific topic where we could discuss the most important and driving philosophies behind our coaching and training; why do you coach? Why do you train? What are your goals for yourself and/or your kids?

Some coaches seem to be very competition-oriented. Their goal is to score well and place well at competitions, and their style of coaching is driven by that.

Some coaches are elite-oriented. Their goal is to train their kids to the highest levels of the sport.

I guess I'm a combination of fun-oriented and skill-oriented. I have only two goals for my kids; I want them to work hard, and I want them to have fun. As long as they are doing their best to push themselves, and as long as they're having fun doing it, I don't care if they get first at every meet or dead last. I don't care if their talented or not; if a kid's best effort still isn't enough to place well at meets, that's fine with me, as long as they're still having fun. Now, if, through their hard work, they happen to do well at meets, I certainly don't mind, but I see that as merely a small added bonus, not as the central goal. To me the central goal is the day-to-day drive to become a better gymnast.

I was the same when I was competing: I never even kept track of my scores at meets, and never cared how I placed; it was the skills themselves that I always took pride in.
My kid is much harder on herself, and it is very stressful. I wish she could have that attitude.

Some children are just really hard on themselves by nature... it is sad that your daughter feels that way though - you seem a little melancholy about it and as if you have had some bad experiences in the last few years ( I am sure many good as well or else your dd would have stopped)... My oldest son has that personality, I am a little tougher about it and won't let him get down on himself... some kids just have a more difficult time handling pressure. My other ds and my dd (although she is a little sensitive at times) handle things with an amazing attitude, I wish I knew how they can all be in the same family and be so different - what I really wish is that each child came with instructions:D ... I hope you will be able to share more of your experiences and I look forward...

My kid is much harder on herself, and it is very stressful. I wish she could have that attitude.

When I first started competing that is how I was, I would be so hard on myself at the practice before a meet and then at the meet itself. My parents were ready to take me out because I would get so sick before the competition. My coach recommended taking ballet classes- we thought to help my beam and floor routines. I now think it was to focus more on the performance aspect of a meet. After doing a couple dance shows and recitals my meet attitude changed, and I began to love just performing and realized that if I practiced hard there was no need to stress about my scores.

I'm sure she will find something to help her relax and enjoy the sport- sometimes it just happens at a certain level. Keep being supportive!!!

gymnastics for us - for my dd - was originally about a mommy and me time... my daughter was very shy and gymnastics really helped bring her out of her shell and gave us a very fun time to share together :) , she is so confident in herself now.... then it became obvious that she was going to hurt herself if I did not get her more gym time, so now it is more about giving her a chance to explore her risk taking side in a controlled/structured environment... she is having such a great time, but from here I have no idea where it will lead - after learning more in this forum - I think, I am still not sure, but I think - her coaches are more geared toward the elite route... my dd talks about making team every single day, she really really wants to, but I have no idea what that will mean for her if we decide to go ahead and do it so.... for now, she is just having fun:D and I get to watch her progress. I think that her coaches are very good at teaching strong basics which is impt to me.. what she decides to do w/it will ultimately have to be up to her.

For my sons their T & T has been absolutely wonderful for developing strength, coordination etc. that they can use in all of their sports... and they also enjoy it so much and want more and more time in the gym. I am thinking that it can be an addiction, just the feeling that it gives you maybe??? my oldest son is mad at me everyday that I did not get him involved sooner...

bumping this up. interesting thread.

for my DD right now, gymnastics is all about fun. she just loves it and is a completely different kid when at the gym. she is focused, tries really hard, doesn't give up and is always out there having fun. i wish she would apply herself half as much to school work as she does when she is at gym. she even behaves better there. LOL

she isn't very competitive by nature and we have already talked about competitions and team. she knows that winning medals or trophies isn't what it is all about. it is about doing her best, working towards different goals and hopefully meeting those goals.

as long as her face still lights up at the words "time to get ready for gymnastics", we will continue. :D

I was a gymnast a long time ago. I loved it because it was a fun sport, and I liked the challenge and thrill of being able to do things that most people only dream about. I don't even remember anything about my scores. I wanted my kids to do it mainly as a fun way of keeping in shape. It became much more than that as they got competitive. Their coach, though very good, was all about winning. Second place was not good enough. On the upside, they improved quickly in their quest for gold, yet there was always that disappointment that followed the sometimes second place (or below) finish. My youngest is still competing. Now, her coach is all about improving skills and having fun. Scores mean nothing at this point. She's having fun, and that's what it's all about. Oh yeah, and she's in shape too!

Ooooh, good question!!!

Gymnastics for me is having fun and making the most of myself. A lot of people about the same age as me are involved in gangs (guys and girls). Four girls in my year have recently got pregnant. Gymnastics keeps me out of that and gives me a chance to do something not a lot of people can do while having A BLAST.

Sorry for excess cheesiness.

I started gymnastics because I was flexible. I stayed with it because it was fun an it was something that I had to work at. I love working at something and then being able to see how far I've come.

I started coaching first and foremost because I was fifteen and needed a job. I wanted a job that I'd a) be good at and b) enjoy. Coaching is so rewarding and it reminds me what I used to be like and that little faces look up to you every day whether I'm coaching or practicing.

My dd is a perfectionist. She is very hard on herself. If someone else can do something that she cannot it does not matter if they are older, stronger, been doing it longer - she thinks she should be able to do it. This stressed me out at first in the gym. But in the last 6 months she has changed. She is competing and doing ok. I was very worried at first. But now she just loves to be in the gym. School is still a nightmare (compares herself to everyone and may give herself an ulcer before she is 8 if she doesn't learn to not worry about what everyone else is doing). But at the gym she is happy all the time, can't drag her out. She is confident there.

All I want is for her to have fun. Whenever she has a meet (she has only done 2, but has one next weekend) we tell her that we just want her to have fun and to try her best. 1rst or last does not matter. Of course she is in a better mood when she leaves w/ a medal around her neck LOL

1.I am a perfectionist too I think, so I hate when I can't do a trick that I have done before or should be able to do. I'm not leaving til I do this trick!
2. No matter how many hours you practice how many tricks you have theres always something else to challenge you.
3. All the conditioning= Muscles.
4. Your team becomes your family and your coaches become your parents.
5. The pride you feel when you finally get that trick or nail that beam routine... PRICELESS
6. Discipline- I believe that gymnasts have much more discipline then other athletes. We can't be thinking about something else when we are doing. We have to focus.
I can give many more reasons! I LOVE GYMNASTICS! <3

That is a great question.

This sport is amazing. I've learned more about life and the real world than I think I would've doing anything else. I think that's what this sport should be about.

I also think that it should be fun, more than anything. That's why I'm still around. That's what gymnastics was to me when I started. Even now at level 6 (which I HATE, by the way :p ), I'm at least trying to make it fun, even if it's not. :)

I coach to be rich....umm wait I'm in the wrong profession :(

I coach because it is a rewarding job. I've never been very good at putting my feeling or thoughts onto paper, but I know that I coach because that is what I was meant to be and its what I'm very good at. I think I may take the more hard core approach than some coaches, I coach to put kids in college, I coach to put kids on the national team, I coach to make national champions, I coach because it is fun, I coach because it is challenging, I coach because I enjoy being in the gym, I coach because I love seeing a child succeed in every area of life, I coach because I am.

that was corny, that is the basic jist of it.

i don't know why i do gymnastics. the sport just fascinates me. i can't really grasp and wrap my mind around the fact that their or 14 yr old girls who can be at an elite status. idk the whole thing just gives me such a rush. if im not doing gymnastics im thinking about it,watching it or making montages of it. I can't EVER imagine my life without it

everyone in my family doesn't understand why i always talk about gymnastics and why i wont stop going and i wont stop training. its like they want me to give up or something, but i don't think ill ever be able to let go of this beautiful sport

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back