WAG So - who has recovered from a stress fracture in their back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine continued to feel pain for 5-6 weeks. Physical therapy made the difference. She was one of the strongest on physical abilities in our gym (1 elite and another level 10 would beat her). But when she started physical therapy all the doctors and therapists talked about the weakness of a particular muscle in her core. They believe this is what caused the problem. I was shocked that any part of her would be considered weak, she is freaky physically talented. But she was so strong is some areas that other muscles weren't being developed and eventually the imbalance of strength caused the fracture. Our gym was clearly missing something in conditioning/training. But to the physical therapists there was a glaring obvious weakness. So going forward she will be regularly evaluated and working with a physical therapists. She has to use her back the rest of her life and we will do whatever we can to protect and strengthen her.
Did they happen to mention what muscle it was specifically? Was it perhaps the transversus abdominis? That is usually a very overlooked but incredibly important core muscle. When engaged, it constricts around the abdomen like a belt, supporting the spine and adding stability. To strengthen it, it takes a lot of specific, focused work, including special exercises that are very targeted to that muscle specifically.

I was wondering how many of your DDs had an X-ray that revealed spondylolisis vs how many had neg X-ray results and it was discovered by MRI or scan. My DD just went to ped ortho and they did X-rays. The X-ray was read “officially” as negative. However, in conversation 2 ortho docs said there was something at L5 that looked “suspicious” they said looked like maybe Spondylolisis and some soft tissue discrepancy. So now she has an MRI scheduled. I am admittedly not great at waiting. Wondering what the chances are that the X-ray didn’t pick up the problem. My fingers are crossed that is the not the case and that everything is “negative” as the official X-ray reading states. She originally went to Dr because of pain at L3 after a fall in a hyperextended position. She never really complained of L5 area but there was a period of time about 6 months ago that she would complain her “butt” hurt every time she did any type of backwalk over. She is 9 so she doesn’t really describe things as well as an older kid might. Thanks all for sharing your stories. This is really a great place to turn when you are traveling down the road of gymnastics with your gymie!

X-ray was negative for my dd, and she was cleared to compete while awaiting MRI....which when read showed bilateral pars L3 stress reaction (point before becoming full fracture).

Good luck on your dds MRI

We skipped the X-ray and went straight to MRI for the diagnosis of L-5 stress fracture on L side. Its been approximately 5 weeks since and my DD is still only doing conditioning (nothing that gives her pain) and just started PT. The only new concern now is it hurts her to "squeeze her butt" and the pain is much lower, around SI joint.

Well, for whatever reason - I haven't been able to log on under me... so I started a new identity - but it is me, Traci. I originally started this thread and thought I would update ya'll. DD is STILL out. This Friday will be 12 weeks post diagnosis. She started PT about a month ago - maybe 5 weeks ago. She was never braced as the doctors originally didn't recommend it and the PT was against bracing at this point. She is finally showing improvement and the pain is MUCH better. PT is helping - although he wants her out for another 4 weeks.... At this point, what is 4 more weeks??

Did they happen to mention what muscle it was specifically? Was it perhaps the transversus abdominis? That is usually a very overlooked but incredibly important core muscle. When engaged, it constricts around the abdomen like a belt, supporting the spine and adding stability. To strengthen it, it takes a lot of specific, focused work, including special exercises that are very targeted to that muscle specifically.

That sounds like the correct muscle. She's still working with a physical therapist and is still "coming back". She's made huge strides in the last 5-6 weeks, that started around the 1 year anniversary of her injury. Some or most of the progress has been mental, it was hard for her to trust her training again and not feel like she was protecting her back.

I was wondering how many of your DDs had an X-ray that revealed spondylolisis vs how many had neg X-ray results and it was discovered by MRI or scan. My DD just went to ped ortho and they did X-rays. The X-ray was read “officially” as negative. However, in conversation 2 ortho docs said there was something at L5 that looked “suspicious” they said looked like maybe Spondylolisis and some soft tissue discrepancy. So now she has an MRI scheduled. I am admittedly not great at waiting. Wondering what the chances are that the X-ray didn’t pick up the problem. My fingers are crossed that is the not the case and that everything is “negative” as the official X-ray reading states. She originally went to Dr because of pain at L3 after a fall in a hyperextended position. She never really complained of L5 area but there was a period of time about 6 months ago that she would complain her “butt” hurt every time she did any type of backwalk over. She is 9 so she doesn’t really describe things as well as an older kid might. Thanks all for sharing your stories. This is really a great place to turn when you are traveling down the road of gymnastics with your gymie!

Stress fractures do not always show up on x-rays - in fact some acute fractures don’t show up until they have started to heal - so yes, getting an MRI if an x-ray is negative is still a good idea. Some doctors (this is just my personal experience) will skip the x-ray and go right to an MRI because there is no radiation with an MRI.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back