WAG Soft rails

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
So apparently JO is requiring the switch to soft rails starting January 2014, the reasons we've heard is because they're better for the elites so everyone has to use them.

They are killing my dd's bars!! She is so discouraged! We talked to a college coach friend, and college is not changing because the college gymnasts tend to be taller and heavier than the little pixie elites, and therefore the soft rails cause them to drag their feet because of the bending. So, my lvl 10 who is trying to get recruited and working her butt off, and has 2 years left, suddenly has to re-learn bars and looks bad doing skills that used to look really good. This seems so unfair.

She recently returned from a college camp where she used the old rails. She said her bars were so good and felt good and she impressed everyone. But now back to regular training and she's getting in trouble because she can't do the same on the soft rails.

Why is USAG doing this to these athletes? Let the elites train with soft rails and leave everyone else alone! As if taller, heavier gymnasts need another reason to be discouraged and feel like they don't belong in this sport. It certainly doesn't fit USAG's claim to want to make gymnastics more accessible and inclusionary to everyone who is willing to commit to the life.

I didn't even know there were different types! We just think it is weird how you guys can move the bars in and out and up and down and have the vault way up or way down. Even your beams are way low I have seen on youtube for meets with mats under sometimes.

Ours is just set. Everyone the same. Much better for comparison but I feel your pain. Not easy for the gymnasts as they get bigger. Especially when she is aiming for college - college equipment would be better for her. I can really see that. Not all elites are pixies by any means though, they come in all shapes and sizes around the world.

Maybe it is to encourage better technique or something.

I'm not really light (about average size for a gymnast) and I swung on them and didn't think it was that different. It felt to me exactly what most broken in single rail training bars feel like, just on both bars. I guess if you've never been on a bar like that. I think she'll probably adjust before the optional season.

NCAA is not requiring them I guess, but I'm pretty sure they're allowed to be used.

What are soft rails exactly? I'm curios to see what our gym has. Do most gyms have soft?

soft rails, according to my daughter, are bars that bend very easily. They give the lighter, shorter girls more spring and help them, but the taller girls have trouble because their feet drag due to the extra bending and its harder to pop off of them.

I don't know if most gyms have them. Ours heard they were coming and got them in early so the girls could get used to them.

Hmm. I hope there is not too much of a difference especially at meets if they have the other type. I'm on the heavier 120-130 pound side.

Sorry if I sounded bitter in my original post. It's just the recruitment process has been very discouraging, and I get weary of gymnastics. But i always love it!! I'm sure others understand the love/not-so-much-love relationship with gymnastics. :)

Completely understand!!

We had to go through this, assure your dd that she will get used to them and it is A LOT easier to switch back so when she goes to college, she'll be fine. I've switched back and forward :/ Was this college bound the region 3 college showcase by any chance? I know that one was like 2 weeks ago. Just curious.

Regardless of your feelings, what you believe, what you question,,,, you need to tell your daughter to deal with it.... It is what it is, its the same for every kids the playing field is even. Sounds like your daughter has gotten it into her head a little as well. So help her out by telling her to adapt.

Regardless of your feelings, what you believe, what you question,,,, you need to tell your daughter to deal with it.... It is what it is, its the same for every kids the playing field is even. Sounds like your daughter has gotten it into her head a little as well. So help her out by telling her to adapt.

My dd was like this the previous year but with no grips having a hard time dealing with the chalk on the bars. That was what we had to say to her, just work with your coaches and figure it out. She will adjust.

soft rails, according to my daughter, are bars that bend very easily. They give the lighter, shorter girls more spring and help them, but the taller girls have trouble because their feet drag due to the extra bending and its harder to pop off of them.

I've done level 9 full sets on those rails at 120lbs and almost 5'6"...and boy, did they help. Kipping out of my overshoot was actually slightly easier due to the bounce popping me up onto the bar, and made the high bar part of the routine even easier/better - especially the KCH after my toe-hect. I honestly fail to see how this is a serious problem - the bars shouldn't be bending THAT much extra to cause her to hit her feet, unless she was already very, very close to dragging them before

I've done level 9 full sets on those rails at 120lbs and almost 5'6"...and boy, did they help. Kipping out of my overshoot was actually slightly easier due to the bounce popping me up onto the bar, and made the high bar part of the routine even easier/better - especially the KCH after my toe-hect. I honestly fail to see how this is a serious problem - the bars shouldn't be bending THAT much extra to cause her to hit her feet, unless she was already very, very close to dragging them before

i didn't say she was hitting her feet, I said that's what our college coach friend told her, blah, blah, blah. You can re-read my post if you don't remember. My dd has the problem that the rails are too bendy, she has to slow down her giants and its harder for her to do her release move. Wow, some of you are so harsh. Do you coach that way, Coachp? Cause its not like I've just entered the gymnastics world, my dd is a 3rd year level 10, she's had serious injuries, setbacks, and triumphs. I know things change and gymnasts need to adjust. That doesn't mean I have to like it or not feel her discouragement. This latest change is just another thing to deal with.

i didn't say she was hitting her feet, I said that's what our college coach friend told her, blah, blah, blah. You can re-read my post if you don't remember. My dd has the problem that the rails are too bendy, she has to slow down her giants and its harder for her to do her release move. Wow, some of you are so harsh. Do you coach that way, Coachp? Cause its not like I've just entered the gymnastics world, my dd is a 3rd year level 10, she's had serious injuries, setbacks, and triumphs. I know things change and gymnasts need to adjust. That doesn't mean I have to like it or not feel her discouragement. This latest change is just another thing to deal with.

I don't think the posts were meant to be harsh. Things like this are certainly an adjustment but it's really important for coaches and parents not to "over" react to the issue, because it will put more pressure on the gymnast mentally. I am pretty sure she will adjust after awhile longer, and may even find the bars help her. You may have expected to hear this was a widespread problem, but it may not be as much as you might think, because bars like this existed before, we just weren't competing on them.

Not being harsh, just telling you what I think will most benefit your child at this point. and that is you giving her a little kick. Just my opinion.

Not being harsh, just telling you what I think will most benefit your child at this point. and that is you giving her a little kick. Just my opinion.

My dd doesn't need a "kick," she is self-driven. She doesn't like the new rails and I don't either because she's having to re-learn how to swing bars while recruiters and coaches are coming by. Not a good time to be re-learning things she's done for 5 years.

My dd doesn't need a "kick," she is self-driven. She doesn't like the new rails and I don't either because she's having to re-learn how to swing bars while recruiters and coaches are coming by. Not a good time to be re-learning things she's done for 5 years.
=
Next time put the word "VENT" in your title so people will know not to offer potential advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back