WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm pretty sure there is a rule at lest similar to that, though I cannot point to where it is exactly. I think right in the rest of the info about membership standing. I imagine this was just a quick fix for the time being while they wait for a buyer to come through, but it's definitely not enough.
I’m no lawyer but I wonder how that would hold up legally.

Denying her the right to make a living.

I mean let’say a teacher is married to another teacher. Spouse turns out to be a pedophile. Should the non pedophile teacher lose their right to teach?

I get it. I hate to think he is still profiting or involved. I just wonder if it would hold up legally.

I’m no lawyer but I wonder how that would hold up legally.

Denying her the right to make a living.

I mean let’say a teacher is married to another teacher. Spouse turns out to be a pedophile. Should the non pedophile teacher lose their right to teach?

I get it. I hate to think he is still profiting or involved. I just wonder if it would hold up legally.
I'm not sure of the exact wording, so I'm sure there are some loopholes. I do know of a family member of an individual on the banned list who owns a successful gym, they just have to be incredibly careful about everything they do. Because Geddert is not actually banned at this point, this is probably less of an issue. I'm also not sure if they would offer greater leniency in the event of a person banned for reasons other than child sexual abuse.
Under "Requirements for Registration as a Member Club" (https://usagym.org/pages/membership/pages/reg_requirements.html?prog=au):
  1. Not hire or be associated in any way with any person who is permanently ineligible for membership in USA Gymnastics, a list of whom is available at www.usagym.org/ineligible, or any person who is listed on a federal or state sex-offender registry, a search for which may be conducted at www.nsopw.gov.

Geddert's wife has the right to own a gym as long as she complies with all federal, state, and local requirements for owning a business. USAG has the right not to accept that gym as a member based on its policies, which do not appear to discriminate on any illegitimate basis.

I'm not sure of the exact wording, so I'm sure there are some loopholes. I do know of a family member of an individual on the banned list who owns a successful gym, they just have to be incredibly careful about everything they do. Because Geddert is not actually banned at this point, this is probably less of an issue. I'm also not sure if they would offer greater leniency in the event of a person banned for reasons other than child sexual abuse.
Under "Requirements for Registration as a Member Club" (https://usagym.org/pages/membership/pages/reg_requirements.html?prog=au):
  1. Not hire or be associated in any way with any person who is permanently ineligible for membership in USA Gymnastics, a list of whom is available at www.usagym.org/ineligible, or any person who is listed on a federal or state sex-offender registry, a search for which may be conducted at www.nsopw.gov.
Yes, that part of the bylaws has been interpreted thus far to mean the Club itself cannot have association with anyone on the banned list(can’t work there, can’t be on the premises, etc), not the indivuals who own or work at a club. Thus far indiduals are allowed to have personal relationships with those on the banned list and still be professional members and own member clubs.

I thought that someone who is permanently ineligible cannot benefit in any way,directly or indirectly, including financially, from a member gym. To me, that says it should not be contributing to the household income of someone who is banned, but who knows how USAG interprets it.
Peters gave his gym to his son .... yep. Send emails people and demand that no family affiliation be allowed with banned owners.

Peters gave his gym to his son .... yep. Send emails people and demand that no family affiliation be allowed with banned owners.
What if someone whose father was on the banned list formed and developed their own gym independently? Do you believe no one with a family affiliation with someone on the banned list should be allowed to be professional member or own a member club?

What if someone whose father was on the banned list formed and developed their own gym independently? Do you believe no one with a family affiliation with someone on the banned list should be allowed to be professional member or own a member club?
Thats fine, but the whole, "oh I am not involved anymore" while handing the gym over to your wife or son is a joke. you know Peters son doesn't even work at the gym.... Odds are they won't try to reopen unless they are actually involved.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a6f8946e4b05836a25597df/amp

Interesting article, but 24 hours a week for a level 4? Yikes!

And I get some of these arguments — that Geddert isn’t her coach and stuff, but I would have a real hard time still sending my DD into that environment with what we know now, and a real hard time with my monthly gymnastics checks — knowing that they are going to Geddert.

My "yikes" moment in the article was actually the video he linked, which showed a L3/L4ish girl repeatedly attempting and failing to make the jump from the low bar to the high bar with no coach in sight. What the hell, Twistars?!?

And I get some of these arguments — that Geddert isn’t her coach and stuff, but I would have a real hard time still sending my DD into that environment with what we know now, and a real hard time with my monthly gymnastics checks — knowing that they are going to Geddert.

So this guy Schalter knows all that is going on at Twistars, acknowledges knowing it , says there's "no other place to go" because she loves it even though there are 90 other gyms in Michigan ( albeit maybe not at the Twistars level ), so he keeps his daughter at a place with know coach predatory behavior for Level 4!!

Sorry, but we would either go to a different gym ( I googled and Oakland and AGA seem to be a little over an hour from Twistars and Olympia is about 2 hours) or we would be done with this sport...I don't care how much she loves it...she's level 4 , young and needs to be kept safe..and transferring ownership to the predator's wife doesn't do it for me, it's like the fox guarding the hen house. So my level 4 would either be in for a long car ride to a new gym or we'd be done, period.

And years from now, I don't want to hear how this guy didn't realize how awful it could be and he wasn't warned ....you're warned , Mr. Schalter, get your defenseless little girl out of that gym and into a safe environment.

My "yikes" moment in the article was actually the video he linked, which showed a L3/L4ish girl repeatedly attempting and failing to make the jump from the low bar to the high bar with no coach in sight. What the hell, Twistars?!?

That was my thought, that little thing could have broken her neck. That is one of the most dangerous compulsory skills, they should not be working that unspotted. Maybe from the low bar from a block, but no way like that video.

Here's the video without the article. I cannot imagine this happening at our gym. Heck, when they were still relatively new to the jump to the high bar, one of my DD's friends broke her arm badly falling on a squat on with an alert coach standing right there!

https://twitter.com/tyschalter/status/820743507950370817?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://d-26447378982669384565.ampproject.net/1516850240342/frame.html
WTF!? Did you notice that a sting mat was placed on the 8 incher after the girl fell on her neck the first time? Yeah, that'll save her.

Are we really supposed to believe there isn’t another gym in Lansing Michigan or the area that can produce level 10s/NCAA gymnasts. Is that true??
What about the gym that the Terrifying Trio (Geddert, Nassar, and Klages) all worked at in the 80s? Wasn't that near Lansing?

Reactions: sce

One of the things I have been most surprised with on the Crazy Mom FB Page is how common it is for level 3-4 gymnasts to be training 20+ hours.

There were some scary falls in that video too. My other "yikes" moment (on top of the hours. the girls does) was that little girl traveled with her team and coaches to a meet and Florida, without har parents. At level 4. Why? Why were her parents not there with her? My 16tyo is traveling to meets and we are excited to go with him, support him and just have fun together. Isn't that part of the point of a travel meet. Wait, why a travel meet at level 4 and 9yoa t all?!?

That gym seems to have a deeply ingrained culture that is ripe for kids to be abused, the parents are not included in the process.

Here's the video without the article. I cannot imagine this happening at our gym. Heck, when they were still relatively new to the jump to the high bar, one of my DD's friends broke her arm badly falling on a squat on with an alert coach standing right there!

https://twitter.com/tyschalter/status/820743507950370817?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://d-26447378982669384565.ampproject.net/1516850240342/frame.html
Looks like an open gym. Kid doesn't even know how fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back