WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I believe someone also said they have the same policy for their TOPs girls.

One mother made the comment “I just have a hard time believing that about John.” Seriously? That statement is probably why Nassar was able to abuse as many as he did for so long.

And my guess is the Instaparents aren’t well informed and don’t want to speak out against USGA and possibly risk losing their ambassadorships and other freebies. Priorities right?

Yeah the ‘I have a hard time believing’ comment made my jaw drop. What do the girls and women who spoke out against Geddert possibly have to gain by lying?

Over the years, I’ve heard several stories where upper level girls have tried to leave — some being willing to eat the cost of 6-months of tuition just so they could go, but no other gyms in the area would accept them. Whether that’s out of fear or ‘respect’ for Geddert, I don’t know — but it’s pretty sick/disturbing. Either way, it basically locks a gymnast to either staying and enduring the abuse or just quitting entirely. So unless the family is willing to move out of state to find a better gym situation, they’re rather stuck.

Over the years, I’ve heard several stories where upper level girls have tried to leave — some being willing to eat the cost of 6-months of tuition just so they could go, but no other gyms in the area would accept them. Whether that’s out of fear or ‘respect’ for Geddert, I don’t know but it’s pretty sick/disturbing. Either way it basically locks a gymnast to either staying and enduring the abuse or just quitting entirely. So unless the family is willing to move out of state to find a better gym situation, they’re rather stuck.

Yes, this.

It's also not so easy to prove that you're justified in breaching the contract because of wrongful behavior. Think about it. It's not as simple as going to court and saying, "oh, my daughter was being emotionally/physically abused in training." The question then becomes what is reasonable and what is over the line. For reasonableness, you look to industry standards. If an elite gym wanted to fight to enforce a contract, it could certainly line up a whole string of individuals willing to swear out affidavits saying that the training was tough but completely fair and reasonable in order to get gymnasts to the highest levels of the sport, which the misguided plaintiff's parents expressed an interest in doing to these 25 parents at that gym on the following 30 occasions.

And if a gym has smart legal advisors, of course they'd go after anyone who tried to breach and make sure everyone knew it.

Yes, this.

It's also not so easy to prove that you're justified in breaching the contract because of wrongful behavior. Think about it. It's not as simple as going to court and saying, "oh, my daughter was being emotionally/physically abused in training." The question then becomes what is reasonable and what is over the line. For reasonableness, you look to industry standards. If an elite gym wanted to fight to enforce a contract, it could certainly line up a whole string of individuals willing to swear out affidavits saying that the training was tough but completely fair and reasonable in order to get gymnasts to the highest levels of the sport, which the misguided plaintiff's parents expressed an interest in doing to these 25 parents at that gym on the following 30 occasions.

And if a gym has smart legal advisors, of course they'd go after anyone who tried to breach and make sure everyone knew it.

Which is precisely what he did...so that the rest of them would know they could never leave gracefully.

Yes, this.

This makes me ill. It may not be sexual in nature, (although with Nassar being there there has been sexual abuse too) but assuming what Lemke has said is true, there is abuse in that gym.

I’m sorry, but using a 6 month gym contract as an excuse for why you can’t leave an abusive situation/environment is really weak. If you really don’t want to go back, just stop going and stop paying (they aren’t the IRS or domestic relations who can attach your wages) - let them fight you in court - chances are overwhelming you would win, and if not, oh well - you owe six months of tuition or whatever it is...small price to pay for getting your child away from abuse.

I suspect the parents that stay are there cause they want to be...probably cause they think the training and opportunities are the best and/or fear another good gym won’t take their kid at the same level for some reason.

Our gym has annual contracts that you can’t get out of unless you have a career ending injury or move to another state. People still leave when they are unhappy enough (for stuff way less significant than what has been reported at Twistars). I think some have been taken to court, but I’m sure they don’t regret leaving.

What if I did level 1-9 somewhere else, moved to Twisters for L10? Then it wasn't their years of effort and resources. I should be able to leave when I want.

Attachments

• _20180119_141128.JPG
    _20180119_141128.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 117
What if I did level 1-9 somewhere else, moved to Twisters for L10? Then it wasn't their years of effort and resources. I should be able to leave when I want.

What health club requires a 6 month notice???? I have been a member of several different health clubs over the years and NONE of them required a 6 month notice. That's a bunch of BS.

I’m sorry, but using a 6 month gym contract as an excuse for why you can’t leave an abusive situation/environment is really weak. If you really don’t want to go back, just stop going and stop paying (they aren’t the IRS or domestic relations who can attach your wages) - let them fight you in court - chances are overwhelming you would win, and if not, oh well - you owe six months of tuition or whatever it is...small price to pay for getting your child away from abuse.

I suspect the parents that stay are there cause they want to be...probably cause they think the training and opportunities are the best and/or fear another good gym won’t take their kid at the same level for some reason.

Our gym has annual contracts that you can’t get out of unless you have a career ending injury or move to another state. People still leave when they are unhappy enough (for stuff way less significant than what has been reported at Twistars). I think some have been taken to court, but I’m sure they don’t regret leaving.

How do you think it works when you're moving at L9 or L10, especially if you are not planning to relocate at least 500 miles away? Do you think these families had the option of just walking into another gym nearby and saying, "Oh, hi, I'm here and we'd like to start tomorrow! We're coming over from Twistars because we don't like the coaching style!"?

It's easy to condemn if you haven't walked in those shoes. Imagine saying to your 13 or 14 or 15 year old, who's been in gym for almost a decade and is close to achieving a dream of making it into college gym or elite, that she's done with gym. Because if you try to break that contract, I guarantee you that is on the table if you are not willing to move far away.

Over the years, I’ve heard several stories where upper level girls have tried to leave — some being willing to eat the cost of 6-months of tuition just so they could go, but no other gyms in the area would accept them. Whether that’s out of fear or ‘respect’ for Geddert, I don’t know — but it’s pretty sick/disturbing. Either way, it basically locks a gymnast to either staying and enduring the abuse or just quitting entirely. So unless the family is willing to move out of state to find a better gym situation, they’re rather stuck.

Do you know the names of the other gyms that would not accept the Twistars gymnasts that wanted to move?

How sad for a parent to come out and say that since she nor her daughter have ever witnessed him do something like this that it didn't happen! I mean I am all for innocent before proven guilty, but ummm hello?

Reactions: SMH
Baylee Pickel called out geddert and his treatment of her while a gymnast. But she did say geddert banned Larry for coming into the gym but didn’t hear why. Did he know what was happening?!? Or was it after the news broke?

One mother made the comment “I just have a hard time believing that about John.” Seriously? That statement is probably why Nassar was able to abuse as many as he did for so long.

And my guess is the Instaparents aren’t well informed and don’t want to speak out against USGA and possibly risk losing their ambassadorships and other freebies. Priorities right?

But that really is how abusers who get away with it for years and years and years come across.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back