WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wonder if tye transition if ownership voids any contractual non-compete for coaches and gymnasts. Hopefully a decebt gyn or two in tbe area will court those coaches who are a healthy backbone to the gym and entice them away from Twistars.

Are we really supposed to believe there isn’t another gym in Lansing Michigan or the area that can produce level 10s/NCAA gymnasts. Is that true??

At the moment, this is pretty much true. Twistars has been the monopoly for high-level gymnastics in the Lansing area for a long time and the local economy was hit hard by the 2008 recession so I imagine it would have been very difficult to start a new gym in the past 10 years or so. The only other gym in the Lansing area is Red Cedar Gymnastics, which has had some Level 9s recently. I have no inside knowledge of their coaches or whether or not they have coached 10s in the past. But right now, getting to any other gym with Level 10s would involve driving to Grand Rapids, Flint, Ann Arbor, or metro Detroit - all an hour plus commute.

With that said, I don't see why someone with a Level 4 wouldn't at least try the "less competitive" gym in town - a few extra tenths at that level is not worth exposure to an abusive environment, IMO. And I truly hope that one of the "good guys" at Twistars either buys the gym from the Gedderts or goes out on their own. If ever there were a time for a new gym to open in the area, it's now!

And I truly hope that one of the "good guys" at Twistars either buys the gym from the Gedderts or goes out on their own.

But are there truly any ‘good guys’ at Twistars? At the very, very least, every coach had to have known the abuse gymnasts were receiving from Geddert. Does being non abusive in a gym with a looming big bad monster make you a good guy if you watch, see it, and say or do nothing?

I wonder if tye transition if ownership voids any contractual non-compete for coaches and gymnasts. Hopefully a decebt gyn or two in tbe area will court those coaches who are a healthy backbone to the gym and entice them away from Twistars.

wow. Sorry for the post nearly unreadable with typos. I love my Samsung phone, except the darn keyboard.

Does being non abusive in a gym with a looming big bad monster make you a good guy if you watch, see it, and say or do nothing?
I get the impression he made it very difficult to leave. And if a coach went to the authorities or USAG and reported abuse, would Geddert say it was slanderous and have a whole battalion to support him and say that he's not abusive--that reporting coach is too soft and not demanding enough.

But are there truly any ‘good guys’ at Twistars? At the very, very least, every coach had to have known the abuse gymnasts were receiving from Geddert. Does being non abusive in a gym with a looming big bad monster make you a good guy if you watch, see it, and say or do nothing?

Hopefully for the kids there was someone left who was kind. Maybe we can liken that coach, if he or she exists, to the teacher who teaches at the scary school just so they can help one child.

Maybe I live is a dream world.

I get that gymgal. But as someone who has an hour commute each way just for better coaching, not an abusive environment, I don’t have sympathy.

I completely understand your point of view too. I have known many families over the years who have traveled extreme distances for their kids to chase their dreams and I have the utmost respect and admiration for that. The irony is that, for many years, families have traveled an hour or more to go to Twistars!

Hopefully for the kids there was someone left who was kind. Maybe we can liken that coach, if he or she exists, to the teacher who teaches at the scary school just so they can help one child.

I think I live in the same dream world as you! This is my hope as well.

yes I empathize but that doesn’t mean i can agree they are making the right decision. Life is hard and situations are hard. I LOVE gymnastics, everything about it (except for this crap!). My daughter LOVES gymnastics. I LOVE that she LOVES gymnastics. But you know what, I love her more than either of us love gymnastics. Any gymnast, whether they are elite, NCAA, level 10, level 7, level 4 will eventually not be a gymnast. So my goal is to teach my child that she is strong, wonderful woman (gymnastics or not). Sending her to a gym like Twistars, especially now that these stories are all out in the open, doesn’t do that. It just doesn’t.

I would honestly think that even if there are great coaches at the Twistars, I could see other gym owners being very hesitant to hire them. Hard to jump into that crazy boiling pot if you don't have to and I would think any coach at Twistars would be scrutinized more given everything that's coming out?

Would that be allowed in your gym? Ours would not allow kids on the bars without a coach spotting.
We have a different set up , use a large block for kids to jump off to the h bar . So they focus on one thing. We also spot at the jump with big soft mat. Oh and we teach them how to fall so they hopefully will not put arms back. I would stop that in my gym if I saw it.

You don’t. I know this happens at some scary places. Most gymnastics coaches are good people, and it isn’t unusual for them to stick around to help the kids. Often they are being mistreated as badly as the kids.

Last one I Lino’s that left (a few years ago, was a compulsory coach). She did everything asked, turned in proper notice (was leaving for a gym closer to her)....he proceeded to spend the time she had there left belittling her in front of students, telling them Coach X is leaving you, she is a quitter and doesn’t care about you, etc.... even called her out in his silly monthly newsletter. Made her months there miserable and awkward for the kids.
That us awful, juvenile behavior. What a horrible excuse for a human being he is.

I seem to remember that they also sign an employment contract in which they also must give 6mo notice or be sued for breach of contract

Pretty sure this is true. The last gym my dd was at the owner had all the coaches sign a contract upon hire. In that contract, it had a clause in it that stated if they quit they can not coach or open their own gym within a 30 mile radius for 1 year. 2 coaches quit. 1 opened their own gym. Owner at the old gym sued and won.

Pretty sure this is true. The last gym my dd was at the owner had all the coaches sign a contract upon hire. In that contract, it had a clause in it that stated if they quit they can not coach or open their own gym within a 30 mile radius for 1 year. 2 coaches quit. 1 opened their own gym. Owner at the old gym sued and won.

Our gym has our coaches sign something like that too. I heard rumors one was sued over it - this was a coach who was just coaching at another gym, not opening their own...not sure what came of the alleged lawsuit. It’s not uncommon for athletes to leave to “follow” coaches around me, so I can see why a gym may want to have that (especially when they have a lot of turnover). I’d also say that in my area there seems to be a lot of turnover/moving around among gym coaches. My daughter has had multiple coaches at her current gym that we’re a coaches at her old gyms...experienced coaches who can spot and know what they are doing are just at a premium around here.

I do, however, find it a little ironic/shady that our gym will take in coaches right away when they leave other gyms, but then they have a contract forbidding our coaches from moving around (and have even sued people over it - allegedly). They do the same thing w/ gymnasts too - our girls are under contract and can’t leave mid-season (per the contract that is - some defy it and just go), but then they take in girls mid-season when it suits them (usually when the girl is a higher level). So go figure...

It is my understanding that some states have different laws. In CA a non compete can only apply to owners . Anyone know if this is factual.

Reactions: sce
It is my understanding that some states have different laws. In CA a non compete can only apply to owners . Anyone know if this is factual.
Yes, agree this is how it is in CA, non-compete agreements for employees are completely unenforceable. I think it is this way in a few other states, just not sure which ones or how many.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back