Parents Sore hands? Suggestions needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipping_girls

Proud Parent
Looking for suggestions for treating sore hands. One of my daughters (9years old level 8) has stepped up the training hours on bars lately. She is complaining about her hands being SUPER sore. Not rips, just over all soreness she defines as "burning". The discomfort isn't just when she is on bars, but rather most of the day and covers her palms and her fingers.

Has anyone had to deal with pain like this? Our gymnasts have had there fair share of rips, but this is so different, I am out of ideas.

Any suggestions for what we can do at home to help relieve some of the discomfort?

My dd had this. Her hands, and esp her fingers, would be burning red. If I find it, I can send you the picture. It was insane. But not all the time. Would come and go. We would mostly use ice to contain the burning feeling and reaction. If the skin was rough, maybe a touch of bag balm.

I second bag balm, though the scent is quite awful.

My DD mostly uses a garden balm that we found at a craft fair. It can be ordered online - the brand is Good Earth. It conditions her skin and she thinks it even takes some of the sting away. (Ingredients: olive oil, cocoa butter, bees wax and essential oils depending on scent (my DD uses the Lemongrass Lavender one with lavender, lemon verbena, vanilla oleoresin and basil). But I'm sure you can find garden balms at many places.

Otherwise, a lanolin cream has also worked in a pinch, though my DD would refuse to admit it LOL!

Bag balm is a brand name of udder balm. If you've got feed stores around, you can likely get some udder balm for a lot less than what you'll find in CVS, etc. Same stuff.

What I have found works best is any good barrier ointment to promote moist wound healing. Udder balm/bag balm etc. has the same base as ointments made for nursing moms-lanolin. In my experience just lanolin provides all you need in a barrier ointment, it is pretty much odorless and you do not need any extra ingredients, although other ingredients are probably not going to hurt either.

I like ointments not creams, something a little thick and sticky has the kind of consistency that makes it a great barrier ointment because it stays put and does not easily wipe away or sink in. But any good barrier ointment (including plant based or petroleum based) with only very mild (non stingy, non irritating) ingredients should work fine.

What we do is, after nighttime shower or bath or just washing hands, pat hands dry gently, coat painful areas with a layer of the ointment of choice, and wear "breathing" natural fiber socks over hands overnight. (cotton, wool or silk.)

She also might want to be aware of how she treats her hands at all times. Is she washing them too much? Using too harsh a soap? Using hot air to dry them after washing? Using alcohol based hand sanitizer? Any of these or other practices that dry out or "chap" the skin is probably best reduced or avoided.

I think too since she has upped her bars, she will be sore like this. My daughter 9 and also level 8/ Hopes hands are a mess. We did get some cream from a local artisan called Natures Premium Skincare that my daughter was in awe over! She said it really helps! ( was actually upset that she forgot it at home today ) You can order some at www.aloeverafordryskin.com ... she isn't impressed by many of the salves and balms she has had, but seems to think this really helps. Anyway its worth a try!

[QUOTE="She also might want to be aware of how she treats her hands at all times. Is she washing them too much? Using too harsh a soap? Using hot air to dry them after washing? Using alcohol based hand sanitizer? Any of these or other practices that dry out or "chap" the skin is probably best reduced or avoided.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't even thought about the amount of hand sanitizer she is using adversely affecting her skin. She is a sanitizing queen! Carries it everywhere and had one clipped to all of her bags. Looks like we are going to have to change those habits. thank you!

I think too since she has upped her bars, she will be sore like this. My daughter 9 and also level 8/ Hopes hands are a mess. We did get some cream from a local artisan called Natures Premium Skincare that my daughter was in awe over! She said it really helps! ( was actually upset that she forgot it at home today ) You can order some at www.aloeverafordryskin.com ... she isn't impressed by many of the salves and balms she has had, but seems to think this really helps. Anyway its worth a try!

Thanks!

My daughter likes Handebalm when her hands are sore like you describe. She slathers it on at night and puts a pair of soft gloves on so it doesn't get all over everything.

I have heard about this one or something similar before, but haven't ever tracked it down. Thanks for sharing the link!

Thank you all for your suggestions! We appreciate it!

Double bars yesterday, and zero hand sanitizer (I sent some gentle soap with her), and some bag balm and lavender Tuesday night after her shower and yesterday before school. She said they didn't sting nearly as much despite having 2 hours of bars last night!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back