Parents Spin off - level 9 versus 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
I’ve been following the discussion about level 10, but there are so many parts to it and whenever I think of responding, it’s gone off in a different path. Lol. So I thought I’d start a new thread about this because I’m curious.

I think the changes to level 9 are great and I definitely see how that could benefit gymnasts that aren’t ready for 10, but have some upgraded skills they want to compete. It does seem like 9 will become more competitive, but that’s fine.

What I don’t quite understand from the conversations is how that will help level 10 for the posters talking about it helping exactly(help in the sense of making it better for the non elite/top gymnasts in level 10?) Wouldn’t it make it harder for the lower skill level level 10s (non elite, first year, etc) to place higher at Nationals? I get that it would lessen the disparity, but it seems some posters were saying that this will help the problem of getting noticed/etc if you aren't a former elite/winning at nationals, etc and I don't really understand.

This is coming from the parent of a level 10 that most everyone here would say should have repeated level 9. lol. Coaches gave her the option, she chose 10. But she didn't compete one event all season and had less than a 10.0 start value on 2 others. She was also injured leading up to the season and just didn't have time. But she had her jaeger and all her beam skills and went to Easterns last year, so she didn't feel like she had anything to prove in level 9 and wanted to stay with her teammates. She has no regrets honestly. But I see where repeating 9 and being able to compete those skills *could* have changed her opinion. But at the end of the day, she was not a threat to anyone else and certainly didn't take anyone else's place in regionals or nationals and it was a good, no pressure introduction to level 10 for her.

It sounds from how you've described it like the changes will benefit the "lower 10s" by giving them a better, more robust and challenging L9 opportunity. The current system is a bit of a race to L10, but then once one gets there the first year is often a bit of a mess. Maybe the new system will make it so that girls can stay in 9 another year, have a great experience there, and enter L10 more prepared. But you're right that none of that makes a difference in the "issue" of so many strong L10s and former elites.

To me, there is no "problem" regarding former elites doing L10, extra strong L10s, etc. as the nature of the sport is that some are just *really* good. And I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do elite, or dropping back, etc. Elite is a beast that is often not sustainable even for those who can handle it. The real problem is what was brought up earlier in the thread -- not enough college programs for all of the girls who are capable of competing at the college level. I'm not just talking about getting more D3 programs (though I agree that getting high academic D3 schools to have gymnastics teams would be amazing), but I think there's room for a lot more D1 schools. There are plenty of really strong 2023 grads who do not (yet) have a spot on a college team, and with very few spots left, it makes me super sad.

I don't think the bonus points in L9 are going to help the "weak" L10's to stay in 9. They purposely are going to 10 for the experience and for the exposure. Virtually no college coaches will look at a L9 gymnast. 'wait until you're L10 then contact me again.'

The current system is a bit of a race to L10, but then once one gets there the first year is often a bit of a mess. Maybe the new system will make it so that girls can stay in 9 another year, have a great experience there, and enter L10 more prepared.

This is basically what I hope happens... however... I think it will take several years to see the effects of the new changes.

I don't think the bonus points in L9 are going to help the "weak" L10's to stay in 9. They purposely are going to 10 for the experience and for the exposure. Virtually no college coaches will look at a L9 gymnast. 'wait until you're L10 then contact me again.'
I didn't finish my reply - sorry

I meant to add that I think this new rule will benefit younger gymnasts who climb the levels quickly. For them, doing 2 years of L9 will be a great help to solidify their routines and extra experience on the "national" stage. It also saves their bodies from an extra year of L10 with heavier pounding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back