Coaches Split Jumps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BeamPrincess

Coach
Judge
The one leap/jump I find gymnasts struggle with is Split Jumps.

It is perhaps from Active Flex needing improving. I do resistance band jumps on the trampoline/ kicks with resistance bands.

What else can I do to improve the degree of split in split jumps????

Thank you in advance

I think it's a problem skill for many kids. My guess is that human bodies are built to go forward in motion, and are more comfortable when going forward or when a forward motion is incorporated into a motion that goes upward. Basically, a split leap or scissone' will be easier to do than a split jump because it's easier to go up and forward than go up and not forward.

Try adding a small forward travel to the split jump and see if the kids can split as well as they can in their split leaps. For those who improve with that adjustment you can slowly reduce the amount of travel until it's an acceptable split jump. For all the rest, who's to say they aren't getting their split during a leap by using the opening motion the stride into the leap provides them, and simply need more work on the muscles that lift their legs into a split. Upright hangs for them, and they can slowly lift their legs into the split position.

Try those two ideas and see if either of both are helpful.

^^^ she said a lot there but I was just going to say hang from a bar and practice snapping to splits and eventually with ankle weights.

What's the split jump like?

Great response thank you so much for your thoughts and different way of viewing this issue! Will give it a go.

We do bar handing split lifts with the resistance bands as well - but perhaps we should do a lot more!!! Thanks for that also.

Corrections/Instructions - Are to jump up like a straight jump and split legs fast up at the top of the jump and then snap back down for landing.

Corrections can include for back leg - to use their gluteal muscles to keep leg straight.

Active flex seems to be not improving of late. I don't know if it is a numbers thing or something I need to drastically change - the minimum requirement for some is 135 degrees and these girls are probably just under this. Ideal is 180 for no deduction - so trying to get between 135 and 180 for better scoring.

Kick with the back leg and lift the front leg because the back leg needs the momentum and the front leg doesn't. The kick of the back leg will cause a reaction into the front leg so it's pretty much a matter of letting the reaction happen while lifting the fron leg into place.

The timing between the kick and front lift is very close and it should not be apparent to you other than they get their back leg higher.

BP; Leaps/jumps are difficult. I am reminded of this each day in the gym as the skills have large skill value in the USA G Code of Points. Resistance bands kicks and repeat jumps on Tramp and TT (tumble track) are part of the normal leap complex for many of our gymnasts. Good stuff.

5x5x5's: I regularly include 5x5x5's as a part of warm-ups. (5 thera band strong leg split jumps, 5 other leg split jumps and 5 switch leg jumps). I have the gymnasts do sets of 5x5x5's with different focus. Tight leg lifts (not working on amplitude), tight knee, level hips, foot positions, body shaping, complementary arm movements are some of the focuses I use.

Uphills: Some of our USAG L3-6's are on a unit working on strength for jumps/leaps. We have been working on making a sequence of jumps ending the 2nd jump on an adjacent panel mat. This "uphill" is emphasizing strong take-off and active split. Combinations and even a panel mat mountain have made it interesting and challenging for the gymnasts. It has been working to achieve larger amplitudes and dynamics in the jumps. Next week is planned to have them to do a jump shape and then a split jump and land sitting in the split on a block adjacent to them. I have done this with our optionals with switch jumps and twisting splits and have seen the dynamics and "balance" of the split/switch improve.

Striders: To capitulate on Iwanna's reply I suggest "striders." I stand the big cheese mat against a support beam. I have the gymnasts make a striding step, swinging their lead leg up as high as the straight leg can go up against the mat. The pointed toe of the striding leg is supported by a releve leg that is straight and tight. This drill I have used to drill tight back leg take off and the strong lift. I can also use it to work the complementary body positioning of the leap/jump as I have them hold it for a few seconds.

Scissones; I use these jumps shapes in combo with splits. I find that working them as a separate skill has benefited split leaps. To my thought, it just allows me more opportunity to work the strength, technique and timing of jumps or combos.

I will read with interest what other sage advise is given to your query.

Best, SBG-

^^^ she said a lot there........ I was just going to say hang from a bar.

Talk about gender conflicted....... I gotta get some counseling after the past three days.

I want you to know that part of my suggestions came from being a part of the chalkbucket crowd and reading a contribution from you that I liked..... well I didn't use the like button, but I liked it just the same.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back