split leaps level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

isaelijohjac

Hi. My daughter is a 8 year old (almost) level 5. She is very good, confident, on beam. She can also be a bit aggressive on her leaps, straight jumps, etc. Her coach has been telling her to land her leaps on the ball of her foot and to be more quiet on the beam. When her teammate does a leap that is not nearly has "open" she says she wants it done that way--emphasizing quiet. I take her to a private lesson at a different gym and the coach there-who has much more experience than her other coach-is telling me that she should be able to practice the leap she is willing to do...that the sound doesn't matter. If she wants to run hard an leap high she should. (Her other coach is telling her NOT to run into her leap). Her leaps are not nearly as good since she has been focusing on being quiet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should she be trying to be more quiet? (She's not particularly loud). Thanks.

Lora

There is no deduction for making a noise when they land on the beam. But, there is a big deduction for lack of height and amplitude on the leap. It is more important to be aggressive than to be quiet. The only reason I can think of for the coach wanting her to be queiter is if the leap is out of control. Does she fall often? Does she have a lot of wobbles costing her many marks?

thanks for your reply. She is out of control sometimes. but most of the time she lands it nicely. I think her coach may be nervous she is going to fall. Any suggestions on how to bring this up to her?

Why not just take your daughter to the gym that you like best for her instead of sending her to 2 different coaches? Every coach has a different view on things & teach things differently which is why most gyms do not let you train at 2 different gyms. You are only confusing your daughter. Decide which coach you & your daughter like better and go there. Whichever gym you choose you need to be sure that you trust that coach & will stand behind them in their coaching. Oh, and as far as the split leap, I think they are both right.

As the others have said...amplitude and split count for more than "quiteness," after all, there is no deduction for landing loud. I also agree that it would be wise to pick one gym, as multiple coaching techniques and what not may confuse the gymnast. As long as her leap is controlled, then I say go for the "bigger" leap.

There isn't a deduction for landing loud. There are some people on my team who hit the beam very loud. It doesn't matter as long as she is doing her best split leap/

While there is no deduction for loud landings, they can sometimes indicate technical issues like incorrect takeoff (thus making the leap out of control) or incorrect landing technique. Why not ask her coach why she wants softer landings? Softer landings may be more aesthetically pleasing/sounding so that may be the reason. Or maybe she's trying to give your daughter an easy-to-follow correction for a bigger technique issue. It's hard to say. If the corrections a coach is giving your daughter are confusing her (or you!) I see no reason why you can't ask for further explanation. I often tell kids to make corrections without going into the technical background for why that correction is necessary and how it will change a skill because most of the time it's simply not necessary.

I also wonder why it's necessary to send her to two gyms. Different coaches have different methods and I'd hate for you to be confusing her. A quick example - where should the arms be when finishing a backwalkover on beam? Some coached like the arms right up by the ears, some want them by the ears then move out from the body, some like them more out to the side. Any method is fine, as long as a kid does it the same way each time.

KBT--you made an excellent point about communication between gymnast and coach. I always encourage my kids to ask more questions, especially if they are confused by what I am telling them.

I've never even heard of trying to have quiet landings... maybe she is locking her knees or ankles when she is landing and it's the coaches way of telling her that?

Well, my daughter got a judges coin for her split leap yesterday and I have a ballet background so I'm going to take a stab at this (could be way off!) and say...the leap is a dance element and intended to be graceful and controlled. Maybe the coach wants to correct the landing and then work on the height. Just a guess.

Hi. My daughter is a 8 year old (almost) level 5. She is very good, confident, on beam. She can also be a bit aggressive on her leaps, straight jumps, etc. Her coach has been telling her to land her leaps on the ball of her foot and to be more quiet on the beam. When her teammate does a leap that is not nearly has "open" she says she wants it done that way--emphasizing quiet. I take her to a private lesson at a different gym and the coach there-who has much more experience than her other coach-is telling me that she should be able to practice the leap she is willing to do...that the sound doesn't matter. If she wants to run hard an leap high she should. (Her other coach is telling her NOT to run into her leap). Her leaps are not nearly as good since she has been focusing on being quiet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should she be trying to be more quiet? (She's not particularly loud). Thanks.

Lora

I hope your daughter's coach is aware that her athlete is doing privates with another coach.

If she has not been informed, then your daughter's gymnastics is already being sabotaged, and she is only a level 5.

Land loud, land quiet...that is up to the coach to decide. And the truth is that there are lots of "experienced" coaches who don't know how to teach a split leap.

Hopefully there will be consitency later in your daughter's career, because confusion/conflict can lead to injuries.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back