Splits advice needed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really want to get my splits as quick as possible. I am about a foot off the ground for both front splits and 2 feet off the ground for the side splits. Pretty bad I know. Please post any advice you have on getting your splits, any kind.

Thanks!

I am using the 'Front Splits Fast' program by Lisa Howell. It was quite expensive, and I haven't got to splits yet. I have definitely improved, but I wouldn't say 'fast'. I'm hoping that with consistent practice I will get there eventually. The advantages of this program are that it has helped with other areas of flexibility, it is enjoyable and it is not painful. I think most other methods will involve a lot of painful stretching. For example, long static stretches, PNF stretching techniques and so on. If you are a long way off the ground, it might help to work on hamstring stretches and hip flexor stretches (e.g. lunges) separately for a while. For side splits, I don't know much, I'm a long way off the ground myself, I've just been focussing on front splits for the time being. I don't know if there is a quick solution, I suspect consistency and perseverence may be the only way to get there (safely, anyway).

Oh thanks so much! I just started using STACEY NEMOUR's Secrets of Splits & Flexibility and I really wanted another one to use in addition to it. I will go check it out!

My advice would be to be patient! Splits can take awhile. For example I had fairly good flexibility from years of ballet, but once I got to college and wasn't stretching and dancing as much I lost both splits (a few in. above ground). In July I started dancing a lot and going to adult gymnastics classes, but it took till October for me to make up for those few inches on my right and I still didn't have a perfect left split yet that's comfortable. If your a foot above the ground it may take many months! I would suggest stretching everyday if possible and always doing a small warm up before you stretch! Good luck!

My advice would be to be patient! Splits can take awhile. For example I had fairly good flexibility from years of ballet, but once I got to college and wasn't stretching and dancing as much I lost both splits (a few in. above ground). In July I started dancing a lot and going to adult gymnastics classes, but it took till October for me to make up for those few inches on my right and I still didn't have a perfect left split yet that's comfortable. If your a foot above the ground it may take many months! I would suggest stretching everyday if possible and always doing a small warm up before you stretch! Good luck!

Thanks! Patience is so hard for me, but I know I need it and endurance.

lisebeast, you were not joking. It is taking me the LONGEST time. :( I'm even seriously considering using natural muscle relaxers.

You should be able to achieve your splits but it will be a lot of hard work. You need to build up your stretching too, if you jump into it too quickly and don't allow your body time to get used to serious stretching then you splits will get worse instead of better.

You need to do a serious stretch at home once every two days to start off with. When you stop being sore on the second day move it up to every day. Once you improve from that make it twice a day.

Make sure you do a proper warm up before you stretch. Spend 5-10 minutes running on the spot, jumping, skipping or bouncing on a trampoline before you start your stretches. If your muscles are not properly warmed up the stretching will be useless and you will risk injury which will make gaining flexibility even harder.

Once you are warmed up do a full head to toe general stretch of all body parts to loosen up for bigger stretches.

Once you have done this move onto dynamic stretches. 20 kicks on each leg each way (front, side and back).

After this go into more serious stretches such as pike stretch, straddle stretches and split prep stretches, hold each 30 seconds to a minute.

Then do your splits, hold them at least a minute. The first 30 seconds of the stretch is just your body relaxing into the point which you can already do, you don't gain any flexibility in the first 30 seconds. 1 minute is the minimum and 2 minutes is better. Once you have done all your splits repeat all your splits again.

Its a good idea to do it while watching TV or a movie otherwise it is hard to dedicate so much time to it.

Relax while you are stretching and breath deeply.

Drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh fruit to increase your muscle repair time and speed up the flexibility process.

You should be able to achieve your splits but it will be a lot of hard work. You need to build up your stretching too, if you jump into it too quickly and don't allow your body time to get used to serious stretching then you splits will get worse instead of better.

You need to do a serious stretch at home once every two days to start off with. When you stop being sore on the second day move it up to every day. Once you improve from that make it twice a day.

Make sure you do a proper warm up before you stretch. Spend 5-10 minutes running on the spot, jumping, skipping or bouncing on a trampoline before you start your stretches. If your muscles are not properly warmed up the stretching will be useless and you will risk injury which will make gaining flexibility even harder.

Once you are warmed up do a full head to toe general stretch of all body parts to loosen up for bigger stretches.

Once you have done this move onto dynamic stretches. 20 kicks on each leg each way (front, side and back).

After this go into more serious stretches such as pike stretch, straddle stretches and split prep stretches, hold each 30 seconds to a minute.

Then do your splits, hold them at least a minute. The first 30 seconds of the stretch is just your body relaxing into the point which you can already do, you don't gain any flexibility in the first 30 seconds. 1 minute is the minimum and 2 minutes is better. Once you have done all your splits repeat all your splits again.

Its a good idea to do it while watching TV or a movie otherwise it is hard to dedicate so much time to it.

Relax while you are stretching and breath deeply.

Drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh fruit to increase your muscle repair time and speed up the flexibility process.

Thanks!! I always held my splits for 30 seconds. Now I'm doing 2 minutes. It's just 2 days but I'm already feeling the difference.

Just one question though. What are split prep stretches? I'm probably already doing them but it would be nice to know for sure.

I would guess these prep stretches are stretches for the hamstrings and hip flexors.

Thank you Aussie Coach. I didn't know 2 minutes was ideal. I was doing 30 seconds to 1 minute on each leg (and repeating). I will definitely be doing 2 minutes now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back