Splits and Dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so I've been trying to do my middle splits for over 12 years and I just can't seem to do them. I do all the stretches I found online and my coaches told us, but I've only made a 1/2 inch of progress the whole summer. It frustrates me because my other splits came so easily. I also need to have it by November so I can compete this new mount I'm working on and that's the only part I can't do. Any suggestions?

I'm also working on a front layout half dismount on beam. I can do it, but it looks like an ariel, so would it be easier just to work towards a full? I've also been working the same thing, but as a tumbling pass on floor, but my problem is I go up and try to twist and I only do a 1/4 and then either land on my face or on my neck. Does anyone have any advice on how to twist a little farther?

Lay on your back, sit up and straddle, and then slide through (in middle splits) as low to the ground as possible until you're on your tummy. Then push with your hands and slide through splits back to your back. And repeat. :) I don't know if I'm explaining this well..do you get what I'm saying?

When you get to level 8, if you don't have ALL 3 splits, my coach will gently push you down...ouch! A girl told me that when I was in level 7, when I didn't have my left splits, but my overs for middle and right. So, I tried really hard to get now, so I wouldn't have to be pushed down. Though, now I'm working towards my left overs, and bigger overs for the other two:)

As for your dismount, I had the same problem. Though, when I moved to a full, they were beautiful. I think you should work on your fulls.

Sit in middle splits, put your arms out in front of you, and push into the ground with your finger tips until your upper body lifts off the ground. That should push you down pretty fast!

If your layout 1/2 looks like an aerial, you're twisting too soon. I would go back to front layouts, and then add a bounce 1/2 turn afterwards until you have that feeling memorized. I wouldn't recommend doing a full, because if you're twisting early you're just going to land on your butt anyways.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back