Spoiler Alert Bests and worsts...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
We have to have one of these threads!

What are your 'bests and worsts' of these Olympics in Artistic gymnastics (MAG and WAG)

For me this has been a really emotional roller coaster!

Biggest Shock - Jordyn not making AA (I wasn't totally unhappy about it as she was beaten fairly on the day, but it was definitely a shock!) Also Maroney not landing her 2nd vault in EF.

Biggest disappointment - Not because I felt that she let anyone down, but because it just must be completely gutting - Hannah Whelan scoring 0 for vault in AA. I know the rules and am really pleased the judges have been implementing them, but what a shame! It would have just been great to see where Hannah could finish with a good vault!

Sweetest Moment - I can think of 2 - McKayla Maroney almost dancing off the podium after her TF vault. and the chinese gymnasts (I can't recall which ones) making sure their mascara didn't run after they shed tears over the Team not medaling.

Greatest moment - Again, 2 - Louis and Max achieving medals on Pommel and Beth finally getting her olympic medal!

Saddest Moment - possibly because I was there - the Russian team messing up floor in TF. They actually had me in tears!

Most Mind Blowing moment - Epke Zonderland's High bar in EF!

Most nerve wracking moment - waiting for Beth to perform bars!

Bestest, most favourite thing ever - Mustafina is back!!!!

Gymnast I most want to see more of - Definitely because I am British - Becky Tunney - She has improved so much recently - finished 13th AA and was reserve for bar final. She is also a lovely lovely girl!

I'm sure there must be more to add to this, so feel free to add you own categories! I'd love to hear others thoughts!

My sweetest moment was Mustafina being the "big sister" to Komova - hugging her, trying to cheer her up, blocking the camera guy from videoing her in tears.

Saddest moment was Afanasyeva's fall in team finals. I know Russia couldn't have come back from Grishina's performance, but...it was SUCH a good routine until the last pass! It would have been one for the books otherwise.

Biggest disappointment was Wieber not qualifying.

Scariest moment goes to all of the crashed vaults (eek) and also Deng Linlin's first acro pass on beam. It's beautiful, but she has no room for that Korbut. "One of these days she's going to miss the beam and seriously hurt herself" - my coach.

Most surprising - Maroney in VT finals. Oh my gosh. I cried, then I screamed, then I sighed and hugged my teddy bear. (Three stages of grief right there).

I want to see more of...Yao Jinnan. Poor girl needs a comeback STAT! Also Larisa Iordache.

Greatest moment - It was really nice to see all of the two- or three-time Olympians (Ponor, Izbasa, Afanasyeva, Tweddle, Chuso!!!, Dos Santos, He, Deng, Sacramone...oh, wait, that last one...). It was also pretty inspirational to see Aly win FX finals with her Hava Negila music. Represent, child!

Biggest Shock - Maroney's fall in vault EF.

Biggest disappointment - None really. Maybe US MAG team's implosion in team final.

Greatest moment - Aly. I don't she's got the appropriate credit before. Sometimes slow and steady beats the flash...

Saddest Moment - John Orozco in particular and MAG team in general. I don't like to see anyone cry (but especially no one built like those boys).

Most Mind Blowing moment - Maroney's TF vault. Still the most amazing women's vault I've ever seen.

Most nerve wracking moment - watching anyone on BB (including DD!).

Bestest, most favorite thing ever - DD's excitement and her growing awareness of the good, the bad and the ugly (she didn't hit handstand! she didn't stick the landing! her legs were apart).

There's been a lot of discussion about some of the gymnasts behaviors. To me -- if they're on the medal stand, they should be so thankful. For those that didn't make it - try to imagine going through life with a dream, only one shot at it, and it's just not your day.

Biggest Shock - I have two of them here. Jordyn not making it to the AA Finals. I agree, she was simply beat out on that day, but it was still a shock non the less. The second would also be Maroney sitting down her second vault. She is just so consistent on vault, it seemed like the impossible happened!

Biggest disappointment - Komova in general. It simply wasn't her time to shine I guess. But man what a disappointing olympics for her. I just wanted to give her a great big hug.

Sweetest Moment - I thought all the girls on the USA team in the team final was sweet. They all seemed so happy with and for each other. Especially Aly taking everyones hand and them all looking at the score board together. Then about 3 min. of standing there Aly says "Oh, what score do we need anyway?"

I also loved seeing Aly in tears before her FX even ended in the Team Finals

Greatest moment - Aly winning FX Gold and Beam Bronze all in one day. What an incredible day for that girl and she most definitely deserved it!! She has been working her butt off and always seems to be just off the podium.

Saddest Moment - Seeing Jordyn so let down after Qualifications. That girl is fierce and seeing her cry just broke my heart.

Most nerve wracking moment - Waiting for the rest of the girls to compete on FX in FX finals after Aly Raisman. As well as watching the AA Finals live.

Bestest, most favourite thing ever - USA Winning team gold!! As well as seeing Mustafina have an AMAZING bar routine during Bar EF.

Gymnast I most want to see more of - Kyla Ross. She has such great potential still ahead of her!! I really hope she sticks around!!

On a side note - It was sooo amazingly cool seeing Oskana Chusovitina compete at the age of 37. Incredible!

Biggest Shock - Maroney's vault fall

Biggest disappointment - NBC's coverage. Thank goodness for the live feed.

Greatest moment - Louis Smith crying. Also, watching Oksana Chusovitina end her career with a pair of great vaults.

Saddest Moment - Jordyn crying.

Most Mind Blowing moment - McKayla's TF vault

Most nerve wracking moment - Waiting for Kohei Uchimura's contested score to come in to decide the men's team final

Bestest, most favorite thing ever - Just everything. I get so choked up knowing how hard all these people work and for them to make it to the Olympics is mindblowing.

Most nerve wracking moment - Waiting for Kohei Uchimura's contested score to come in to decide the men's team final

Oh gosh! How could I forget that?! We were in the gym at the time - the HC set her laptop up in the gym and plugged in a speaker so we could all hear what was going on from wherever we were - of course when GB were competing the whole gym stopped working and ran over to the laptop. We all held our breath while the scores came in and cheered when GB were in silver. For those few moments everyone was on a high - then Japan's score came in and we were all a bit disappointed initially - they were so close to silver! Of course the happiness clicked in again shortly after! What an amazing achievement for our boys!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back