SPOILER Event Finals Mens Floor, Women's Vault , Mens Pommel (post spoilers here)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Isn't going to happen at these games in Gymnastics.

We only sent one MAG, didn't qualify a full team at worlds or test event, he injured his hand a while back and so only did high bar. I have no idea why we didn't send an alternate as there was lots of time to do that.

Getting two girls into vault final and a full team to the Olympics, and even better into team finals, and placing fifth was amazing for a country like ours. SO impressed with he girls. Vault finals clearly didn't go their way, but it is not as though they were the only ones to have a bad day!

Though we did get a gold on tramp for Rosie McClennan.

yeahhh! I'm so pleased for Max and Louis! And Louis even declared he'll be back in 4 years! Hope so!

Such a surprising vault final - Was so sad to see McKayla looking so upset with herself, but so pleased for Sandra. Not the cleanest vaults ever, but today was a case of 'she who lands on her feet wins'.
Sandra's reaction to McKayla was so sweet too - that hug was definitely genuine!
I hope Elsabeth isn't too injured. I was quite pleased when she didn't do her 2nd vault - I was concerned for her!

Finally we have some European gold medalists in Gymnastics!
(The whole PH final was made up of Europeans - did anyone else notice?!)

Wow, with an out of bounds on her Amanar and sitting on her rear on her Mustafina, she still gets silver. That's amazing when an athlete can screw up that much and still get silver. I didn't watch online, I was checking the schedule and saw a story about her falling and losing the gold and though for sure with a fall she'd be out of the medals. I actually started laughing when I saw she won silver anyways! That's AMAZING. I can understand her being disappointed in her performance, but it sounds like she knows how good she is (in a good way, not a cocky way) and isn't letting the silver define her perception of her abilities.

~Katy

Bogwobbit, Sorry. But, not sure how this could be your fourth time merging one of my posts... I haven't even posted four times, since I am new to this forum. And my two other posts have never been moved...

Bogwobbit, Sorry. But, not sure how this could be your fourth time merging one of my posts... I haven't even posted four times, since I am new to this forum. And my two other posts have never been moved...

Confused you with another noob! Sorry.

The bit that annoys me with Pena's 'vault' is that the judges are not slamming it with every deduction possible. Produnova performed the double front at 1999 worlds and was landing in a much safer way, not a great landing position but I don't think anyone feared for her safety with the way she performed it. Produnova was hit hard with deductions for her vault. I don't understand how this new code is better when it continues to allow someone to attempt near suicide on a high difficulty in the hopes of making the Olympics/finals/medal.

Yelena Produnova - 1999 Worlds EF - Vault 1 - YouTube Produnova

Yamilet Peña (DOM) 2011 Worlds EF VT - YouTube Pena

Not one stuck landing on vault, and the silver medalist goes out of bounds, then falls on the 2nd vault. Proof the current COP is messed.

Not one stuck landing on vault, and the silver medalist goes out of bounds, then falls on the 2nd vault. Proof the current COP is messed.

I'm not sure I agree. I think the current COP does a decent job- it rewards difficulty. How often have we criticized how people weren't rewarded enough for doing difficult things because they were more likely to get deductions greater than the added value of the skill? I like that this code leaves the possibility of doing something difficult imperfectly and it still being worth it, particularly because of the potential for injuries. Trying to do it safely will incur deductions at times, like deciding to take a step or a hop rather than trying to hard to stick and getting a knee or ankle injury.

It's hard to strike that balance between rewarding difficulty vs rewarding perfection. I don't think we'll ever see a perfectly ideal COP. But I think that going out of bounds and sitting down a vault being able to win a medal still shows how much more difficult the vaults she performs are. Her vaults are that much harder- and that much more well performed minus the landings- that she still comes out nearly on top. I think that's pretty cool.

~Katy

The problem with rewarding difficulty the way the current cop does is that people like Pena end up in vault finals performing vaults that are way beyond their abilities.

I also have a hard time with gymnasts me calling with falls.

Where do you draw the line between artistry, mastering a skill and almost killing yourself for high start values.

Would you rather see perfection, or massively chucked skills that shouldn't even be tried in the gym.

Maroneys falls was a total anomaly, but some of the others were clearly chucking vaults that were acquired, though far from perfected.

It is so tough to balance this sport. But it sucks when beam mounts have been reduced to split leaps, as cool mounts are not rewarded, and where everyone is doing dumb leaps on floor as sticking tumbling is so hard for WAG.

I Would love to see some changes

Let's go back to having compulsories!!

I for one would like the code to actually REWARD artistry - Perhaps we need a D, E and A score!

I think falls on vault need to be penalised more. Ok, so it is a 0 for landing without feet first, fair - but Pena for example literally lands on her heels then sits down. I think that should be 0 too. I think the gymnast should have to be on their whole foot - A lot of the time it is obvious as with Hannah Whelan's vault in AA that there is no way possible to stick it even if they do get their feet down first. I guess the problem with this is that it may not always be so obvious one judge might count it, another might not!

Regarding floor - I think they should only be allowed to leap out of 2 tumbles.

I was thinking about that too, but how would they judge that? I think that would lead to a lot of controversies and a whole lot more trouble than it's worth.

I know - it is all so subjective! I'm sure there is a way of doing it though!! I'll get my thinking cap on!

My memory is getting foggy, but I remember a rule at one point that required the judges to take an extra 0.5 off the score if a gymnast fell on a vault due to under rotation. This was under the 10.0 code and was a rule for that country. Perhaps an extra 1.0 mark for this code.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back