Spotting on Vaulting & Deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone tell me if there is a deduction for being spotted on a vault, but not touched? My dd is a Level 8, and does a tsuk. She was not touched by her coach during a recent competion, but the judge told the coack that she deducted for being spotted. I thought only if they were touched would there be a deduction. Does anyone know the rules on this?? Is there some distane the coach must be from the vault??

I think there is a deduction if a coach stands in a certain place when their girls vault. Same with Bars I think. Sorry I do not know for sure or how much of a deduction.

I just looked up vault deductions for level 8. Spotting assistance when landing .50 deduction, spot during vaulting voids vault, coach standing between horse and board .50 deduction (exception RO entry vaults) This is all it says for level 8 vault deductions.

Could it be that he was blocking the view of the judge? standing on the wrong side of the vault so to speak?

I know our coach only stands on the side opposite the judge so not to interfer with the view.

The spotting deduction could be as little as a couple tenths for touching up to 1/2 point for a true spot or support spot. That might even be a loss of skill.

Well, I know that the coach was not standing between the vaulting table and the board, and she was not standing on the wrong side (meaning she was not blocking the judges view), and she did not touch her in the 2nd vault. So, I'm thinking maybe the coach was standing on the mat and maybe that was the problem??

Well, I know that the coach was not standing between the vaulting table and the board, and she was not standing on the wrong side (meaning she was not blocking the judges view), and she did not touch her in the 2nd vault. So, I'm thinking maybe the coach was standing on the mat and maybe that was the problem??

Judges are HAPPY when coaches step in to spot if a spot is necessary. Any judge would be more happy taking a .5 deduction for a spot on a landing...or VOIDing the vault for the coach assisiting on the vault...than watching a gymnast land on her head!

There is no deduction for blocking the judge's view. Some coaches (due to years of spotting injuries) have to spot on one side or another.

If the coach stands in the landing area and does not touch the gymnast, then there is no deduction.

I have the feeling that the deduction is coming from the landing position, which can account for an up to .5 deduction for a low landing, possible squat on landing, height and distance. It adds up really fast.

Thanks for your input lannamavity. I'm glad to hear that there is not deduction for where the coach stands, even if they are blocking the view of the judge (I always wondered about that). I do believe that my dd had a low squat landing...so i guess that obviously didn't help her score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back