Parents Spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tmbm1019

Proud Parent
What does it take for a coach to spot a child when they are struggling to do something, such as a back handspring on trampoline? My child is 10, was in the advanced group, stopped doing gymnastics and just started up again after 9 months off. My child has done the back handspring on tramp before, but is struggling with it right now. The coach refuses to spot him, he just stands there and says "I've seen you do it before". There is no other coach for this group, being that it's a small group. This has caused a lot of stress on my child and we are now quitting again. I cannot push my child to go because gymnastics was supposed to be a stress release from school and not cause more stress. There are other coaches at the gym that are more than happy to help other kids on other teams/recreational classes knowing the child is having a mental block or fear of, but this coach doesn't seem to think that is necessary and doesn't work that way! Now remember, my child hasn't been to gymnastics for almost a year so it's like starting all over again. Is this normal for coaches not to help kids when they are struggling and not spot them, expecting them to just "Do It"?

I have seen many spots on tramp (my DD does do t&t afterall) but it sounds like it's just against the coaches philosophy. Lots of coaches just do not spot, or just do not spot if they know a kid can do a skill. Been there. Maybe you could ask for your child to be put into a different level group, with a different coach? I know that's not a thing on teams, but I've seen it in rec.

At our gym most coaches spot on floor and tramp to help kids improve & get the skills. Unfortunately this is the only group for boys other than the beginner boys. It's a combo of advanced boys and boys that compete since there are so few boys at the gym. My son isn't ready for competing yet, he just likes the sport and it's unfortunate that something that's supposed to be fun isn't because of one person.

I'd see about moving his class, even if it's to beginner for a short time. Or if it's a situation where it's truly spot or be done, it wouldn't hurt to ask for another opinion, like from a rec class manager.

Worst case... Are there other gyms nearby with a similarly leveled class?

Is it possible that the coach is assuming your DS didn't have a long break, but rather took classes with a different instructor or at another gym? If they don't know, it may need to be communicated.

I could see not spotting once a skill is solid, but when new or with big regressions, that's different.

FWIW, both my kids have been spotted on BHS on tramp. Both in rec and on team. Frequency and length of time has seemed to vary some from coach to coach.

It's not uncommon for their gym with new skills.

Does this coach spot other children, just not your son? Or does he not spot at all? I do not know much about spotting but I can see where a spot especially on tramp might be physically too taxing for coaches with injuries or an older person?

According to my son, 13 and on team: his coaches will spot on this skill both on tramp and floor. And usually if the child asks for a spot, they will spot. They only will not if the coach has seen kid do it really well- recently. Then coach may say "I don't want to spot you, because you do not need it." But if the kid is afraid, it sometimes helps for the coach to stand there so as to be able to spot if something goes wrong.

If other coaches at the gym will spot, maybe a temporary move to another class or even a private session to work this skill makes sense.

Our kids do a ton of drills, with mats and wedges and spotted on the floor for form and such. When they move to tramp they are at the point where they can mostly solo and landings are into the foam pit. So they have been well drilled and spotted before they even get to the tramp.

When they and the coach after many many many Reps on tramp they take it back out to the floor without the spot.

Coach doesn't spot anyone. There is no place to move since this is the only boy class because there aren't many boys. This is also HC/owner of the gym. I might see about doing a private with another trainer this week to help him past this and go from there.

I think the private is a good idea if he wants to continue. My ds has been spotted on tramp, most recently on double backs. Drills are great, but sometimes they just need that one spot to get them over the hump.

Good luck! I hope you can get past this with him. It is such a great sport for boys!

Another thought is there any other gyms/your gym that does tumbling classes? A term or few holiday tumbling class working on the bhs with a different coach might work.

Like MILGymFAM my DD does T&T so we see spotting on trampoline and the rod floor. That said, DD was spot on the tumble track in artistic at her old gym pretty consistently when learning new skills. I wonder if the coach isn't comfortable spotting.

Coach doesn't spot anyone. There is no place to move since this is the only boy class because there aren't many boys. This is also HC/owner of the gym. I might see about doing a private with another trainer this week to help him past this and go from there.
When we have a "no spotting" issue (such as on beam), but DD needs it "just that one time because she's afraid she doesn't remember how to do it" (after being out from injury), we will get a private, telling the coach that it's not that she really needs the spot, it's just that she's afraid her brain doesn't remember it. (and true to form, she does it once with the spot there, and BAM, it's back!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back