WAG Squat and pullover help??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Brittneyyy

Gymnast
I just got back in the gym after three months of a broken ankle and recovering from an eating disorder. I've always struggled with bars especially pullovers due to not eating well and lack of upper body strength. Getting back in the gym has went pretty well, I'm not all that far behind. One thing I'm struggling with is getting my squat on back and my pullover. We never really worked on the squat on when I was in the gym, so I'm having trouble with it. I had my pullover before, but I always struggled with it because, like stated before, not eating well and lack of upper body strength due to not eating well. I have lost my pullover since I hadn't been in the gym. I'm really close, I pull my chin to the bar but I can only get my thighs to the bar, With a slight push from the coach I can get my hips over. And with the squat on I can get high enough but I either bang my shins and my toes are pointed or only get one foot stable on it and the other my ankle is on it and it's pointed.
It's strange because I have all the other skills but those. Any tips, please?

I don't know what a squat is, but as for the pullover, I would suggest jumping up which will basically pull you up to the chin up position with little to no effort than use that momentum to swing your legs back around. When we did pullovers the first times I did what you're doing now then after trying that I got my pullover on the third try and haven't missed it since and I struggled with an eating disorder too.

I don't know what a squat is, but as for the pullover, I would suggest jumping up which will basically pull you up to the chin up position with little to no effort than use that momentum to swing your legs back around. When we did pullovers the first times I did what you're doing now then after trying that I got my pullover on the third try and haven't missed it since and I struggled with an eating disorder too.
I meant squat on on bars! Sorry. Thanks so much I'll try that!

I know you've already been given a tip but this is how I got mine:
Pull up/over - make sure when you're learning to jump, that's how I learnt... Try just jump up to the bar, not on, just to get the feeling, do that about 3 times or until it feels good and then when you're jumping pull your hips towards the bar... And jut keep practicing. That's all I can tell you, the rest is "practice makes perfect".
Squat - what I suggest is get an object, about knee height, make sure it's sturdy, and simply put your hands on and jump on, you've got to bring your shoulders a bit forward and just jump, that's just what your doing on bars. Try this a few times and then do it on the bars, if you still can't do it continue with the step above and then on bars again, "practice makes perfect!"
I hope I got the right squat... If not sorry!!!

I know you've already been given a tip but this is how I got mine:
Pull up/over - make sure when you're learning to jump, that's how I learnt... Try just jump up to the bar, not on, just to get the feeling, do that about 3 times or until it feels good and then when you're jumping pull your hips towards the bar... And jut keep practicing. That's all I can tell you, the rest is "practice makes perfect".
Squat - what I suggest is get an object, about knee height, make sure it's sturdy, and simply put your hands on and jump on, you've got to bring your shoulders a bit forward and just jump, that's just what your doing on bars. Try this a few times and then do it on the bars, if you still can't do it continue with the step above and then on bars again, "practice makes perfect!"
I hope I got the right squat... If not sorry!!!
Omg, thank you so much!!! I'll try that. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back