WAG Stacking teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is also a young lady in L8 southern CA who finished up with over 39 and the state meet.....First year, young.....she has been scoring like this since L4.
By the looks of it she is already preparing for Elite......She cant move any faster and she is just an amazing talent.

We competed with Texas Dreams, WOGA and some amazing teams this year......Not one parent was thinking about beating them, or anything. We were all so amazed at watching them and the girls got to make some new friends!
It was truly cool to compete alongside these teams and of course, we knew they are in a different league.

There is also a young lady in L8 southern CA who finished up with over 39 and the state meet.....First year, young.....she has been scoring like this since L4.
By the looks of it she is already preparing for Elite......She cant move any faster and she is just an amazing talent.

We competed with Texas Dreams, WOGA and some amazing teams this year......Not one parent was thinking about beating them, or anything. We were all so amazed at watching them and the girls got to make some new friends!
It was truly cool to compete alongside these teams and of course, we knew they are in a different league.

Wow, those are impressive scores!

Being in NC as well, I have personally seen these gyms that sandbag. They say it is "so the child can feel successful" The real reason is it makes the gym appear successful. Some gyms appear to have their kids progress and move a level per year. The part that no one sees, is that child was ready for level 7 before she started level 4. I've seen the 8 and 9 year old level 8's and 9's at states with almost every joint on their body wrapped. I've seen level 5's (back before the changes to the current levels) do kip, cast handstand in their routines which was technically not allowed. Different philosophies at different gyms, many of which are in place to make the gym look good and attract more customers.
I just get angry when the kid isn't actually being put first.
That is a completely unnecessary reason to hold kids back, for sure. Kids should learn to feel successful given individual triumphs, not placings at a meet. My DD now finally gets it - her place doesn't matter, more so how she is doing over all. I just tread carefully on the "that gym sandbags" talk. Unless a gym consistently is doing so and parents from that gym have spoken about it, one cannot possibly know nor understand their philosophy. Our gym tends to repeat a lot due to wanting that exact individual success that I think most of us parents agree is best for them. Scores of 34s and 35s are not showing "mastery" to our gym (and scores are just a fraction of the decision that goes into movign up). Given a second year, these girls are then able to score 37s, 38s, but moreover are stronger and more capable athletes. Could it look like sandbagging to someone who doesn't understand all the goings on of our gym? Possibly, but we trust the process.

I actually question the exact opposite - why are kids scoring 4s, 5s, and even 6s consistently from certain gyms? To me that deserves more attention as it's just plain unsafe. I never saw such scary bars at a meet this last season, I was questioning why they were the level they were when they clearly should have been a level down at the least.

That is a completely unnecessary reason to hold kids back, for sure. Kids should learn to feel successful given individual triumphs, not placings at a meet. My DD now finally gets it - her place doesn't matter, more so how she is doing over all. I just tread carefully on the "that gym sandbags" talk. Unless a gym consistently is doing so and parents from that gym have spoken about it, one cannot possibly know nor understand their philosophy. Our gym tends to repeat a lot due to wanting that exact individual success that I think most of us parents agree is best for them. Scores of 34s and 35s are not showing "mastery" to our gym (and scores are just a fraction of the decision that goes into movign up). Given a second year, these girls are then able to score 37s, 38s, but moreover are stronger and more capable athletes. Could it look like sandbagging to someone who doesn't understand all the goings on of our gym? Possibly, but we trust the process.

I actually question the exact opposite - why are kids scoring 4s, 5s, and even 6s consistently from certain gyms? To me that deserves more attention as it's just plain unsafe. I never saw such scary bars at a meet this last season, I was questioning why they were the level they were when they clearly should have been a level down at the least.

I think there's a happy medium to found and it sounds like your gym has found it. I don't see how anyone would question a kid being held back who was scoring in the 34-35 range their first year at the level. That's definitely not sandbagging. And I agree that there are some that do the opposite, move kids up that are clearly not ready at all.

And I agree that there are some that do the opposite, move kids up that are clearly not ready at all.
But not all 4s, 5s, and 6s are the same. They are not all unsafe. Sometimes, the kid has the skills in practice and even in warm ups, but they just struggle in the actual meet. At our recent meet, the L6 team scores ranged from 5.95 to 6.35. These scores SUCK, I know. But there were pauses that don't normally happen and casts weren't as high as they were in practice. The L5 team scored 4.8 to 6.95. They all had their L5 routines solidly connected in practice 2 months before the first meet.
Sometimes, you eat the bear and sometimes, the bear eats you.

But not all 4s, 5s, and 6s are the same. They are not all unsafe. Sometimes, the kid has the skills in practice and even in warm ups, but they just struggle in the actual meet. At our recent meet, the L6 team scores ranged from 5.95 to 6.35. These scores SUCK, I know. But there were pauses that don't normally happen and casts weren't as high as they were in practice. The L5 team scored 4.8 to 6.95. They all had their L5 routines solidly connected in practice 2 months before the first meet.
Sometimes, you eat the bear and sometimes, the bear eats you.

This is true. Our team has had a few bar routines in the 6's this year. L5 and L6 bars are rough. And nerves can get the best of them sometimes and doesn't mean it's unsafe. But I've seen the other side too at a meet where L6-10 were combined, I saw some downright SCARY vaults, kids flipping vaults that obviously were not ready. Kids balking on scary skills and were still not made to scratch. It's the things like that that are worrisome to see.

My friend's daughter is a new level 7 and she just scored a 10.0 on vault at her state meet. I looked at all of the vault scores at her state meet and there were a few over 9.9, a few more exactly 9.9 and on down from there. She had a fall on beam that put here in 6th with a 37. something...if she would have stayed on beam she would have scored over a 39! We had one girl from our gym who was the top level 6 gymnast in the nation last year with a 39.425 at state. She is competing level 8 this year and getting 38s. These girls have the most incredible form...toe point, over splits- it's crazy! I wish my son had some of the form that the girls do because if he did he would win it all! lol!

My friend's daughter is a new level 7 and she just scored a 10.0 on vault at her state meet. I looked at all of the vault scores at her state meet and there were a few over 9.9, a few more exactly 9.9 and on down from there. She had a fall on beam that put here in 6th with a 37. something...if she would have stayed on beam she would have scored over a 39! We had one girl from our gym who was the top level 6 gymnast in the nation last year with a 39.425 at state. She is competing level 8 this year and getting 38s. These girls have the most incredible form...toe point, over splits- it's crazy! I wish my son had some of the form that the girls do because if he did he would win it all! lol!

But these amazing girls are not at all what anyone in this thread is referring to! We all know there are super talented girls who score reall well...and good for them! It's more a gym that has entire teams repeating or competing down so they can win...we all know they exist.

I have been following a gymnast on YouTube since she was little. She was level 10 in 5th grade. She has struggled through injuries for the past few years, but this year, as an 8th grader, she decided to compete a partial season. At her state meet, she earned a 38.55 AA. Shestill has 5 years left.
I know who you are talking about. She's a beautiful and talented gymnast!

But these amazing girls are not at all what anyone in this thread is referring to! We all know there are super talented girls who score reall well...and good for them! It's more a gym that has entire teams repeating or competing down so they can win...we all know they exist.
There was the OP talking about sandbagging and then there was a lot of talk about the regions that have many high scores and debating back and forth about inflated scores...Our region does have some very high scoring gymnasts but I think they are earned scores.

How did a fall drop her all around by 2 points?

I think there are differences because we are in one of the "weaker" regions and my daughter always made it to JOs, never with a 39, twice with a 38, and a few 37s, and she always held her own and did well at JOs with all regions, placing top 10 in events and the AA.....
what region are you in? i was told by our HC that our region, 6, is considered the weakest. :oops:

There was the OP talking about sandbagging and then there was a lot of talk about the regions that have many high scores and debating back and forth about inflated scores...Our region does have some very high scoring gymnasts but I think they are earned scores.[/QUOTE

Oh gotcha! I understand what you were saying now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back