Coaches Stalder/Toe-on for Level 5 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Anybody have kids competing a stalder or toe-on instead of a free hip? If so, how are you training it? How's it working for you? What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages compared to a free hip?

I have a few girls drilling towards them, but so far it looks like when competition rolls around, free hips are what they'll probably use in-routine.

Yes we are working on it. Just teaching it to the drill finish (support with no hip extension) which is all they require for credit. Let you know in a few months. Currently we are working them the same as usual, standing on low block and jumping into them on straps , floor bar drills etc.. We always work all three.

Agree with you both. Spend about 50% on free hips, 25% on Stalders and 25% on toe ons, but at the end of the day, I believe we will compete the free hip for L5,6 and some girls 7. Having said that, we still have quite a bit of time left, and if a couple of the girls show some aptitude towards one of the others, I wouldn't mind having her compete it. So, I too will wait and let you know about mid summer. Would also like to hear your progress as well.

Mine will probably be doing free hips as well. I really would like them to have stalders or toe ons, but right now the clear hip is just so much easier to spot and get reps on. We are doing drills for all three though.

This week is the last week of our season, so next week starts new skill training. I was planning on teaching progressions for this and clear hips. I'd like to give my girls options in case some are not good at clear hipping. What progressions do you use?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back