MAG Start Value (Div 2)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

MrsAnderson

Coach
Proud Parent
For some reason I was under the impression that all compulsory start value in Div 2 was a 9.8 and the boys could raise that to a 10.0 if they stuck.

When the card came back from a recent meet, I saw ALL 6 events had either a 9.5 or 9.7 start value. He has no missing elements and he stuck several events...help me to understand?

Ok...so I think I figured this out. There is also a .3 virtuosity score that can be added? Apparently received nothing for virtuosity, lol.

Reactions: sce
Well, virtuosity would not be factored into the start value, but awarded as they go on. The start value would just be the skills...so the overall max score woudl be 10, but the start value would be 9.5. At least that is how I understand it. I know in optionals, their start values do not include stick bonus or low deduction bonuses....but I am not a coach or a judge :) so I am just making a guess

Well, virtuosity would not be factored into the start value, but awarded as they go on. The start value would just be the skills...so the overall max score woudl be 10, but the start value would be 9.5. At least that is how I understand it. I know in optionals, their start values do not include stick bonus or low deduction bonuses....but I am not a coach or a judge :) so I am just making a guess

That's my understanding now.
:)
9.5 + .3 virtuosity + .2stick = 10.0

I am not a fan of virtuosity, seems so subjective. It seems that if the boys do the skill really well, they should just receive no deduction. :/

My son recently got first on an event and it had a 9.7 start value. So he did the best on an event and had nothing the judge liked for virtuosity?

You won't always know that. So, not sure what he scored, but if the start value was 9..7 and he scored a 9.4, he could have had .6 in deductions and .3 in virtuosity. And the virtuosity is not just "the judge liked it" but there are specifics for virtuosity. These could include split angles on leaps, holding handstands for a specified amount of time, etc.

Yes, it's 9.5 plus 0.2 stick plus 0.3 virtuosity. Bonuses can add 1.0 to 2.0, depending on level.

My wish is still that they'd get a critique once in a while explaining what judges deducted for. My son has had high bar scores this season ranging from 9.4 1st to 9.9 2nd to twice 10.5 1st. He hasn't added more bonuses or anything, and to me, all the 1st place ones look pretty similar. (I think his second place one was a little sloppy and he got tenthed to death on that one.) But the 9.4 scoring judge obviously took more deductions (for everyone) than the 10.5 judges. So what were the additional 1.1 full points he lost?

It's not a question of fairness or anything, I do believe they saw those deductions. I just want to know what they were!

Usually it's clear from observation if the athlete stuck the dismount, so one can deduce whether an extra .2 in SV (i.e., a 9.7 SV) was awarded for the stick bonus, or (if the dismount wasn't stuck) for virtuosity. If the SV is 9.6, then that should reflect a virtuosity award since stick is .2.

This is my understanding anyway!

My wish is still that they'd get a critique once in a while explaining what judges deducted for.

Our old gym hired a judge to come in before the first comp and give scores with explanations. Our current gym does a mock meet before the season starts where it's exactly like a full meet, but the judges and coaches talk through the routines in detail. It took forever this year to sort through all the changes, but definitely helped our boys and coaches avoid text errors and understand what judges were looking for. Worth the time if you can get your gym to do something like this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back