WAG Start value?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cartwheelmom

Proud Parent
Can someone please explain start values. My DD's start value on floor was 9.7. Her tumbling passes on floor are robhsbt and fhsft for level 6.

Each level has 4 special requirements, each of which are worth .5. If you don't meet these requirements, .5 is taken off of your start value for every requirement you miss. You are also required to have a certain amount of "leveled" skills. These are what "A" "B" "C" and so on and so forth skills are. A's are the 'easiest', increasing with difficulty throughout the alphabet. Level 6 requires you to have 5 "A" value skills and 1 "B" value skill. For every "A" skill you don't have, .1 is taken off of your start value. For every "B", .3 is taken off of your start value. Likely, your DD was missing a "B" skill, leaving her with a 9.7 start value. Common "B" skills in level 6 are switch leaps, 1.5 turns, front pikes, pike jumps, and straddle jumps. I hope I helped!

And if they don't perform the skill well enough, they don't get credit for it plus they get deductions. Say your DD has a switch leap but doesn't get it to the required height.... She looses the value of the skill (.3) plus get deductions for form etc (someone please correct me if I'm incorrect, this is how it was explained to me by both our floor coach and our choreographer recently as my DD was "missing" a B... Not really, she had it in there just wasn't performing it up to par but now she has a couple in reserve!)

And having sat at the judges table all weekend at our home meet I realized that sometimes the judges lower the SV when a skill doesn't meet the requirements and sometimes they just take a big deduction off the 10 SV. The 2 I sat with were frequently starting from different SVs because they looked at things differently. It was interesting.

And if they don't perform the skill well enough, they don't get credit for it plus they get deductions. Say your DD has a switch leap but doesn't get it to the required height.... She looses the value of the skill (.3) plus get deductions for form etc (someone please correct me if I'm incorrect, this is how it was explained to me by both our floor coach and our choreographer recently as my DD was "missing" a B... Not really, she had it in there just wasn't performing it up to par but now she has a couple in reserve!)

You are pretty much correct. There are certain standards for each skill in order to make it "that" skill as opposed to another skill. For example, on a switch leap, they have to show at least 45 degrees of split in the first split, and then switch to at least 135 degrees of split in order for it to be recognized as a "B" switch leap. Otherwise it is an "A" leap or an "A" jump variation. Sometimes one judge will think a gymnast made the minimum requirement, and give it "B" credit, but say, take 0.2 for "insufficient split." The other judge will think she didn't make the minimum requirement and not give it "B" credit, but then she also doesn't take a deduction. This happens with tumbling and vault too. One judge may think a skill was layed-out enough to call it a lay out (but take a deduction for it being a pikey-layout) while the other may think she was mostly piked and give her credit for the pike.

Tumbling seems fine. All she needs is a tumbling pass with 3 elements - aka her RO-BHS-BT, and a salto - aka her front tuck or back tuck in either pass. What are the dance elements that she does? Sounds like she's missing a B element, as they are worth 3 tenths and her SV is a 9.7. Does she have a leap connected to a jump? That is one of the requirements. Does she do a regular split leap or a switch leap? Is her jump a tuck, straddle, or pike? What type of turn does she do? Full turn or full and a half? I think the answer to what you're looking for is in her dance skills. Until we know what those skills are, we cannot tell you what she is missing.

Also keep in mind, leap and jump requirements for levels 6-10 must be 180 degrees. Depending on how far off she is, she could potentially lose credit for the element. So she might have all the right skill but is not receiving credit for them do to her execution. We have all our 6s do 2 'B' skills that way if something happens to one of them, they have a backup.

Tumbling seems fine. All she needs is a tumbling pass with 3 elements - aka her RO-BHS-BT, and a salto - aka her front tuck or back tuck in either pass. What are the dance elements that she does? Sounds like she's missing a B element, as they are worth 3 tenths and her SV is a 9.7. Does she have a leap connected to a jump? That is one of the requirements. Does she do a regular split leap or a switch leap? Is her jump a tuck, straddle, or pike? What type of turn does she do? Full turn or full and a half? I think the answer to what you're looking for is in her dance skills. Until we know what those skills are, we cannot tell you what she is missing.

Also keep in mind, leap and jump requirements for levels 6-10 must be 180 degrees. Depending on how far off she is, she could potentially lose credit for the element. So she might have all the right skill but is not receiving credit for them do to her execution. We have all our 6s do 2 'B' skills that way if something happens to one of them, they have a backup.

Her first meet her start value was a 10 but she aslo did do a switch leap. Her couch took out the switch leap and put in the FH-FT for the meet she just did. She did a split leap and a wolf jump.

Her first meet her start value was a 10 but she aslo did do a switch leap. Her couch took out the switch leap and put in the FH-FT for the meet she just did. She did a split leap and a wolf jump.

Split leap is an A (her previous switch leap was a B) , wolf jump is an A.
Unless she has a full and a half turn she is missing a B, which is 0.3 off her SV.

FH-FT is A + A. If she switched to a front pike, it would be a A + B.

Basically she is missing a B skill. She either needs to do a switch leap, straddle jump/pike jump after her leap, or a pike front. There are tons of other options but those are the most heavily used by L6s.

Split leap is an A (her previous switch leap was a B) , wolf jump is an A.
Unless she has a full and a half turn she is missing a B, which is 0.3 off her SV.

FH-FT is A + A. If she switched to a front pike, it would be a A + B.

Basically she is missing a B skill. She either needs to do a switch leap, straddle jump/pike jump after her leap, or a pike front. There are tons of other options but those are the most heavily used by L6s.

After practice tonight DD said that her coach had her practice a FHS-FP. If she does that well they will leave it if not they will put the switch leap back in cause she does that very well.

After practice tonight DD said that her coach had her practice a FHS-FP. If she does that well they will leave it if not they will put the switch leap back in cause she does that very well.

If I were her coaches I would put both if she can do them well. Honestly it's better to have 2 B's incase one falls through. Of course then you're setting yourself up for a harder routine and therefore more deductions, but if she accidentally messes up her her front handspring somehow and has to tuck her legs mid way through her pike front, she loses the value and ends up with no B. It's a risky game we play as floor/beam coaches ;) Take the safe route and put more skills in but risk more deductions, or put the least amount of skills in for less chance of execution errors but a greater chance of losing an element if something goes wrong. Our gym usually tends to opt for the first option, and put more in incase something falls through. BUT, I know you're not her choreographer/coach and ultimately have no say in how she does her routine. Just hope this helped. Good luck to your DD! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back