WAG Start Value

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
So, how does it work? DD competed today, XP. One of the judges gave her a 10.0 start value and the other showed a 9.5 start value. So, how do they cone up with a score in that case? Do they have to agree on her start value? Do they just calculate their individual scores (using their start values) and then average them. Something elae entirely?

I worked at a Level 9 session of a meet. The judges agreed on SV for every routine except 1 in that session. I saw them discuss it briefly, and they seemed to agree to disagree, and each kept their original SV showing. Each appeared to score the routine based on their start value, and the 2 scores were averaged to get the final score.

Interestingly, the judge with the lower SV ended up giving the higher score.

I think there is a rule about how far apart the judges scores can be. For example they could only be off by .5 And if they were more off than that they would need to talk and figure out how to get closer. Assuming they are within the appropriate window they would just average the scores.

Did you see the judges talking after the routine? I could also see a circumstance where they might talk it out and change the scores on their cards or in the computer but not remember to change the flip card?

Can you tell by her score what they may have averaged from? I know that might be hard.

Sometimes you just never know. Her coaches might have though. Did they ask?

Mostly just gotta shake your head and move on. Oh this crazy sport.

Judges can and do disagree on start values, usually in regards to connections requirements or angle requirements. I might say, “this gymnast did a dance series, so I’m going to give her a 10 start value, but the connection was slow so I’ll take a 0.2 deduction.” The other judge might say, “No way! I saw her left foot move and so it’s not a dance series. She gets a 9.5 SV.” That other judge, however, wouldn’t take a deduction for the slow connection. We’d flash our separate start values, add up our deductions, and calculate our individual scores, and then average them - just like normal. We also usually note to the coach, “hey, one of us gave x but the other didn’t, so she better work on it to make sure she gets credit next time.”

Thanks. She got an 8.6. I think she lost her SV on her cast out of her high bar kip into her flyaway dismount. Although maybe her cast on law bar wasnt high enough - who knows.

One of them had a little table tent thing with a 9.5 and the other had a 10.0. I didnt really notice if they spoke afterwards because I was busy taking pics of the team being cute together.

I think her coaches are working on both casts. She was happy that she got credit from 1 of the judges. She hasn't had a 10.0 on bars yet this season, so she feels that she is having some improvements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back