Coaches Start Values

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the start value for Level 8 beam when competing a backwalkover backhandspring instead of bhs bhs.Is their another skill to make up for the lost points?

not sure about the start value but isn't it a stated requirement that there are 2 elements with flight? (thought that was the major difference in lv 7 and level 8)

The L8 beam "flight" "series" "acro" whatever you want to call it, is two "moving" skills (also passing through vertical), at least one with flight. Under the current definition, a back walkover directly connected to a back handspring fulfills the requirement and therefore will not lower the SV.

The L7 requirement for a long time was two directly connected non-flight elements, but the rules have been changed to amend this restriction and now any two connected skills (as long as they are A or B value) are acceptable. A handstand connected to BWO or BHS is okay in L7 but it is my understanding in L8 it must be a "moving" skill, therefore a HS BHS will not fulfill that requirement.

Each requirement is worth .5. There is no way to make up a requirement.

Although since BHS BHS is rather common in L8 now, depending on the other elements in the routine they might take .1 or .2 for not up the level.

Thank you so much gymdog.At the mock meet she did not connect backwalkover bwo and tried to compensate by doing handstand backwalkover.She had a very low score and was told to add another jump in her routine to fullfill(I can't remember if it was a a or b skill) her requirements if she does the handstand bwo.Now she does a switchleap and a wolfjump in case she does not connect bwo bwo and has to compensate.She is competing in her 2nd year of Level 7 and is very close to Level 8.Thanks again.

I had a level 8 a few years ago that had difficulty with the bhs bhs combination and bw - bhs. We added a front handspring in her routing to take the 2 flight.

Thank you so much gymdog.At the mock meet she did not connect backwalkover bwo and tried to compensate by doing handstand backwalkover.She had a very low score and was told to add another jump in her routine to fullfill(I can't remember if it was a a or b skill) her requirements if she does the handstand bwo.Now she does a switchleap and a wolfjump in case she does not connect bwo bwo and has to compensate.She is competing in her 2nd year of Level 7 and is very close to Level 8.Thanks again.

Oh okay. I should have clarified. Each level has value part requirements and "special requirements." The level-specific acro series requirement is a special requirement. All special requirements must be met with acceptable skills or series of skills in order to achieve a 10.0 SV (i.e. nothing can be made up). The value requirements specify the overall difficulty of the routine. These specify 7-8 skills (depending on level). It's pretty straightforward. Level 8 needs 4 As and 4 Bs. Level 7, 5 As and 2 Bs. Level 9, 3 As, 4 Bs, 1 C, and L10, 3 As, 3 Bs, 2 Cs. These are minimum. If, for example, you did 5 Bs and 3 As in Level 8, this would be acceptable as you a) completed the minimum 8 skills and b) had 4 B (the highest amount required) skills. In level 9, you could do 3 Cs, 3 Bs, and 2 As, and meet the requirements.

However the value part requirements are worth less than the special requirements. Missing an "A" skill is a .1 deduction, and missing a "B" skill is a .3 deduction. Both handstand and back walkover are "A" skills, so a HS BWO and BWO BWO connection have the same value of A+A. This is, however, assuming that the HS was held at vertical for a minimum of 2 seconds, in order to receive A value credit. If this was not achieved, then it would not be eligible for credit for the series either. So basically if they didn't give it an A (and she was therefore missing an A) then they also didn't her the special requirement which is a .5 deduction. I hope that makes sense but I'd have to see the routine to say what the likely scenario is for sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back