Parents Starting a gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MabelSt

Proud Parent
I'm seriously thinking about starting a gym as a business. Has anyone ever done this? I have no experience, but I could do all the admin work and hire a good head coach. Do you think its totally unrealistic?

I've just gone through some life transitions and I need something new to do. I have about $40,000 saved right now, not sure if that's enough to get started- equipment is so expensive. I need to make a business plan and see if it's possible.

Owning a gym is incredibly rewarding but it is also incredibly hard work. Be prepared for it to take over every moment of your life. If you are truly passionate about gymnastics then this will be an amazing job, if not then don't go down that road.

You need to think deeply about what your philosophy is as a gym owner. Why do you want to own a gym? What do you want to achieve? What gymsports will be offered? What is the emphasis? Do you want a recreational gym or a highly competitive gym? How do you want your gymnasts trained? What is going to make your gym special and stand out from your competitors? If you are going to hire a head coach you need ones whose goals and beliefs are inline with yours.

What area are you looking to buy into? What sort of other gyms are in the area? Are there a lot of families? Are those families well off enough to afford classes?

$40000 will buy you one sprung floor. You will need to take out a loan to equip a gym.

Lot of incredibly hard work and hours. And you might make enough to support yourself. Good Luck.

I started my own gym several years ago and it is amazing! Everyday is exciting. But, some things to think about... finding a knowledgeable head coach is not easy. Finding reliable teachers for rec classes is really hard. If you are lucky to find instructors willing to work the weird coaching hours, it's nearly impossible to keep them long term, no matter how much you pay them. Every day is marketing hell. Trying to find ways to advertise and spread the word of why your gym is so awesome is exhausting. Struggling to make enough money just to pay a head coach, if you aren't the head coach and all the expenses is really tough. If you are in it for money, don't bother. But, if you are in it because you love kids and you love gymnastics, then it's absolutely worth it and the best feeling in the world to create a place for children to learn and grow!
Just my experience and opinions. I'm not trying to crush your dreams. Best of luck to you!

I started my own gym several years ago and it is amazing! Everyday is exciting. But, some things to think about... finding a knowledgeable head coach is not easy. Finding reliable teachers for rec classes is really hard. If you are lucky to find instructors willing to work the weird coaching hours, it's nearly impossible to keep them long term, no matter how much you pay them. Every day is marketing hell. Trying to find ways to advertise and spread the word of why your gym is so awesome is exhausting. Struggling to make enough money just to pay a head coach, if you aren't the head coach and all the expenses is really tough. If you are in it for money, don't bother. But, if you are in it because you love kids and you love gymnastics, then it's absolutely worth it and the best feeling in the world to create a place for children to learn and grow!
Just my experience and opinions. I'm not trying to crush your dreams. Best of luck to you!
thanks! That sounds amazing! I wouldn't be in it for the money. I would just be in it to give kids an awesome gym. I don't really need to make money, I just need the gym to cover its own costs.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back