Starting a new rec gym in Vietnam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! This is my first post here, but I think you guys will be helpful.

I'm starting a new endeavor, and I'm looking for help/advice/opinions. I've just been hired as the Program Developer and Head Coach of a new gymnastics center in Saigon, Vietnam. It's actually an English school that has decided to branch out and try teaching English through gymnastics. They're experts at the ESL (english as a second language) thing, but they know nothing about gymnastics. Which is why they've hired me as the "expert". Yikes!

I grew up in the gym (rec), coached on and off for 9 years, and did some supervision/management work, as well as a bit of administration work. I've also taught English for 3 years, so I've got a pretty good handle on things.

But I'm coming to you for help! I'm being asked to create the entire curriculum, level program, coaches training program, etc from scratch. We have a facility, but it's not fully finished, so I think I'll be able to order some new stuff, and move stuff around. I'm trying to come up with age and level appropriate skill lists, as well as lists of rules and regulations for the gym, etc. I've scoured various country's gym websites looking for information, and I've started to compile it.

Just to give a bit more information, the gym is rec only, and will initially only be for 4-7 year olds, although I hope to expand that in the future. They want the program modeled after the MyGym and LittleGym businesses that are all over the States. So that means a very recreational, fun, "whole child" approach. Lots of singing and games, dancing, as well as encorperating some basic movements from other sports (kicking, throwing, hitting...). But the foundation is gymnastics. We'll have a ton of kindergym equipment, lots of blocks and mats and balls, ladders, small beams, small bars... But I'm not sure if we'll have an trampolines, and certainly no vault (though possibly a beat board).

So, if anyone can provide me with links to websites, or could email me examples of master lesson plans (year-long, or multi-year long, not daily), or examples of various level systems, or any other management resources, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks so much in advance!!
(My email address is sarah.polygym@gmail.com)

Congratulations Sarah! Best of luck with it, I'll look through and see what I have and send you anything that might be worth while. I hope that other coaches here will help you too :)

Hey Sarah welcome to the Chalkbucket.

I often find the best way to get what you need here is to post posts for each one using very direct titles, that way the coaches who are browsing the threads can quickly see which ones they can answer.

Good luck on this huge adventure!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back