WAG Starting a new TOPs program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm starting the TOPs program mainly for my benefit, although I feel some of the girls could have a good experience with it too. It's just a bonus, really.

To contrast with the opinions you've gotten before re. real TOPS v. TOPS as a revenue stream, here is the perspective of the parent of a child who would not be asked to participate in a "real TOPS" program.

Given your motivation and goals, I wonder if you would consider opening your program to a wider range of kids than just those you'd expect to qualify for national testing. When I heard of TOPS, my first thought was that it sounded like a great conditioning program that could benefit a lot of kids, and I wished my kid's gym had it, especially since conditioning was inconsistent at that gym. I would have been perfectly willing to pay extra for TOPS classes to have my kid learn press handstands and build strength and speed that would help her progress. I would have wanted to be told up front that for her this was not intended to be the path to the Olympics or national testing, just a way to improve her chances of success in JO. I wouldn't even have minded being told flat-out that you were setting up the program as a way to improve your coaching skills--I'd have been happy to have my child participate in that experiment.

To contrast with the opinions you've gotten before re. real TOPS v. TOPS as a revenue stream, here is the perspective of the parent of a child who would not be asked to participate in a "real TOPS" program.

Given your motivation and goals, I wonder if you would consider opening your program to a wider range of kids than just those you'd expect to qualify for national testing. When I heard of TOPS, my first thought was that it sounded like a great conditioning program that could benefit a lot of kids, and I wished my kid's gym had it, especially since conditioning was inconsistent at that gym. I would have been perfectly willing to pay extra for TOPS classes to have my kid learn press handstands and build strength and speed that would help her progress. I would have wanted to be told up front that for her this was not intended to be the path to the Olympics or national testing, just a way to improve her chances of success in JO. I wouldn't even have minded being told flat-out that you were setting up the program as a way to improve your coaching skills--I'd have been happy to have my child participate in that experiment.
In our gym there is an invitation only TOPS team as well as additional TOPS conditioning classes made available to those who are not invited.

Our gym also offers different options. currently there is no official TOPS group, but there are a couple different age groups hoping to eventually test that have invite only groups and we also offer a few classes a week for team kids who want the extra conditioning, they are all inexpensive.

Our TOPS program is 2x a week 2 hours and kids have to be invited. 4 girls go one day and 4 go another day (3 girls go both days) so it's not a huge group. My dd loves the conditioning. They will also work on skills and before meets run thru the routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back