Coaches Starting A Program From Scratch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Experienced Coaches -
If you had the freedom to start a WAGprogram from scratch (gym has a not strong at all pre-k program) - where would you start.

To make it more interesting, let’s say you have a strong coaching background in power tumbling, but weren’t all that familiar with coaching bars, beam, or dance, what resources would you use to get your coaching skills up to snuff.

For the first year or two the current plan is to build up a small staff, build a rec program that could hold up to 100 class enrollments, and start a team right off the bat, but only up to level 3 for the first year.

Is it doable? And even if you don’t think it is, what would you do with that end goal in mind if you found yourself in that position.

where would you start.
What is your goal?

To make it more interesting, let’s say you have a strong coaching background in power tumbling, but weren’t all that familiar with coaching bars, beam, or dance, what resources would you use to get your coaching skills up to snuff.
Experience... just start and go from there.

And I would use this site. Ask more specific questions though.

For the first year or two the current plan is to build up a small staff, build a rec program that could hold up to 100 class enrollments, and start a team right off the bat, but only up to level 3 for the first year.
I would definitely not limit levels... what if you have a kid that should be Level 4? Also... class enrollments don't really mean that much if you are not priced correctly. Make sure you price your classes like a real business would.

Is it doable? And even if you don’t think it is, what would you do with that end goal in mind if you found yourself in that position.
Totally.

Write a business plan that has to do with money... not gymnastics. After you figure out your basic finances... you will have answers to many of your questions.

What is your goal?

Experience... just start and go from there.

And I would use this site. Ask more specific questions though.

I would definitely not limit levels... what if you have a kid that should be Level 4? Also... class enrollments don't really mean that much if you are not priced correctly. Make sure you price your classes like a real business would.

Totally.

Write a business plan that has to do with money... not gymnastics. After you figure out your basic finances... you will have answers to many of your questions.

I probably should have been a little more specific, but money and the business plan aren’t a worry. This is an addition to a fast growing and well established business with a large Rec tumbling, competitive cheer, and pre-k program that is building a gorgeous facility with everything I’d like except for a pit and high enough ceilings for a euro tramp.

The thought process behind limiting levels is a lack of experience in coaching this sport specifically, which we are attempting to find but it hasn’t been easy. We don’t want to give a bad experience or oversell our abilities. We expect to have some interest from two competing gyms athletes that don’t have the business part right, but I don’t want to offer something we can’t deliver on.

The long term goals are to build the program up enough to house around 200 rec gym enrollments, have an optional team, an excel team, and to systemize everything we do in preparation for a second location, in a mega-facility in a nearby area with a much larger market.

Regarding getting experience I would find yourself a good mentor coach, go and work with them as a volunteer, you can learn loads just from watching a few practices if this isn't an option.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back