Starting her Period - What to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, actually fischimes sit ups are supposed to be one of the best methods to help with cramps.

It's ok!

Yeah, I just got mine too. :( It takes time to get used to. Do you wear shorts at practice? That might make you feel more comfortable. Don't start out with tampons yet. Get comfortable with pads and liners.It's ok. It happens to every girl eventually!

Watch how heavy her periods get and how often this happens. My best friend went through a really bad time with hers. Excessive heaviness for several days and her cramps hurt a lot. Medication was the only thing that helped a little but even there she was often in a lot of pain. Eventually, she went on the needle which prevents her period from coming. This was the only way she could function.

With that said, if it's controls itself, I would just suggest what the others did. A dark thick leotard and tampons or whichever works best for her. If she's allowed to wear shorts that would be good too. It would probably make her feel less self conscious.

If she can't get the tampons figured out, make an appointment with the nurse practicioner. My dd1 was 12, very small, and had a lot of trouble. It was a co-pay very well spent.

When I got my period right before my 13th birthday, I was dancing a lot and had to wear leotards daily without shorts. In took me a while to figure out tampons (and boy was I glad when I did!), but in the mean time, I wore ultra thin pads. As you don't want them to show through the leotard, I wore a tight skin colored leotard underneath (like this Discount Dance Supply) and attached the pad to that. Then, I put my regular leotard over top. Of course, I went to the bathroom to check on it, but no one ever knew unless I told them and I never had any problems. I found that this was more secure than simply wearing the pad attached to briefs under my leotard, and the nude leotard coupled with a normal leotard made no visible lines or bumps.

As for tampons, I would suggests tampax pearl or something similar in a "light" version at first. U by Kotex makes new tampons now with a clear applicator so she can see the string and how it works. That might make it less scary. You can talk her through it and show her how the applicator works, but she may have to figure it out on her own. Explain that she wants to angle the tampon towards her lower back. I think a lot of people try to insert them at the wrong angle. When I finally figured it out, I took the instruction sheet and the box of tampon in the bathroom. It took a couple of tries, but I got it within five minutes. It is an awkward process, especially if you are unfamiliar with your body, but it will get easier. Also, remind her that the string cannot get lost forever.

Sami started about a year ago and has never been able to get a tampon in--she used pads and only skipped gymnastics a few times at the very beginning.

What's the Lunette??

What's the Lunette??

The Lunette and Diva Cup are menstrual cups; you insert them, they catch the blood and then you empty them twice a day or as needed. They're great! No more buying pads and tampons ever! They do take a little practice to get used to, but then, so do tampons at the beginning. Personally, I agree with the other poster that said they're easier to insert than tampons, because they are smoother and you can put them in the shower or still wet after washing. To be totally honest, the first few times trying to get it OUT were not enjoyable, but I'm a convert now ;)

Hope that wasn't too much information for you! :eek:

I've heard people who have tried the cup (gymnastics people) say they liked it but didn't want to do gymnastics in it. I have no idea why but since it's not very common among teens I guess it's hard to say. Since inserting it hard if the issue is with that part and not the feel then I guess it might not work. Tampons, try the OB kind, they are smaller, no applicator, although that could make things harder. The Playtex Sport kind are good, but I think the OB is more comfortable. If she's not allowed shorts, a dark colored leo and matching briefs.
I loathe no-applicator tampons; what's the point? I love my Diva Cup (I recommend trimming the 'stem,' fyi!). For those who prefer pads, there are cloth pads you can buy that are washable.

For those saying to just go ahead and do gym - some women like me have really painful periods; I have to be medicated just to be able to get out of bed. thank god for hormonal birth control

I totally agree with all the women on here. It takes time to get used to tampons but they work so much better. I used to never be able to use them then all the sudden they just clicked. I know it might be kind of akward talking to your daughter about it and how to use and apply them but it is useful.
I have girls in my gym always ask me questions about it. So if there are any girls your daughter is close with or can trust have her talk to them.

i am assumiing she is quite young and seens as she hasnt evan started with tapons i think using a cup is a step to far to quick and thay may be cheaper but they are easier the older you are especially if you have gone through childbirth(i dont know why you think they are easier for teens). Let her try out applicator and non-aplicator as some people find one more preferable and although people say aplicators are best for starters, let her try non-aplicator

I was a competitive gymnast in the 80's and used tampons- because of all of the stretching that gymnasts do- it did not hurt, and the only obstacle was my anxiety. I sustained an injury that prevented me from returning to gymnastics and joined my high school diving team, where my coach recommended the "moon cup" for the girls. It was as easy as tampons were, just took getting the hang of. I was lucky to have a mother in the medical field, whose knowledge, coupled with her European upbringing enabled her to talk openly about menstruation, my options, and there was never any shame or embarassment. I think, for the long run, an internal device would be the best bet. I am sure feminine hygiene sites have an animated flash instructional video. These with a mirror and a box of tampons and time alone to get familiar with herself should do the trick.

I was a competitive gymnast in the 80's and used tampons- because of all of the stretching that gymnasts do- it did not hurt, and the only obstacle was my anxiety. I sustained an injury that prevented me from returning to gymnastics and joined my high school diving team, where my coach recommended the "moon cup" for the girls. It was as easy as tampons were, just took getting the hang of. I was lucky to have a mother in the medical field, whose knowledge, coupled with her European upbringing enabled her to talk openly about menstruation, my options, and there was never any shame or embarassment. I think, for the long run, an internal device would be the best bet. I am sure feminine hygiene sites have an animated flash instructional video. These with a mirror and a box of tampons and time alone to get familiar with herself should do the trick.
I persoally think its quite funny( not in a rude or direspectful sense) that you beleive that european speak more openly about menstation. As a european i do not feel that we talk more openly about menstartion than in america or australia ( though i dont know how openly people talk about it in arab and middle eastern and asian countries)

Tampons are the way to go. It takes a while to get use to. I had a hard time with it too but once competition season started, i got over it. I thought it would be more imbarrasing to have a pad pop out than anything else. You might want to make sure that your gym has some back ups tucked away, especially if she is going for the pad idea. Hoped i helped a little.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back